ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin, ex-Penn State doctor had strained relationship, per testimony in wrongful termination trial

I honestly don't care if this was Franklin or Duzz or anyone else. Coaches pushing for guys to get back on the field before they're cleared is the king of garbage that made me hate any trip to the trainer and risk getting held out of practice or a game. "Trainer said you were in to visit. That *body part* isn't going to keep you from missing any meetings for treatment, right?"
That type of pressure from coaches has led to some players taking prescription painkillers that led to opioid addiction. It's problematic that's for sure.

Reactions: pittdan77
I’m a little surprised at the verdict and the judgment amount, but I’m even more surprised that Penn State let this thing get to trial. They probably should have settled this years ago.
Well......maybe it was calculated, right? The settlement or award is much less than Jimmy's buyout, right? If he falls short of the playoffs this year, could be used against him to terminate.

Well......maybe it was calculated, right? The settlement or award is much less than Jimmy's buyout, right? If he falls short of the playoffs this year, could be used against him to terminate.

be careful what they wish for, is PSU like Georgia who jettisoned a successful coach who was perennially 10-2 but couldn't get over the Alabama hurdle until bringing in Smart? Or more like Nebraska who is knee deep in the coaching carousel these past 20 years thinking they could be elite again with a new coach.

I think Franklin is a good fit for them, recruits very well but not at that super elite level. Not the greatest coaching/gameday tactician. His best bet is for the stars to align and catch OSU/Michigan in a down year and catch a few lucky breaks in the playoffs.

They could roll the dice for the elite recruiter/coach and hope to get a Kirby Smart. PSU practically recruits itself, but they could also get another Bill O'brien who didn't exactly light things up on the recruiting trail in his brief tenure.

They're the State school and this is their number 1 market. They get fair and unbiased coverage here.
You're not seeing anything? That's because all this is spewing from jealous pitt fans.
You are full of crap. At PSU the values start with football wins and ends with football wins. When an institution has to put "lipstick on a pig" and hide the truth about felonies, sexual assault, and trying to play injured players, there in no "win with honor". Just win baby win with absolutely no honor or values. I'm sure happy that the PSU football program is not in charge prioritizing values for anyone but themselves.

You are full of crap. At PSU the values start with football wins and ends with football wins. When an institution has to put "lipstick on a pig" and hide the truth about felonies, sexual assault, and trying to play injured players, there in no "win with honor". Just win baby win with absolutely no honor or values. I'm sure happy that the PSU football program is not in charge prioritizing values for anyone but themselves.

see my post

There are at least two sides to every story but only one set of facts.
The jury decided that this guy was wrongfully terminated based on testimony given under oath.
If PSU wanted Franklin to testify under oath, they would have called him as a witness.
They did not.
And that is a fact.

There are at least two sides to every story but only one set of facts.
The jury decided that this guy was wrongfully terminated based on testimony given under oath.
If PSU wanted Franklin to testify under oath, they would have called him as a witness.
They did not.
And that is a fact.
I know that we’re not “supposed to” think this way, but….anytime I hear that someone did not testify on their own behalf, I immediately doubt their innocence. After all, if someone won’t - or can’t be trusted to - defend themselves, how can they expect others to do it for them?

Reactions: Saboteur II
Go back and look at Hoops Weiss’ recent track record of breaking news. I wouldn’t hold your breath that this is anything more than a blip on Franklin’s radar.

Go back and look at Hoops Weiss’ recent track record of breaking news. I wouldn’t hold your breath that this is anything more than a blip on Franklin’s radar.
You'd think the locker room gang bang might have at least moved the needle so this is just a misunderstanding and an opportunity for retraining.

There's a chance this is being used against them out on the recruiting trail. Losing recruits will put him in jeopardy faster than anything else.

I know that we’re not “supposed to” think this way, but….anytime I hear that someone did not testify on their own behalf, I immediately doubt their innocence. After all, if someone won’t - or can’t be trusted to - defend themselves, how can they expect others to do it for them?
I’ll defend your position. You are not allowed to make any presumptions of guilt if you are on a criminal jury and the defendant does not testify.
But you are certainly allowed to draw any conclusions you wish if a material witness does not appear.
In a civil case such as this, you are sure as hell allowed to infer culpability and the jury will be do instructed.
A missing witness instruction, also known as the missing-witness rule, allows a party to infer that a witness's testimony would have been unfavorable to them if they failed to call the witness. The instruction is based on the idea that an honest claimant would have produced evidence that would naturally support their cause, and that its absence suggests the evidence would have been unfavorable.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
Dottie and Sue continue to be free with no accountability. Dottie hearing slapping noises and didn't do a damn thing or maybe she is just as sick. Success with honor!!!! Unbelievable smh

Reactions: bschulter
Why the flip are you even on a Pitt board? Beat it!
Mostly for the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins conversations. Plus I root for Pitt too (believe it or not) and am interested in the discussion.

Plus, who doesn’t enjoy the daily SMF trainwreck posts? 😀😀 Those alone are worth the visit.

I am telling you this whole thing is an insurance policy for Penn State. Better to fire with cause and pay this judgement than the $50-70 million they would owe him in a buyout.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
There’s always two sides to every story, but this side doesn’t shed a very good light on the AD and head coach of
the football program at the school to the east.

This should mark the end of his coaching tenure at PSU. Additionally, this situation should prompt another investigation into Penn State's compliance with child abuse laws. Playing injured players is a clear violation, and terminating the agreement with the doctor overseeing them constitutes retaliation. As a result, players who were told they were cleared to play and now suffer from chronic injuries may pursue civil lawsuits. It is difficult to see how this doesn't become a significant issue.

Penn State Athletics and Franklin weren’t being sued. It was Penn State Health and this doctor’s former boss.
Thats because they filed it too late to add Franklin and PSU. It was a filing error on their part. It really doesn't matter because all of this is now in the open and it appears Franklin and PSU violated child abuse laws and PSU retaliated against the accuser

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT