ADVERTISEMENT

Ishmael Leggett

Does not shoot for a great percentage, as many turnovers as assists.

We should do better?

So you think he is good enough?

Is he a point, combo or a two?

He shoots it well enough? He handles it well enough?

He does shoot foul shots and rebound quite well.
I watched exactly 0 Rhode Island games.
What about you?

16.5 pts
6 rebs
2.5 assts

Why are you so against it based on stats?
I don't know.. I watched some video, he looks pretty athletic. He is going to score on the break and at the hoop, but shoots under .400.and just .333 from three. The assist versus turnovers is troubling if he is a point.

He might be the experienced insurance we need and hope our young points are ready to play.

I don't know.. I watched some video, he looks pretty athletic. He is going to score on the break and at the hoop, but shoots under .400.and just .333 from three. The assist versus turnovers is troubling if he is a point.
He could be a replacement for Nike.

Does not shoot for a great percentage, as many turnovers as assists.

We should do better?

He played on a beyond terrible team with zero talent and still had an ORTG offensive power rating of 106 for the season with a usage rate over 25. To put this into better perspective, 3 players on Rhode Island had an ORTG offensive power rating over 100, 2 were in the 90s, and the rest were 80s or worse. To understand this more easily, he was playing on a team with a bunch of Nate Santos and Will Jeffress type players on offense, players that cant shoot or score at this level at all at this point in their careers.

This is similar to a player named Mike Cook who came over here from ECU when ECU was beyond terrible as a team. Cook had to carry that team at ECU because he didn't have any talent to work with. He got plugged into the point guard position at times and his efficiency numbers were average at best with major turnover problems. When he was moved off the ball at Pitt, his usage rate came down with Levance Fields and other talented players around him, and his ORTG offensive power rating and efficiency metrics went much higher and he was really effective. And we won a ton of games with Cook.

Here's the quick skinny. He is a 3 level scorer. You are getting points with dribble penetration, midrange, and from 3 point shooting, he made just under 50 three balls last year. He made 147 free throws last year which puts him as one of the best players in the country at getting to the free throw line. He makes free throws at 85%, which tells me he has shooting skill but needs far better talent to help him. And that is one of if not the main reason he left Rhode Island, he had no talent to work with.

His efficiency numbers should at least hold 105 at Pitt, with a chance to go quite higher with much better players to work with. I like the rebound numbers. The only number I dont know how much will improve is the 3 point shot, but he is checking a lot of boxes in other areas and is a 3 level scorer that is coveted.

With 2 years left to play, this is a take.

Last edited:
He played on a beyond terrible team with zero talent and still had an ORTG offensive power rating of 106 for the season with a usage rate over 25. To put this into better perspective, 3 players on Rhode Island had an ORTG offensive power rating over 100, 2 were in the 90s, and the rest were 80s or worse. To understand this more easily, he was playing on a team with a bunch of Nate Santos and Will Jeffress type players on offense, players that cant shoot or score at this level at all at this point in their careers.

This is similar to a player named Mike Cook who came over here from ECU when ECU was beyond terrible as a team. Cook had to carry that team at ECU because he didn't have any talent to work with. He got plugged into the point guard position at times and his efficiency numbers were average at best with major turnover problems. When he was moved off the ball at Pitt, his usage rate came down with Levance Fields and other talented players around him, and his ORTG offensive power rating and efficiency metrics went much higher and he was really effective. And we won a ton of games with Cook.

Here's the quick skinny. He is a 3 level scorer. You are getting points with dribble penetration, midrange, and from 3 point shooting, he made just under 50 three balls last year. He made 147 free throws last year which puts him as one of the best players in the country at getting to the free throw line. He makes free throws at 85%, which tells me he has shooting skill but needs far better talent to help him. And that is one of if not the main reason he left Rhode Island, he had no talent to work with.

His efficiency numbers should at least hold 105 at Pitt, with a chance to go quite higher with much better players to work with. I like the rebound numbers. The only number I dont know how much will improve is the 3 point shot, but he is checking a lot of boxes in other areas and is a 3 level scorer that is coveted.

With 2 years left to play, this is a take.
Thank You. I had considered this possibility.

Could he and Myles Stute be a package?

Thank You. I had considered this possibility.

Could he and Myles Stute be a package?

I don't know anything regarding Myles Stute and if he has any connection to him at all.

I do know Leggett is connected with Will Jeffress, because the 2 of them played on Team Durant in AAU together. This also happens to be the same team Judah Mintz played on. And its the same team Brandin Cummings and Royce Parham play on.

We are involved with Team Durant players every year. So this should help us to some extent. Leggett is a DC kid. He was a 1st team all WCAC selection, arguably the toughest high school basketball league in the country. WCAC players on high level high school teams play defense. Generally speaking, they also have a toughness to them when they play.

I don't know anything regarding Myles Stute and if he has any connection to him at all.

I do know Leggett is connected with Will Jeffress, because the 2 of them played on Team Durant in AAU together. This also happens to be the same team Judah Mintz played on. And its the same team Brandin Cummings and Royce Parham play on.

We are involved with Team Durant players every year. So this should help us to some extent. Leggett is a DC kid. He was a 1st team all WCAC selection, arguably the toughest high school basketball league in the country. WCAC players on high level high school teams play defense. Generally speaking, they also have a toughness to them when they play.
Stute played in WCAC

Stute's 3 point shooting could balance these two out

I think the value is having him around for potentially two years. You saw the development of Burton under this staff.

Between Leggett and Damian Dunn the staff seems to be targeting a three level scoring CG with two years to play.

I get it, the three point shooting isn't elite, but you have Hinson at the four and we will see who they target at the one and three positions.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
51599137-8598-428d-b0ae-846e24ef5d0d_text.gif

I don't see much athleticism/explosiveness in his highlight reel. Only 6'2" and not great from deep. Not sold on this one.

He goes to the rack with authority and decisively. Also has a mid range jumper including fade away. Those are important. And the one factor none of us know is his (or any kids) personality. I think based off of last years success the staff will continue to pursue kids who fit the culture they are trying to establish here.

Reactions: Elsalvador
He is not being recruited to be the point, with this IMO they are looking for a "Burton" type to be one of their prime offensive options. To me he appears to be their back up option to Girard who was clearly their first option for that role.

Don't think he will be as good as Burton was this year (which was REALLY good), he is not as long, but like Burton he has an in between game, can shoot the three a little and convert going to the basket.

IMO, due to their not really looking at PGs in the portal they are going to roll with Dior and Lowe as his primary backup. I mean, Dior is Dior and sat a year ... Gotta give him the ball.

They clearly have a plan to reset the roster. They had what might have been the best three point shooting team in Pitt history last year. Going to be hard to replicate that, so the Austin pickup helps in that he can take and hit some open threes, but he should provide better defense, rebounding and scoring near the basket than Elliott at the three spot.

Leggett would be a proven vet guard to add to Dior and the freshman. Still think they will try to add another Elliott type shooter at guard and possibly a lower level PG to add depth and help to mentor Dior and Lowe.

Reactions: Drew1208 and gary2
He is not being recruited to be the point, with this IMO they are looking for a "Burton" type to be one of their prime offensive options. To me he appears to be their back up option to Girard who was clearly their first option for that role.

Don't think he will be as good as Burton was this year (which was REALLY good), he is not as long, but like Burton he has an in between game, can shoot the three a little and convert going to the basket.

IMO, due to their not really looking at PGs in the portal they are going to roll with Dior and Lowe as his primary backup. I mean, Dior is Dior and sat a year ... Gotta give him the ball.

They clearly have a plan to reset the roster. They had what might have been the best three point shooting team in Pitt history last year. Going to be hard to replicate that, so the Austin pickup helps in that he can take and hit some open threes, but he should provide better defense, rebounding and scoring near the basket than Elliott at the three spot.

Leggett would be a proven vet guard to add to Dior and the freshman. Still think they will try to add another Elliott type shooter at guard and possibly a lower level PG to add depth and help to mentor Dior and Lowe.
Outside of Girard these guys are noticeably better on defense than what we had. We definitely need a more rounded team

Outside of Girard these guys are noticeably better on defense than what we had. We definitely need a more rounded team
Defense and athleticism. Depth can not be underrated either. Pitt would have made even more threes last year if they weren’t so gassed at the end of the year. They should have a solid 10-11 man rotation this year. One of the best ways to prevent a scoring drought is to have multilevel scores. Not everyone can make threes, but you don’t want to be one dimensional.

Hinson hit nearly 100 3’s. JDG had a good rate on low volume. Austin can match Nike/Nelly 3 numbers. If they were to somehow land Girard (low likelihood right now), they would come close to matching last years numbers.

Last edited:
I don't see much athleticism/explosiveness in his highlight reel. Only 6'2" and not great from deep. Not sold on this one.

I am hoping his three point % will increase to his freshman year numbers if he is taking less shots/better shots. I find it unlikely he's just becoming a worse shooter and more likely he was relied on to use too much volume, doing bail out shots and the like. We'll see.

Reactions: Protes
I am hoping his three point % will increase to his freshman year numbers if he is taking less shots/better shots. I find it unlikely he's just becoming a worse shooter and more likely he was relied on to use too much volume, doing bail out shots and the like. We'll see.
Yep, hopefully my assessment is off base and just trust that the staff knows what they're getting!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT