ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie has a chance to finish above .500 in league for 1st time in 10 years

Needs to win 2 of 3 @ BYU, @ WVU, vs UCF. Incredible that its been 10 years.

Not really. That's who Jamie Dixon is as a coach.

He took over a Pitt program that went to back to back Sweet 16s and finished in the Top 10 two consecutive seasons. He did a great job sustaining that level for the next 7 or 8 years, before the huge dropoff. He's never been close to that level since

Reactions: H2P2010
I never understand the hate/shade thrown at Dixon from some of you on this board.

The guy is the greatest basketball coach in program history and most likely will be for many years to come. He took the program to heights that they have never seen before and probably won’t for a long while.

He didn’t succeed in the Big Dance the way that most of you wanted him too, but at least he was getting Pitt there consistently and usually with a very good seed.

You can also throw in the fact that he had Pitt in the Big East tournament final more than any other coach in program history and had Pitt as a nationally relevant program until the move to the ACC.

Pitt basketball’s golden era began and ended with Jaime Dixon on the bench as an assistant/ head coach. I know most of you know the program’s history before and what it has become.

It will come down to the game at WVU, as UCF is a woeful road team.

I never understand the hate/shade thrown at Dixon from some of you on this board.

The hilarious thing is there is at least one person who rips on Dixon pretty regularly who also thinks that Kevin Stallings got a raw deal here at Pitt, and that if he just would have been given more time he would have won here.

And hey, maybe that's true. Assuming by "winning here" you mean that he could have won another conference game at some point. That was probably at least theoretically possible.

The hilarious thing is there is at least one person who rips on Dixon pretty regularly who also thinks that Kevin Stallings got a raw deal here at Pitt, and that if he just would have been given more time he would have won here.

And hey, maybe that's true. Assuming by "winning here" you mean that he could have won another conference game at some point. That was probably at least theoretically possible.

Sure. Given time, Stallings would have won at a level similar to Jamie's last 5 years. That's what his 20 year long resume suggests. I never said that was an acceptable level, or enough to keep a job at Pitt. It isn't. It wasn't enough to keep a job at Vanderbilt. (and that's a place it probably should be)

I don't rip on Jamie. I actually like Jamie Dixon. I just don't think he's as good as some fans make him out to be. I wasn't in favor of getting rid of him. It was clear his run was over. Whether Pitt kept him or moved on, it was clear the program was in for a prolonged period of irrelevance. (It was actually already there)

I'm a huge Narduzzi fan. That said, I think Pitt football is also in for a prolonged period of irrelevance, regardless if they make a change or not.

Sure. Given time, Stallings would have won at a level similar to Jamie's last 5 years. That's what his 20 year long resume suggests. I never said that was an acceptable level, or enough to keep a job at Pitt. It isn't. It wasn't enough to keep a job at Vanderbilt. (and that's a place it probably should be)

I don't rip on Jamie. I actually like Jamie Dixon. I just don't think he's as good as some fans make him out to be. I wasn't in favor of getting rid of him. It was clear his run was over. Whether Pitt kept him or moved on, it was clear the program was in for a prolonged period of irrelevance. (It was actually already there)

I'm a huge Narduzzi fan. That said, I think Pitt football is also in for a prolonged period of irrelevance, regardless if they make a change or not.
But the game changed shortly after his departure. Who knows how Stallings really would have done. He is only one of two coaches to ever go winless in the ACC. Capel is the only coach in ACC history to take a winless conference program back to the tourney. BC is still waiting.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
His NCAA appearances at TCU:
2018, 2022, 2023
The previous three appearances by TCU:
1971, 1987, 1998

He's done a good job there. Obviously benefited from new facilities but still has to coach the games.

Yes he has. But their previous history means nothing. They were a mid-major who never invested in basketball.

Jamie Dixon dominated the Big East when it was the best conference in the country. Had Pitt a play from the final 4 in 2009. In 2011 the Robinson foul doesn't happen who knows how far Pitt goes. Those two fluke plays shouldn't define how good of a coach he is. What if it was Jamie Dixon two time FF coach. The guy can coach unfortunately hasn't got a break in the tourney.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Who cares, certainly not I, I’m glad he left when he did, I believe that when Pitt joined the acc dixon hated that and I also believe he gave up, recruiting was not the same

Last edited:
TCU was 8-64 in the Big 12 before Jamie Dixon. They were 18-44 in the MWC with the coach before that.

And none of that matters one bit. If Duquesne joined the ACC, hired Nate Oats, and invested a ton of money into basketball, the expectation is that they'd make the NCAA Tournament 3 or 4 times in a 5 year period. Prior history means nothing. Jamie is a good coach. TCU is in a P6 league when it wasnt forever. And they invested. He had done a good job there but he's doing exactly what I expected him to, maybe even underachieving a bit since he is still perenially on the bubble.

Dixon coached for a school who didn’t invest in basketball, while in the best league in history, and did very, very well…until he didn’t.

Now he’s at a school that does invest in basketball, while in the best league for the past few years, and hasn’t been successful.

I’m still under the belief that if he coaches long enough, he will catch lightening in a bottle, go on a post season run, and Pantherlair will explode.

Dixon coached for a school who didn’t invest in basketball, while in the best league in history, and did very, very well…until he didn’t.

Now he’s at a school that does invest in basketball, while in the best league for the past few years, and hasn’t been successful.

I’m still under the belief that if he coaches long enough, he will catch lightening in a bottle, go on a post season run, and Pantherlair will explode.
TCU thinks he has been successful, which is why he got an extension through 2028. You guys may not care about past history but their fans do, and their fans are excited they are a tournament bubble team instead of the laughing stock of the Big 12. Five of their top six ever attendance years have been under Dixon despite the smallest gym in their conference that actually shrunk slightly in renovations (admittedly they were nice renovations which I am sure helps with recruiting.)

Only a few years back, KenPom defended his use of using the previous five years achievements to influence pre-season rankings by saying "TCU was last place 5 years ago, 10 years ago, and 15 years ago, so it's fine for my model to assume they will be last for the next 5 years as well." Yet here we are.

(I was fine with him leaving for a few reasons, and I like Capel, I just think a small number of people here hold on to a weird hate for a guy who helped gave Pitt basketball its best period since World War 2.)

TCU thinks he has been successful, which is why he got an extension through 2028. You guys may not care about past history but their fans do, and their fans are excited they are a tournament bubble team instead of the laughing stock of the Big 12. Five of their top six ever attendance years have been under Dixon despite the smallest gym in their conference that actually shrunk slightly in renovations (admittedly they were nice renovations which I am sure helps with recruiting.)

Only a few years back, KenPom defended his use of using the previous five years achievements to influence pre-season rankings by saying "TCU was last place 5 years ago, 10 years ago, and 15 years ago, so it's fine for my model to assume they will be last for the next 5 years as well." Yet here we are.

(I was fine with him leaving for a few reasons, and I like Capel, I just think a small number of people here hold on to a weird hate for a guy who helped gave Pitt basketball its best period since World War 2.)

There's no weird hate for him. I like Dixon. I think it's weird that people prop him up to be some kind of elite coach when his resume clearly says he isn't.

Of course not. You're a moron.

Yet somehow 56-50 against D1 competition in the worst P5 conference is impressive to you. And so is Kevin Stallings. Not bright enough to comment on hoops.

Context. Duzz is Pitt's most successful coach since Sherrill. Stallings was Vandy's most successful coach since Roy Skinner. Dixon was Pitt's most successful coach since Carlson.

It is what it is. Nobody in their right mind would consider any of them an elite coach.

Which proves he's good enough to take them from really bad to mediocre.
I never said "elite" (I'd limit that to Self, Izzo, Few, Sampson, Pitino maybe Bennett with Shaka Smart having a chance to break in) but I think he's a top 25 or so coach, and most coaches would fail to do what he's done at TCU.

I don’t think there’s weird hate. I think that’s wrongfully reserved for Capel here. I just think what many people try to do is provide perspective when other people try to say Jamie is a top tier coach, and that gets interpreted as hate when it’s not.

What he’s proving at TCU is that’s he’s a continuation of what he became at Pitt. Call it mediocre, maybe? What he did from 2003-2009 or 2011 here is essentially a generation ago and no longer relevant. We will forever love him for it. But it skews who he really is as a coach over the past 13 years.

I do think we’d have had maybe 3-4 additional tourney appearances over the past decade if Jamie were still here. But in my opinion they’d be of the same variety of his last team here…getting in as a bubble team with no buzz or any feeling that the team would advance beyond the first weekend.

I don’t think there’s weird hate. I think that’s wrongfully reserved for Capel here. I just think what many people try to do is provide perspective when other people try to say Jamie is a top tier coach, and that gets interpreted as hate when it’s not.

What he’s proving at TCU is that’s he’s a continuation of what he became at Pitt. Call it mediocre, maybe? What he did from 2003-2009 or 2011 here is essentially a generation ago and no longer relevant. We will forever love him for it. But it skews who he really is as a coach over the past 13 years.

I do think we’d have had maybe 3-4 additional tourney appearances over the past decade if Jamie were still here. But in my opinion they’d be of the same variety of his last team here…getting in as a bubble team with no buzz or any feeling that the team would advance beyond the first weekend.
So, to recap, you discount the 2011 team which was by far his best coaching job... you think there is a weird hate for Capel for accomplishing what Dixon did the last 5-6 years 2 out of 6 tries yet you don't appreciate Dixon's bubble teams?

Fair reminder that Dixon had
1) a shitty AD
2) smaller budget
3) Pete was not upgraded as it is now, including zoo flipped
4) The obvious rebrand

Had Jamie stayed and been given Heather Lyke and all of these things... people would expect a lot more than possibly 2 last 4 in's in 6 years. We have4 spent like a top 20 program the last 6 years but has not gotten top 20 results.

So, to recap, you discount the 2011 team which was by far his best coaching job... you think there is a weird hate for Capel for accomplishing what Dixon did the last 5-6 years 2 out of 6 tries yet you don't appreciate Dixon's bubble teams?

1) a shitty AD
2) smaller budget
4) The obvious rebrand

Had Jamie stayed and been given Heather Lyke and all of these things... people would expect a lot more than possibly 2 last 4 in's in 6 years. We have4 spent like a top 20 program the last 6 years but has not gotten top 20 results.
I don’t discount 2011 at all.

Jamie did great things without the $ support of the university, in spite of being aloof as a recruiter. Now he has the full support of his university and coaches who can recruit, and well, his record at TCU is modest. It’s ok to say that times have changed and Jamie is what he is. It’s not disrespectful at all.

1) a shitty AD
2) smaller budget
4) The obvious rebrand

The 4 things you listed matter very little. And he actually really liked Steve Pederson. His recruiting fell off a cliff. He needed to reinvent himself because no one wanted to play for a "defensive coach." He was losing players to UAB, Fordham, Penn State, Akron, etc. Now, would have have made 2-3 NCAA Tournaments every 5 years had he stayed? Yes. Should we have let him walk? No. But Dixon 2/TCU is as mediocre a coach as there ever was.

Jamie did great things without the $ support of the university, in spite of being aloof as a recruiter. Now he has the full support of his university and coaches who can recruit, and well, his record at TCU is modest. It’s ok to say that times have changed and Jamie is what he is. It’s not disrespectful at all.
Has there ever been any hard evidence of him being aloof or is this a weird byproduct of the eye contact thing?

I know a few people who’ve met him. And they’re nobodies in terms of donors or with the program. Spoke glowingly of him and how engaging he was. Even remembered one buddy a year later even though their conversation was relatively brief.

The 4 things you listed matter very little. And he actually really liked Steve Pederson. His recruiting fell off a cliff. He needed to reinvent himself because no one wanted to play for a "defensive coach." He was losing players to UAB, Fordham, Penn State, Akron, etc. Now, would have have made 2-3 NCAA Tournaments every 5 years had he stayed? Yes. Should we have let him walk? No. But Dixon 2/TCU is as mediocre a coach as there ever was.
lol... you are so clueless about a sport you claim to follow religiously and know about. It's really sad to see.

Reactions: Ski11585

He is going to take TCU to the tournament for 3 straight times for the first time in their history in the toughest conference. After taking Pitt to their only 2 #1 seeds in 3 years in what was then the toughest conference. Making history twice at 2 schools that don't traditionally do well at basketball is not "mediocre". Also, you clearly haven't watched them play because they play the exact opposite ways of the boring Pitt teams he had.

lol... you are so clueless about a sport you claim to follow religiously and know about. It's really sad to see.

How many more 4 star recruits would he have gotten if they flipped the TV view and went back to royal and yellow? Come on man, that matters very very little. Locker rooms, weight rooms, etc. It all helps but very little. In those days, it was does the recruit think the coach is cool and can he get him to the NBA and that worked against him which is why losers like Mark Gottfried were eating his lunch.

He is going to take TCU to the tournament for 3 straight times for the first time in their history in the toughest conference. After taking Pitt to their only 2 #1 seeds in 3 years in what was then the toughest conference. Making history twice at 2 schools that don't traditionally do well at basketball is not "mediocre". Also, you clearly haven't watched them play because they play the exact opposite ways of the boring Pitt teams he had.
On the post game last night, one of the anchors picked them as a dark horse final four team.

Reactions: Ski11585
How many more 4 star recruits would he have gotten if they flipped the TV view and went back to royal and yellow? Come on man, that matters very very little. Locker rooms, weight rooms, etc. It all helps but very little. In those days, it was does the recruit think the coach is cool and can he get him to the NBA and that worked against him which is why losers like Mark Gottfried were eating his lunch.
You don't follow the Steelers either. Weird.

You've proven to know VERY little about this game. When CBB is being discussed, let the big boys discuss.

The current head coach came into Pitt and correctly shit on everything publicly and privately because IT ALL MATTERS but you know better than all of the coaches who do it..

You don't follow the Steelers either. Weird.

You've proven to know VERY little about this game. When CBB is being discussed, let the big boys discuss.

The current head coach came into Pitt and correctly shit on everything publicly and privately because IT ALL MATTERS but you know better than all of the coaches who do it..

You are correct. It matters. Just very little. Why did Capel want the changes? Because its not his money. And it helps. Very little so why not ask for it.

Who said anything about them playing boring? I don’t think you and I are far off here. I watch them any chance I get. I’m a fan of his. I’ve gone to Morgantown twice since he’s been at TCU specifically to see him. I just think people lose perspective sometimes. Both ways to be fair.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT