ADVERTISEMENT

Is women's volleyball now a revenue sport at Pitt?

OH Pete

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
Got to thinking about this last night. I realize that tickets are cheap and volleyball doesn't directly generate TV revenue. But still, the Fieldhouse is sold out and a couple of games per year are at The Pete. I'm sure there is tournament money too. And I can't imagine that the program costs are that high. Travel is probably the biggest expense and then maybe room and board. (don't try to tell me that tuition cost a lot, it doesn't - the variable cost per scholarship is likely less than a couple grand)

So, my question is this: Does Pitt women's volleyball at least pay for itself? Does it make a small profit?

I don't want to turn this into a thread of people crapping on Olympic sports or trying to infer than I think volleyball pays all the athletic department's bills or any other crazy crap. I'm just curious to see if people think that it is at least paying for itself.

I've always thought that marketed properly that another sport or two could get close to paying for themselves. Maybe baseball? They play a top notch schedule for the most part. The weather is a problem though. Maybe soccer?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.