ADVERTISEMENT

Is this FR QB Ty Dieffenbach any good?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
He is now past the point where would have to worry about burning a RS. He gets it now regardless. Shouldn't we throw him out there to see if he has anything. Is he that much worse than CV and Yarnell?

• Wow
Reactions: TD_6082 and jctrack
It will never happen as long as doofus and the other doofus are still coaching, but it should. Yarnell has made it into enough games to show he sucks at least as much as the other two.

If you have a guy worth allowing to wear a uniform you should be willing to put him in, if everyone else has been tried already and proven to suck with no hope of improvement. Which has been exactly what has happened here.

Actually it looks like we’ve done that with two QBs already this year
Veilleux can be a good QB in time. I think he has the potential to be really good by the time he's a senior.

Saturday, it looked like he was starting to gain some confidence. - made some good throws to come from behind, up 13-7 with the ball at midfield, then totally shit the bed. ...and the bed shitting did not stop.

Veilleux can be a good QB in time. I think he has the potential to be really good by the time he's a senior.

Saturday, it looked like he was starting to gain some confidence. - made some good throws to come from behind, up 13-7 with the ball at midfield, then totally shit the bed. ...and the bed shitting did not stop.
He has good size, a strong arm, decent athleticism. Lots to work with, but very much a work in progress.

Pretty sure he's been hurt this year.

Otherwise, I'd love to see him get his feet wet with a limited playing book. Pitt fans seem to believe CV is going to follow some Pickett-esque trajectory and just needs more seasoning, but Pickett was showing way better flashes in 2019 than Veilleux is showing in his third year.

Dieffenbach is a potentially good QB. He has been hurt this year. Narduzzi went live putting starting defense against scout offense and allowed them to hit the QB at game speed. Another bad call by Narduzzi.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack

Otherwise, I'd love to see him get his feet wet with a limited playing book. Pitt fans seem to believe CV is going to follow some Pickett-esque trajectory and just needs more seasoning, but Pickett was showing way better flashes in 2019 than Veilleux is showing in his third year.
He's not going to ever be anywhere close to what Kenny Pickett was. But he's also only started 5 games. And he really doesn't have much of a running game to lean on to help him out.

He has good size, a strong arm, decent athleticism. Lots to work with, but very much a work in progress.
Totally disagree. He is afraid of contact, you cant coach fear out of a guy like that. He could be good in touch football. The kid is not a football player. He is afraid to lower the shoulder and run . If he does run he heads to the sideline.

Totally disagree. He is afraid of contact, you cant coach fear out of a guy like that. He could be good in touch football. The kid is not a football player. He is afraid to lower the shoulder and run . If he does run he heads to the sideline.

He enjoys sliding before 1st down markers to avoid getting hit, that's for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: jctrack and Pitt79
Of course he's not a football player. He's a quarterback.

Joking aside, Veilleux is very strange when it comes to contact. I've seen him stand in the pocket several times and make a good throw when he knows he's going to be hit. But your observation is spot on when it comes to Veilleux as a runner.

Yarnell has made it into enough games to show he sucks at least as much as the other two.
I don't get this sentiment at this time. I still feel like we've seen relatively little of him; and what we have seen has been more good than bad. The first series he was in vs. Syracuse was probably the worst he's looked, but he was still 3/5 on the day when it is all said and done. Every other time he has got in a game he has done well.

He may very well suck as much as the other two, but the other 2 have sucked enough that I think Yarnell deserves a look as the starter for a game before writing him off as being as bad or worse than the other 2. It's already a bad season, it's not like him starting the last two games and either eeking out a win or losing in embarrassing fashion is going to change that.

Pickett was very accurate at Pitt, especially under Whipple. I remember his first game with Whipple in 2019 against Jabroni U he hit his first 12 or so in row. Plus he could run as witnessed by the fake slide, lol.

I see flashes of the accuracy with Veilleux, but still too many WTF passes to the wrong color jersey. And as others have mentioned similar to Slovis he's reluctant to take off and run (although not as bad as Slovis was, especially after the UT game).

Maybe similar to Pickett he can click with a new OC and the light bulb will go off for him. We can only hope.

I don't get this sentiment at this time. I still feel like we've seen relatively little of him; and what we have seen has been more good than bad. The first series he was in vs. Syracuse was probably the worst he's looked, but he was still 3/5 on the day when it is all said and done. Every other time he has got in a game he has done well.

He may very well suck as much as the other two, but the other 2 have sucked enough that I think Yarnell deserves a look as the starter for a game before writing him off as being as bad or worse than the other 2. It's already a bad season, it's not like him starting the last two games and either eeking out a win or losing in embarrassing fashion is going to change that.
I’d be perfectly glad if they play him over CV.
The coaches know the fans would like this.
So they will make sure they don’t do it.

Reactions: NKSplitter
He is now past the point where would have to worry about burning a RS. He gets it now regardless. Shouldn't we throw him out there to see if he has anything. Is he that much worse than CV and Yarnell?
But who do we put in at QB when HE throws a pick? You’re running out of QBs on the roster to critique them for not playing.

No idea if Diffenbach will be a player, but if you watched him in the Spring game it was clear he was at a minimum a project.

Reactions: gary2
He enjoys sliding before 1st down markers to avoid getting hit, that's for sure.
Everyone watching that play, including the announcers, as well as the players and coaches, thought he had the first down. Do you actually think that he slid, knowing he was going to be short of the first down?

Everyone watching that play, including the announcers, as well as the players and coaches, thought he had the first down. Do you actually think that he slid, knowing he was going to be short of the first down?

I dont know what he thought but it was one of the most boneheaded plays in Pitt history. There was nobody near him. Keep running toward the sidelines and go out of bounds if you are that afraid of contact. He slid far too early. I give him no pass on that. Its 100% on him not having field awareness

Maybe our scout team offense is better than our regular O.

The tragic thing about this season is that the guy that started as our QB in the opener is now our back-up TE and from what I've seen so far this year, he's at best only the 3rd best QB among ACC TE's.

But who do we put in at QB when HE throws a pick? You’re running out of QBs on the roster to critique them for not playing.

No idea if Diffenbach will be a player, but if you watched him in the Spring game it was clear he was at a minimum a project.
He was a late recruiting reach.

Video looks like Drake Maye.

In the spring he looked horrible

I dont know what he thought but it was one of the most boneheaded plays in Pitt history. There was nobody near him. Keep running toward the sidelines and go out of bounds if you are that afraid of contact. He slid far too early. I give him no pass on that. Its 100% on him not having field awareness
You don’t know what he thought, but your original post said that you did. Which is it? And the issue was not field awareness, it was situational awareness. Wake was out of timeouts, so he could run out of bounds without being concerned with stoping the clock.

The coaches have and he's number 4.
The coaches also said that this is the deepest and talented the QB room as ever been under the narduzzi era..

The coaches said alot of things about Jurk and CV so what they say, doesnt exactly mean a whole hell of a lot to me right about now.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
You don’t know what he thought, but your original post said that you did. Which is it? And the issue was not field awareness, it was situational awareness. Wake was out of timeouts, so he could run out of bounds without being concerned with stoping the clock.

I would say it was more field awareness. Even if Wake had 2 timeouts left, the game was still over if he kept running to pick it up an get out of bounds. I doubt CV was thinking they had all 3 TOs left. He either didnt know the rule or thought he was past the marker.

It will never happen as long as doofus and the other doofus are still coaching, but it should. Yarnell has made it into enough games to show he sucks at least as much as the other two.

If you have a guy worth allowing to wear a uniform you should be willing to put him in, if everyone else has been tried already and proven to suck with no hope of improvement. Which has been exactly what has happened here.
Yarnell s passes were much more accurate then the other 2, he needs more game time experience

Reactions: BreakingPitt
The coaches also said that this is the deepest and talented the QB room as ever been under the narduzzi era..

The coaches said alot of things about Jurk and CV so what they say, doesnt exactly mean a whole hell of a lot to me right about now.
Coaches watched the QB room on the practice field - against this pathetic defense (by Pitt’s standards).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT