ADVERTISEMENT

Jaland Lowe and Cam Corhen and why Im pumped up for next year

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
At the end of this post you can see the game highlights of Pitt vs Florida State this year and Lowe landing blow after blow to Florida State and Corhen landing blow after blow to Pitt. Lowe finished this game with 17 points and 10 assists while Corhen added 25 points and 8 rebounds against our frontcourt. You can see multiple low post moves by Corhen in 1 on 1 situations against our frontcourt. You can also see the versatility of Corhen, how he is guarding Lowe, Leggett, Carrington, as well as other players in this game and how he was used more as a swiss army knife type player this full season as opposed to Fede who camped out 5 feet and in to the basket all game long only playing and guarding 1 position, center. This is what I have been saying in regard to Corhen guarding a lot of different players which is why his defensive rebounding numbers are so low and why they can be a lot better. He spent quite a bit of time on the perimeter guarding better offensive players.

But the bigger more hidden takeaways from these 2 players and why Im really excited about this year and why I think these 2 players are going to be our top 2 scorers this year and form a dynamite combination.

Jaland Lowe started the last 17 games for Pitt at point guard. He was arguably Pitt's best player in the ACC Tournament. And here were Lowe's stats the last 17 games of the season

13.1 points per game
4.1 assist per game
3.7 rebounds per game
1.6 turnovers per game
41% FG percentage
41% 3 point shooting

Those numbers are excellent across the board and they are from a freshmen that had an injury early on in the season. The last time Pitt had a guard anywhere close to 15 / 5 /5 with those shooting percentages was Carl Krauser. Before someone chime's in, Bub Carrington was no where close to a 40% + 3 point shooter this year.

Now on to Corhen. This guy is versatile, on offense and on defense. He is no way, shape, or form locked into our center position all year long. He can absolutely play some 4 here just like he did at Florida State. We are talking about a guy that not only has inside post moves, but has been shooting midrange jumpers just under 50% the last 2 seasons combined and he makes a lot of them.

But here is perhaps the biggest thing with Corhen. Ive read about 4 or 5 preseason previews on Pitt and the ACC so far. A few of them mentioned Lowe's injuries early in the season holding his numbers back and why Lowe did not start early on in the season. A total of zero previews mentioned Corhen's injury this year. Corhen broke his toe in the UNLV game early in the non conference schedule in the 4th game of the season. He barely played the following 2 games which dragged his numbers down significantly as he tried to play injured coming off the bench. Then he missed 5 games in a row because of the injury. Then he came back injured and played a backup role off the bench. Then he healed or somewhat healed later on in the season and started playing starter minutes again. This guy was not healthy all season long. And of every player in the entire ACC that is returning next year, Cam Corhen has the 3rd highest offensive efficiency in the entire league of everyone coming back from ACC Conference play. You can see that in the link below, Hunter Cattoor graduated.

I think a healthy Corhen is going to be an absolute load this year in the block and I think we can do a lot with him, especially when it comes to switching off defensively which is something Papa Kante is also very good with. And with Corhen playing with far better guard talent next year at Pitt setting him up to score, I think his stats are going to go up considerably. Corhen averaged 12 points per game in the games that he started. A healthy Corhen, with better talent playing with him, with more playing time as he should be playing close to or over 30 minutes per game, should equal quite a bit more production. I was excited the day we got this guy. Im even more excited now and I think he is being heavily slept on this preseason. And I think Im one of the few people that even know he was injured this year because nobody else seems to be mentioning it anywhere.

Now with a stud point guard, a 3 level scorer in Leggett, a potential 3 level scorer with Delalic, a 40% 3 point shooter in Guillermo or Zach Austin who was highly efficient on offense, and one of the most efficient players in all of college basketball as the potential center, its easy or should be easy to see why our offense next year has a very real chance of being absolutely lethal and one of the best in the entire country.

Last edited:
At the end of this post you can see the game highlights of Pitt vs Florida State this year and Lowe landing blow after blow to Florida State and Corhen landing blow after blow to Pitt. Lowe finished this game with 17 points and 10 assists while Corhen added 25 points and 8 rebounds against our frontcourt. You can see multiple low post moves by Corhen in 1 on 1 situations against our frontcourt. You can also see the versatility of Corhen, how he is guarding Lowe, Leggett, Carrington, as well as other players in this game and how he was used more as a swiss army knife type player this full season as opposed to Fede who camped out 5 feet and in to the basket all game long only playing and guarding 1 position, center. This is what I have been saying in regard to Corhen guarding a lot of different players which is why his defensive rebounding numbers are so low and why they can be a lot better. He spent quite a bit of time on the perimeter guarding better offensive players.

But the bigger more hidden takeaways from these 2 players and why Im really excited about this year and why I think these 2 players are going to be our top 2 scorers this year and form a dynamite combination.

Jaland Lowe started the last 17 games for Pitt at point guard. He was arguably Pitt's best player in the ACC Tournament. And here were Lowe's stats the last 17 games of the season

13.1 points per game
4.1 assist per game
3.7 rebounds per game
1.6 turnovers per game
41% FG percentage
41% 3 point shooting

Those numbers are excellent across the board and they are from a freshmen that had an injury early on in the season. The last time Pitt had a guard anywhere close to 15 / 5 /5 with those shooting percentages was Carl Krauser. Before someone chime's in, Bub Carrington was no where close to a 40% + 3 point shooter this year.

Now on to Corhen. This guy is versatile, on offense and on defense. He is no way, shape, or form locked into our center position all year long. He can absolutely play some 4 here just like he did at Florida State. We are talking about a guy that not only has inside post moves, but has been shooting midrange jumpers just under 50% the last 2 seasons combined and he makes a lot of them.

But here is perhaps the biggest thing with Corhen. Ive read about 4 or 5 preseason previews on Pitt and the ACC so far. A few of them mentioned Lowe's injuries early in the season holding his numbers back and why Lowe did not start early on in the season. A total of zero previews mentioned Corhen's injury this year. Corhen broke his toe in the UNLV game early in the non conference schedule in the 4th game of the season. He barely played the following 2 games which dragged his numbers down significantly as he tried to play injured coming off the bench. Then he missed 5 games in a row because of the injury. Then he came back injured and played a backup role off the bench. Then he healed or somewhat healed later on in the season and started playing starter minutes again. This guy was not healthy all season long. And of every player in the entire ACC that is returning next year, Cam Corhen has the 3rd highest offensive efficiency in the entire league of everyone coming back from ACC Conference play. You can see that in the link below, Hunter Cattoor graduated.

I think a healthy Corhen is going to be an absolute load this year in the block and I think we can do a lot with him, especially when it comes to switching off defensively which is something Papa Kante is also very good with. And with Corhen playing with far better guard talent next year at Pitt setting him up to score, I think his stats are going to go up considerably. Corhen averaged 12 points per game in the games that he started. A healthy Corhen, with better talent playing with him, with more playing time as he should be playing close to or over 30 minutes per game, should equal quite a bit more production. I was excited the day we got this guy. Im even more excited now and I think he is being heavily slept on this preseason. And I think Im one of the few people that even know he was injured this year because nobody else seems to be mentioning it anywhere.

Now with a stud point guard, a 3 level scorer in Leggett, a potential 3 level scorer with Delalic, a 40% 3 point shooter in Guillermo or Zach Austin who was highly efficient on offense, and one of the most efficient players in all of college basketball as the potential center, its easy or should be easy to see why our offense next year has a very real chance of being absolutely lethal and one of the best in the entire country.

I appreciate your time and positivity but do keep in mind that Fede’s offensive rating last year was a robust 114.6 according to Torvik which should say “a little something” about these ratings.

Cam looked like an ACC player against us but against most other ACC teams, he looked often like … well … Fede.

I don’t have high expectations for Cam. We just need consistency with being an offensive threat, something we did not get at all from Fede. And he’ll need to rebound better than he has for the better part of his first two years.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I appreciate your time and positivity but do keep in mind that Fede’s offensive rating last year was a robust 114.6 according to Torvik which should say “a little something” about these ratings.

Cam looked like an ACC player against us but against most other ACC teams, he looked often like … well … Fede.

I don’t have high expectations for Cam. We just need consistency with being an offensive threat, something we did not get at all from Fede. And he’ll need to rebound better than he has for the better part of his first two years.
3 points

1) Offensive efficiency goes hand in hand with usage rates. The higher the usage rate of the player, the far more difficult it is to maintain an Elite level of high end efficiency. Having a lower usage rate limits turnovers because the ball is not dominant in that players hands. Fede's usage rate was near rock bottom in the ACC the last 2 years. The usage rate makes a huge difference in maintaining high level efficiency.

2) Corhen was 19 years old this past season. Fede was 23. 19 year old big men are not close to having their talent maxed out like a 23 year old.

3) These are some of the best games Corhen had this season

14 points, 9 rebounds, 7-10 shooting against Duke

18 points, 10 rebounds, 7-17 shooting against Florida

16 points, 3 rebounds, 7-7 shooting against Miami

25 points, 8 rebounds, 8-12 shooting against Pitt

Lastly, Cam Corhen scored a minimum of 10+ points against 11 different ACC teams this year. Fede did not score over 10+ points against any ACC team this year. And Corhen had an injury where he missed 5 total games which also cut into his playing time substantially. Fede did not.

I don't always agree with Vader and find his pre season projections to be somewhat
overly optimisic. With that said, he clearly has insights due to a lot of research, and I
assume seeing first hand, off season competition and tournaments on what our recruits
are doing prior to coming to Pitt. He called it right last pre season with both Lowe and
Carrington, which I and others on here thought was maybe over the top.

As for Corhen, Vader's info on his injury last season is important. Also his
take on Corhen playing other positions, not just the 5 is important in that Capel has
other options at the 5 and can utilize him at the 4 where I gotta believe he'd be a
nightmare to guard. This is especially true if Delacic is as good as we're hoping,
plus the talent and depth we have out front.

I ALWAYS on here, take a "wait and see" attitude with pre season hype and projections,
however I'll break from my usual and go with what I'm hearing about Corhen.

I don't always agree with Vader and find his pre season projections to be somewhat
overly optimisic. With that said, he clearly has insights due to a lot of research, and I
assume seeing first hand, off season competition and tournaments on what our recruits
are doing prior to coming to Pitt. He called it right last pre season with both Lowe and

take on Corhen playing other positions, not just the 5 is important in that Capel has
other options at the 5 and can utilize him at the 4 where I gotta believe he'd be a
nightmare to guard. This is especially true if Delacic is as good as we're hoping,

I ALWAYS on here, take a "wait and see" attitude with pre season hype and projections,

I posted this before and Ill post it again.

Corhen averaged 9.8 points per game in ACC Conference play this year.

You can see that in the link below from Florida State's website. And he averaged 9.8 points per game in ACC Conference play only playing 20.8 minutes per game. His FG% against ACC teams was 67%.

What is killing his season total stats, are all the games he played low minutes WITH an injury. These are games like Colorado where he played 9 minutes or Georgia where he played 10 minutes.

What's important is, we know this guy can give us 10 points per game against an entire ACC Conference schedule at a bare minimum with high level efficiency because he already did that this very season at Florida State.

I’m very intrigued by Delalic. Can’t wait to see where he ends up with us.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m enthused by Cam. I expect numbers for us similar to what he did last year with Florida State. That alone will be an important and notable upgrade from Fede last year.

13.1 points per game
4.1 assist per game
3.7 rebounds per game
1.6 turnovers per game
41% FG percentage
41% 3 point shooting

I think you are over-blowing the impact Corhen will have with our team. He is a nice player and better than Fede, but I still don’t see him being more than a 10 and 6 guy. And it is not because he is bad or anything, but he will be the 3rd or 4th option at best on our offense.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

This is how I see it as well.

I’m very intrigued by Delalic. Can’t wait to see where he ends up with us.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m enthused by Cam. I expect numbers for us similar to what he did last year with Florida State. That alone will be an important and notable upgrade from Fede last year.

Regarding Delalic, he is the opposite of Fede. He had a high usage rate in the Euro league because he dominated in ball possession. On a 30 minute per game basis, he was averaging 2.61 turnovers per game. That's a lot. The hope here is, if we cut his usage rate way down and take the ball out of his hands more for our play makers in Lowe and Leggett, his turnovers should be cut way down with it.

My hope is, he is in that Gregg Elliot role on offense with maybe slightly higher usage. Elliot was used primarily as a spot up sniper from 3. Elliot had elite level offensive efficiency at 122 ORTG, one of the best in the ACC, but he had a usage rate of 14.9 which is very low for a starter and one of the lowest in the ACC for a starter as he had low ball possession in the offense. But we used him very well and very efficiently. Whether Delalic is our starting 3, our starting 4, or coming off the bench as a high level 6th man playing major minutes, we do not want this guy averaging anywhere near 2.6 turnovers per game as a forward at 30 minutes per game.

I posted this before and Ill post it again.

Corhen averaged 9.8 points per game in ACC Conference play this year.

You can see that in the link below from Florida State's website. And he averaged 9.8 points per game in ACC Conference play only playing 20.8 minutes per game. His FG% against ACC teams was 67%.

What is killing his season total stats, are all the games he played low minutes WITH an injury. These are games like Colorado where he played 9 minutes or Georgia where he played 10 minutes.

What's important is, we know this guy can give us 10 points per game against an entire ACC Conference schedule at a bare minimum with high level efficiency because he already did that this very season at Florida State.

As for this year, I'll g;adly take 10ppg and 67% from the floor against ACC competition.
Given what I see in our backcourt, the addition of Delacic who has REAL experience,
plus what I see as improvement at the 5..... Corhen might not even be called on to get
#'rs better than what he had last year. That doesn't mean that he can't, it's just that
he's one of several players who should be able to produce. I expect to see him be a
major addition to what we already have.

Last edited:
As for this year, I'll g;adly take 10ppg and 67% from the floor against ACC competition.
Given what I see in our backcourt, the addition of Delacic who has REAL experience,
plus what I see as improvement at the 5..... Corhen might not even be called on to get
#'rs better than what he had last year. That doesn't mean that he can't, it's just that
he's one of several players who should be able to produce. I expect to see him be a
major addition to what we already have.

I feel VERY confident in our offense next year along with Corhens ability on offense. But I have a lot more wait and see with our team defense and rebounding which is going to determine how good we really are.

Where I agree with DT and others is in regards to Corhen's rebounding as either it needs significant improvement on the defensive end or is a wait and see.

Trying to guess how well Corhen will rebound guarding ONLY 4's and 5's next year is really only a guess. This guy can rebound on the offensive end, the advanced stats support it. But because he was pulled away from the basket all season long trying to guard guards, wings, forwards, and all kinds of different players, we really dont know how good this guy can be with defensive rebounding. You know as well I do that we need to be much better on our defensive rebounding at the forward and center positions to really move the needle.

Ok, I just looked at his last seasons stats. As you know his one scoring outburst of
25 pts. was against Pitt. The rest of his games shows he can get those 10ppg against
ACC teams. Looking at his rpg of 3.9, it's obviously a concern. No doubt in my mind Capel
and our coaches will be focusing on his rebounding. Given that we're solid out front,
have what appears to be a solid 3 in Delacic, there's no reason IMO to have him
anywhere but at the 4 and 5. That alone should get that 3.9 rpg improved. We have
enough scoring options that he doesn't have to be the "GO TO" guy offensively. I'd
like to see 10 or so ppg plus maybe 8rpg. THAT would be a great addition to what
we already have.

3 points

1) Offensive efficiency goes hand in hand with usage rates. The higher the usage rate of the player, the far more difficult it is to maintain an Elite level of high end efficiency. Having a lower usage rate limits turnovers because the ball is not dominant in that players hands. Fede's usage rate was near rock bottom in the ACC the last 2 years. The usage rate makes a huge difference in maintaining high level efficiency.

2) Corhen was 19 years old this past season. Fede was 23. 19 year old big men are not close to having their talent maxed out like a 23 year old.

3) These are some of the best games Corhen had this season

14 points, 9 rebounds, 7-10 shooting against Duke

18 points, 10 rebounds, 7-17 shooting against Florida

16 points, 3 rebounds, 7-7 shooting against Miami

25 points, 8 rebounds, 8-12 shooting against Pitt

Lastly, Cam Corhen scored a minimum of 10+ points against 11 different ACC teams this year. Fede did not score over 10+ points against any ACC team this year. And Corhen had an injury where he missed 5 total games which also cut into his playing time substantially. Fede did not.
Fede's offensive rating speaks to the saying about lies, damn lies and statistics. Fede was simply not a plus player. Throughout the year, most of the fan base was wondering what the heck happened to him versus 22/23. How many times was he fed the ball near the hoop only to blow an easy basket?

If Corhen isn't a considerable upgrade over Fede, it will be very disappointing. One of the reasons I am optimistic about our team this coming year is because I believe we finally have someone to man the 5 and give us solid production there. We simply haven't had that at any point in JC's tenure.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Regarding Delalic, he is the opposite of Fede. He had a high usage rate in the Euro league because he dominated in ball possession. On a 30 minute per game basis, he was averaging 2.61 turnovers per game. That's a lot. The hope here is, if we cut his usage rate way down and take the ball out of his hands more for our play makers in Lowe and Leggett, his turnovers should be cut way down with it.

My hope is, he is in that Gregg Elliot role on offense with maybe slightly higher usage. Elliot was used primarily as a spot up sniper from 3. Elliot had elite level offensive efficiency at 122 ORTG, one of the best in the ACC, but he had a usage rate of 14.9 which is very low for a starter and one of the lowest in the ACC for a starter as he had low ball possession in the offense. But we used him very well and very efficiently. Whether Delalic is our starting 3, our starting 4, or coming off the bench as a high level 6th man playing major minutes, we do not want this guy averaging anywhere near 2.6 turnovers per game as a forward at 30 minutes per game.
Have heard plenty about Delalic’s shooting, but how’s his defense?

13.1 points per game
4.1 assist per game
3.7 rebounds per game
1.6 turnovers per game
41% FG percentage
41% 3 point shooting

"Now on to Corhen. This guy is versatile, on offense and on defense. He is no way, shape, or form locked into our center position all year long. He can absolutely play some 4 here just like he did at Florida State. We are talking about a guy that not only has inside post moves, but has been shooting midrange jumpers just under 50% the last 2 seasons combined and he makes a lot of them. "

I have no doubt he is capable of playing some 4. However, I don't see Capel using him that way very much. I see Capel (based on the past two seasons) committed to having as many 3-ball shooters on the floor together at one time as possible. That would mean having 4 of the 5 good 3-ballers not just 3 of the 5 almost always. Just an opinion, however, and it does depend on what Delalic shows and how soon Cummings is ready for substantial minutes/game.

The high % 3-ball shooting group:

Lowe (41% after fully healthy and starting),
Leggett (34%)
Delalic (40.5%)
G D-G (40.5%)
Cummings (% TBD)
AND Possibly
Dunn --if he returns to what he shot at Temple (~ 35%)
J D-G -- if fully healthy might be capable of matching GD-G's %

Have heard plenty about Delalic’s shooting, but how’s his defense?

There's no way that I can answer that question fairly. And Im still not sure or ready to predict how good he is going to be right away. As Ive said, he will surely make an impact, but I do not know how much. His offensive stats (besides turnovers) and rebounding stats are indeed promising. He was providing 1.3 steals per game on a 30 minute per game basis, which is decent.

What I can tell you is, is that he played on the same team in Europe as Jerrod West, who Pitt recruited, ended up at Louisville, and who started for Louisville. And West was a pretty decent college defender in the ACC and in college. If you look at the box scores in the Euro games, his team was routinely allowing the opponent to shoot over 50% per game which is not good. I dont know enough about the Euro leagues to tell you just how good they are and how strong the talent is, but there is surely talent in these leagues. And his team defense may not mean much in regards to how good he is on defense. But there should be caution in regards to his defensive capability until we actually see him play some games.

I think cam is an upgrade solely due to his build and strength .
But like you - it’s likely incremental .

Fede's offensive rating speaks to the saying about lies, damn lies and statistics. Fede was simply not a plus player. Throughout the year, most of the fan base was wondering what the heck happened to him versus 22/23. How many times was he fed the ball near the hoop only to blow an easy basket?

If Corhen isn't a considerable upgrade over Fede, it will be very disappointing. One of the reasons I am optimistic about our team this coming year is because I believe we finally have someone to man the 5 and give us solid production there. We simply haven't had that at any point in JC's tenure.
Fede was and is a pick and roll guy who could make dunks without being contested .
It would have been nice if he’d have improved his defensive footwork - but offensively - it was always going to be uncontested dunks and put backs
It was his defense which regressed .

"Now on to Corhen. This guy is versatile, on offense and on defense. He is no way, shape, or form locked into our center position all year long. He can absolutely play some 4 here just like he did at Florida State. We are talking about a guy that not only has inside post moves, but has been shooting midrange jumpers just under 50% the last 2 seasons combined and he makes a lot of them. "

I have no doubt he is capable of playing some 4. However, I don't see Capel using him that way very much. I see Capel (based on the past two seasons) committed to having as many 3-ball shooters on the floor together at one time as possible. That would mean having 4 of the 5 good 3-ballers not just 3 of the 5 almost always. Just an opinion, however, and it does depend on what Delalic shows and how soon Cummings is ready for substantial minutes/game.

Leggett (34%)
Delalic (40.5%)
G D-G (40.5%)
Cummings (% TBD)
AND Possibly

I watched this interview last night on Damian Dunn interviewed by Pitt media which apparently took place a month ago. Its pretty interesting listening to his thoughts on what he expects to bring to the team. And its not because that he pumped Cummings to be a future super star in this interview, its that, he has quite a humble approach to his own role this year and what he is bringing to the team this year. He already knows he isnt going to be a primary scorer and he basically admitted it. And that's a good thing, because if he plays high level defense and goes back to spot up 3 point shooting (with some midrange sprinkled in), he can make spot up 3s at a high level but cannot make 3s off the dribble, then his efficiency will go up with it. This is a senior who has bought into the team concept and culture here, the we not me concept, and knows he doesnt have to jack up ill advised shots to help the team win. This is also credit to Capel for building this type of culture here and I think it shows maturity and quality leadership on Dunn's part.

The Corhen interview was quite a bit different. He is expecting to bring much more to the table on offense.

I had the privilege of chatting with Cam for an extended period of time before the team took off on their break & prior to the fall term getting under way.

Really nice kid (from Dallas) soft spoken, friendly very personable. He mentioned he played w/ Jayland when they were in HS. (AAU?)

He told me he loves the “Burgh” (much more than Tallahassee) and said several times how much closer this team is than FSU ever was. He added in passing the toe injury and that it did hamper him the first third of the season. He also sung Capel’s praises and then added that the player he’s been most impressed w/ …

Amsal !

He said he can flat out play! Shooting, vision, defense & yes rebounding.

Can’t wait for November!

I had the privilege of chatting with Cam for an extended period of time before the team took off on their break & prior to the fall term getting under way.

Really nice kid (from Dallas) soft spoken, friendly very personable. He mentioned he played w/ Jayland when they were in HS. (AAU?)

He told me he loves the “Burgh” (much more than Tallahassee) and said several times how much closer this team is than FSU ever was. He added in passing the toe injury and that it did hamper him the first third of the season. He also sung Capel’s praises and then added that the player he’s been most impressed w/ …

Amsal !

Can’t wait for November!
Nice…thank you.

Leggett (34%)
Delalic (40.5%)
G D-G (40.5%)
Cummings (% TBD)
AND Possibly

Dunn shot 40% on catch and shoot opportunities at Temple. We should all be comfortable that Capel will get him those type of opportunities.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Ok, I just looked at his last seasons stats. As you know his one scoring outburst of
25 pts. was against Pitt. The rest of his games shows he can get those 10ppg against
ACC teams. Looking at his rpg of 3.9, it's obviously a concern. No doubt in my mind Capel
and our coaches will be focusing on his rebounding. Given that we're solid out front,
anywhere but at the 4 and 5. That alone should get that 3.9 rpg improved. We have
enough scoring options that he doesn't have to be the "GO TO" guy offensively. I'd
like to see 10 or so ppg plus maybe 8rpg. THAT would be a great addition to what
we already have.

Dunn shot 40% on catch and shoot opportunities at Temple. We should all be comfortable that Capel will get him those type of opportunities.
Nice stat!

The 34.8 % was for all 138 3s (48/138) he took at Temple playing 32.7 min/game year before last He shot 31.7% at Houston last season playing just under 21 min/game but heaving up 209 3s (75/209). These stats suggest he took far too many 3s off the dribble at Houston.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeydavid
we already have.

This was an interview done with Chris Peak interviewing Cam Corhen 1 month ago. I think there's a few interesting takeaways here.

1) Corhen chose Pitt over Baylor, Texas, and Arizona State

2) Capel's sales pitch to him in the recruiting game was that he is going to get the ball a lot more than at Florida State and that coach told him his stats are going to go way up playing primarily in the paint as opposed to a switch 5 and switch 4. I fully believe this as Capel generally does not bullshit people when recruiting them, most players that come in here know that they are not going to be given a starting position because of a lofty recruiting ranking. You earn what you get. And Corhen said this throughout this interview and with other interviews regarding other coaches saying bs to try to get him.

3) Its interesting that Corhen indirectly ripped Leonard Hamilton for how he played him last year and how it hurt his stats (along with the injury). He basically said that constantly pulling him away from the basket was hurting his and his teams capabilities.

Take what you will from this. But I think this guy is going to solve a lot of our problems in the interior.

More Burton with a better outside shot.

I seriously hope that I eat a massive amount of crow on Dunn but I just dont see it. Although Burton really exploded and improved his 5th season in college which was far, far better than his previous 4 seasons and way better than anyone thought preseason so obviously it can happen with a 5th year senior.

Dunn is a career 31% 3 point shooter in 4 full seasons in college. That is worse than Brandin Knight.

Dunn shot the midrange game at 31% last year in the Big 12. That is not even close to Carrington or Burton for that matter in the midrange game. With all due respect to Jeff Capel who compared him to JB, he statistically is not close to JB in the midrange game.

Dunn has played 4 full seasons in college and not once did he have more assists than turnovers, and that includes on a loaded Houston team.

There is a lot of offensive promise and hype on this team upcoming this November. But this guy should still be closer to the 7th or 8th man just like he was at Houston. If he is a starter, he better be much more of a spot up shooter because he simply cant score off the dribble with any type of consistency. Unless he makes some HUGE amount of improvement this offseason, his prior stats just dont support anything at the offensive level.

Based off what our head coach has said preseason...Lowe and Leggett are the 2 most improved players which isnt a real surprise, Dunn still has a wall to climb to beat out Delalic and Austin. And I still think he is 3rd behind both of them.

Amsal !

Can’t wait for November!

If this is what Delalic can bring to the table, anywhere close to this, then Ill repeat we are massively underrated in the preseason. Turning defense into offense was a staple point for Brad Wanamaker in 2011 off of defensive rebounds and turnovers and making the opposing team pay the price for bad decisions. I know everyone is amped up over this guys shooting ability. But helping to get our transition offense going is something Hinson or Elliot never did unless they were standing there waiting for a pass to shoot a 3. This guy is pushing the transition game off of turnovers. That's a dangerous combination with Lowe and an Elite finisher in the interior in Corhen.

Reactions: NC Panther
I seriously hope that I eat a massive amount of crow on Dunn but I just dont see it. Although Burton really exploded and improved his 5th season in college which was far, far better than his previous 4 seasons and way better than anyone thought preseason so obviously it can happen with a 5th year senior.

Dunn is a career 31% 3 point shooter in 4 full seasons in college. That is worse than Brandin Knight.

Dunn shot the midrange game at 31% last year in the Big 12. That is not even close to Carrington or Burton for that matter in the midrange game. With all due respect to Jeff Capel who compared him to JB, he statistically is not close to JB in the midrange game.

Dunn has played 4 full seasons in college and not once did he have more assists than turnovers, and that includes on a loaded Houston team.

There is a lot of offensive promise and hype on this team upcoming this November. But this guy should still be closer to the 7th or 8th man just like he was at Houston. If he is a starter, he better be much more of a spot up shooter because he simply cant score off the dribble with any type of consistency. Unless he makes some HUGE amount of improvement this offseason, his prior stats just dont support anything at the offensive level.

Based off what our head coach has said preseason...Lowe and Leggett are the 2 most improved players which isnt a real surprise, Dunn still has a wall to climb to beat out Delalic and Austin. And I still think he is 3rd behind both of them.
The thing i look at with dunn is that he shot 40% on catch and shoot 3’s. If he embraces the 3 and d role, he will be great for pitt this year. He also shouldnt need to do much in terms of creating for the offense with guys like ish, amsil, lowe, and cummings being able to create

The thing i look at with dunn is that he shot 40% on catch and shoot 3’s. If he embraces the 3 and d role, he will be great for pitt this year. He also shouldnt need to do much in terms of creating for the offense with guys like ish, amsil, lowe, and cummings being able to create
He doesn’t have to be great. I look at him like I look at Zack. Both guys who could have a 15 point game or a zero point game. In the end, I’d say he averages about 8/game.

Reactions: Chescat1
2) Capel's sales pitch to him in the recruiting game was that he is going to get the ball a lot more than at Florida State and that coach told him his stats are going to go way up playing primarily in the paint as opposed to a switch 5 and switch 4. I fully believe this as Capel generally does not bullshit people when recruiting them, most players that come in here know that they are not going to be given a starting position because of a lofty recruiting ranking. You earn what you get. And Corhen said this throughout this interview and with other interviews regarding other coaches saying bs to try to get him.
Of course I have no idea what Capel's sales pitch was, but I'd be willing to bet that he was
stressing increased opportunities on the inside. He may have been moved around in
Leonard Hamilton's offense, but IMO that won't happen here unless Kante turns out
to be an all ACC Center this year. If that were to happen (doubt that it will), then I
could see a lot of minutes at the 4 for Corhen. My guess is Corhen starts inside
and stays inside unless he's on the floor at the same time with Kante. As for
Guillermo at Center, I don't see it but maybe he gets a few minutes there. We
all know our weaknesses inside last year, Corhen is here to fix that. Just my two
cents.

If this is what Delalic can bring to the table, anywhere close to this, then Ill repeat we are massively underrated in the preseason. Turning defense into offense was a staple point for Brad Wanamaker in 2011 off of defensive rebounds and turnovers and making the opposing team pay the price for bad decisions. I know everyone is amped up over this guys shooting ability. But helping to get our transition offense going is something Hinson or Elliot never did unless they were standing there waiting for a pass to shoot a 3. This guy is pushing the transition game off of turnovers. That's a dangerous combination with Lowe and an Elite finisher in the interior in Corhen.

This is an awesome highlight reel. Most of the American player highlight reels are just dunks. There’s a lot to get excited about here.

Lowe is the best player on this Pitt team. He was last year after he recovered from his injury. I can't wait to watch his again this year as he improves and develops even more excellence. How Lowe goes, so goes the Pitt basketball team.

Lowe is the best player on this Pitt team. He was last year after he recovered from his injury. I can't wait to watch his again this year as he improves and develops even more excellence. How Lowe goes, so goes the Pitt basketball team.

Agreed. Lowe is the leader, the captain, the potential future All American. He was the leader of last years team when we kicked it into an all new gear the 2nd half of the season.

But if we want to make the jump people want to make this year, lets look at 2011, the last time we won a conference championship and were feared nationally and I mean feared.

If Lowe = Gibbs or even slightly better than Gibbs who was an All American HM in 2011, and Leggett = Brown, how close can Delalic be to Wanamaker? The last one is the big one by far, as Wanamaker was the captain, the leader, the defensive anchor pushing the fast break offense, and running the offense. I see a lot of potential, offensive potential with Delalic, but we need this guy to get it done on defense and the glass and push the fast break offense. There have been many people that said he is a top 3 player on next years team or even the best player? Well, if he is the best player on next years team, better than Corhen, Leggett, and Lowe who is the pg and the captain, then this team could mirror 2011.

Im not making predictions on Delalic, All Im going to say is, I like what I see and the potential is there for good and possibly great things.

Agreed. Lowe is the leader, the captain, the potential future All American. He was the leader of last years team when we kicked it into an all new gear the 2nd half of the season.

But if we want to make the jump people want to make this year, lets look at 2011, the last time we won a conference championship and were feared nationally and I mean feared.

If Lowe = Gibbs or even slightly better than Gibbs who was an All American HM in 2011, and Leggett = Brown, how close can Delalic be to Wanamaker? The last one is the big one by far, as Wanamaker was the captain, the leader, the defensive anchor pushing the fast break offense, and running the offense. I see a lot of potential, offensive potential with Delalic, but we need this guy to get it done on defense and the glass and push the fast break offense. There have been many people that said he is a top 3 player on next years team or even the best player? Well, if he is the best player on next years team, better than Corhen, Leggett, and Lowe who is the pg and the captain, then this team could mirror 2011.

Im not making predictions on Delalic, All Im going to say is, I like what I see and the potential is there for good and possibly great things.

I agree with all of this.

Good comparisons with both Gibbs and Wannamaker. It's only film so far,
but Delalic appears to have a far better over all floor game than Gibbs.
Gibbs was a pure shooter. Delacic has the shot, is several inches taller,
and appears to be as quick, if not quicker.
As for Wannamaker, he was a leader (not right away though, took a few years).
I liked his floor game, and he could rebound, but no way did he have the shot
that Delalic is bringing here. I'm not at all worried about his D, maybe not a
strength, but the coaches will work on that in practice.

I too, like what I'm seeing (film) of him so far. There's enough scoring options
with this group that other teams won't be able to key their D on him. He very
easily could be a difference maker. We'll see soon enough.

//////////////i doubt

This was an interview done with Chris Peak interviewing Cam Corhen 1 month ago. I think there's a few interesting takeaways here.

1) Corhen chose Pitt over Baylor, Texas, and Arizona State

3) Its interesting that Corhen indirectly ripped Leonard Hamilton for how he played him last year and how it hurt his stats (along with the injury). He basically said that constantly pulling him away from the basket was hurting his and his teams capabilities.

Take what you will from this. But I think this guy is going to solve a lot of our problems in the interior.

This has been my stated position all along. He had other options and didn't leave FSU and come to Pitt to be Fede part II. NOT SAYING they are going to go old school toss it in the post all game. But, they prioritized him to add that dimension along w someone more able to convert contested badkets.

Reactions: BTisinDC
This has been my stated position all along. He had other options and didn't leave FSU and come to Pitt to be Fede part II. NOT SAYING they are going to go old school toss it in the post all game. But, they prioritized him to add that dimension along w someone more able to convert contested badkets.

I know its a typo, but badkets is a pretty good description of Fede's offensive prowess.

I found another video of Delalic in the Euro pro league and this one is pretty exciting to watch.

A lot of good stuff in here. A lot of quality passing and playmaking like Wanamaker. A lot of turning defensive turnovers into offense in the transition game and forcing turnovers. He's going to need to be careful making some of these tight passes against Elite defenders in the ACC, but he very much looks the part of a point forward type that can both shoot and make plays for others and you can see he loves getting the bigs involved in the block and I expect Corhen to be busy down there. While watching highlights videos can be dangerous to make forecasts and predications, you can tell the way he sees and reads the floor with his vision (passing) on offense and on defense (forcing turnovers) that he is much more than just a shooter coming into Pitt. We are going to be dangerous this year. Perhaps very dangerous.

Im quite intrigued and very excited to watch this guy and this team play in a real game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT