ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie Shaw on NIL, what players make, and the importance of it

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
Pretty good article here.

Biggest takeaway is the exact same thing I said many times over and over again. Players are not making anywhere close to the money people claim to be. This goes hand in hand with what Jeff Goodman said earlier this season, with his 500K social media basketball followers, in that, the very top teams in the Big East pay 2 million per season, sometimes 2.5 million max for the entire roster. Not all these fringe top 10 high school basketball players making a million plus a piece.

There was another source from ON3 that is a director of recruiting just yesterday that said a top flight PG / combo guard transfer costs between 200k-400k, which is exactly what Nijel Pack got when this whole thing started.

What do you think it will take to keep our roster? My total guesses:

Lowe: 500K
Leggett: 200K
GDG: 100K
Fede: 100K
Austin: 75K
Cummings: 50K (player of his ranking has to show it first)
Jorge: 25K

Meleek Thomas if we can get him: $1 million. Not $1.5 like BballinsiderfromPitt says. May even be as low as 600-750.

What do you think it will take to keep our roster? My total guesses:

Lowe: 500K
Leggett: 200K
GDG: 100K
Fede: 100K
Austin: 75K
Cummings: 50K (player of his ranking has to show it first)
Jorge: 25K

Meleek Thomas if we can get him: $1 million. Not $1.5 like BballinsiderfromPitt says. May even be as low as 600-750.
Yeah he’s gonna take 750 when Indiana is desperate and his favorite school. You guys are so funny

Yeah he’s gonna take 750 when Indiana is desperate and his favorite school. You guys are so funny

That's a really random favorite school. Indiana hasn't been relevant in 30 years. I dont know what he would cost. We should probably go up to $1 million. $1.5 million is probably too much to pay for a guy who is going to average 13 PPG in college but get drafted high based on NBA potential and athleticism. If I had to pick one: Lowe or Thomas, I am picking Lowe. Would like to have both but Lowe is a more valuable college basketball player next year.

That's a really random favorite school. Indiana hasn't been relevant in 30 years. I dont know what he would cost. We should probably go up to $1 million. $1.5 million is probably too much to pay for a guy who is going to average 13 PPG in college but get drafted high based on NBA potential and athleticism. If I had to pick one: Lowe or Thomas, I am picking Lowe. Would like to have both but Lowe is a more valuable college basketball player next year.
Yeah very random. They aren’t a blue blood. They don’t have an assistant coach who grew up 15 mins from where Meleek lives and is friends with all his coaches and mentors. They didn’t just have his friend from Pittsburgh go 1 and done. Extremely random!

Yeah very random. They aren’t a blue blood. They don’t have an assistant coach who grew up 15 mins from where Meleek lives and is friends with all his coaches and mentors. They didn’t just have his friend from Pittsburgh go 1 and done. Extremely random!

Indiana is a blue blood? The year is 2024, not 1986. Wow

Indiana is a blue blood? The year is 2024, not 1986. Wow
Yes of course they are. Dusty May who end up being the head coach of Louisville turned down Ohio State/Michigan because he was waiting to see what happened with Indiana. Anyone who watches college hoops knows they are, but you think the Mountain West sucks soooo

Yes of course they are. Dusty May who end up being the head coach of Louisville turned down Ohio State/Michigan because he was waiting to see what happened with Indiana. Anyone who watches college hoops knows they are, but you think the Mountain West sucks soooo

Buddy, Dusty May is an IU grad and was a student manager there. You think that has anything to do with it??? IU is far from a blue blood. If they're a blue blood than so is Wisconsin, Mich, OSU, Purdue, and Illinois. And of course the MWC sucks. Beating a non-talent UVa team doesn't mean it doesn't.

Buddy, Dusty May is an IU grad and was a student manager there. You think that has anything to do with it??? IU is far from a blue blood. If they're a blue blood than so is Wisconsin, Mich, OSU, Purdue, and Illinois. And of course the MWC sucks. Beating a non-talent UVa team doesn't mean it doesn't.
They are a blue blood. Not an argument. A statement of fact. Won’t respond again about it is so stupid.

MWC tournament 7 seed (Colorado State) had 6 Q1 wins including smoking Creighton. Ya don’t know hoops.

Thank you for informing me where Dusty May went to college. I had never asked him that when I sat in his office at FAU, took a tour of their facilities, talked to him on the phone, or the time me and a former Duke player put up a combined 78 on him and Darris Nichols in a pickup game (Duke star 66, me 12). All these years of knowing him, I had no idea.

The point of bringing that up was just like Mark Madsen with Stanford and Cal, you can't wait for that pay day forever. But dusty was still willing to wait out Indiana instead of Michigan or OSU because it's freaking Indiana.

Kinda agree with SMF on this one. Indiana was once a blue blood, but the days of coach Knight are long gone. Since 2000, Indiana is an average big ten team, and we all know that the Big Ten is at best an average P5 conference. Once you are denoted a blue blood, do you remain so when the team levels out and no longer is ranked in the top 20 every year? I don't think a blue blood would be taking Pitt cast-offs like XJ and also Newkirk I believe. It is strange that a kid so young would have Indiana as a favorite school since they were not even born yet when Indiana was dominant. (1974-1990)

Kinda agree with SMF on this one. Indiana was once a blue blood, but the days of coach Knight are long gone. Since 2000, Indiana is an average big ten team, and we all know that the Big Ten is at best an average P5 conference. Once you are denoted a blue blood, do you remain so when the team levels out and no longer is ranked in the top 20 every year? I don't think a blue blood would be taking Pitt cast-offs like XJ and also Newkirk I believe. It is strange that a kid so young would have Indiana as a favorite school since they were not even born yet when Indiana was dominant. (1974-1990)
One of his best friends just went there and was a 1 and done and everyone he knows knows their assistant from Pittsburgh.

Sure. Just like ND hasn't won a national title since 1989 and is... STILL A BLUE BLOOD

But thanks for your opinion based on an arbitrary metric!
LOL. No one is talking about national championships. I'm talking about being better than top 16 over 22 years. They dropped out of the blue blood world a decade ago, at least.

Reactions: Zepley09
ND is a national brand. Like the cowboys. No one from this new generation even knows who bob knight is or cares about Indiana unless they have a connection. With that said, going back to NIL and portal, what about Maxime raynaud? 15 and nearly 10 per game. Can hit an occasional 3 and FT improved quite a bit to about 70%. Is from France so not sure how much NiL truly plays a role with international kids. 7’1, 250.

Last edited:
Actually Kentucky is his favorite.

Indiana Basketball = Nebraska Football
They are never going to get back to where they want to be under Woodson.
UK is not offering as much money, won't be affording him the opportunity to "rock out" (not my words) like Indiana and isn't as all in on him as previously thought.

This was as of last week. Recruiting changes fast. Maybe you have talked to UK powers at be more recently than I. Looking forward to watching them practice tonight!

Last edited:
Sure. Just like ND hasn't won a national title since 1989 and is... STILL A BLUE BLOOD

But thanks for your opinion based on an arbitrary metric!

ND football is a blue blood because it has its own national TV deal and is the most popular college team in the country to root for or against. No comparison. Indiana is Syracuse. A good program but nowhere close to Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and Kansas.

UK is not offering as much money, won't be affording him the opportunity to "rock out" (not my words) like Indiana and isn't as all in on him as previously thought.

This was as of last week. Recruiting changes fast. Maybe you have talked to UK powers at be more recently than I. Looking forward to watching them practice tonight!

He isnt going to Indiana. Its a dead program. Its either Kentucky, Pitt, or $EC football school money like Auburn.

He isnt going to Indiana. Its a dead program. Its either Kentucky, Pitt, or $EC football school money like Auburn.
Lol. They've offered the most money. Assistant with personal relationships with his people. Offered him the chance to "rock out" (Guess whose words those are). Friend went there 1 and done.

They have a better chance than Pitt especially if he moves to this year as has been speculated.

I have family and friends that live in North Hills. Thomas has told his ex-teammates that Kentucky is the school he wants to play for and that Pitt still has a chance, but more of a long shot right now. That was within the last 5 days.

Going back a bit but imho we shouldnt be paying to keep both two Diaz Grahams and Fede. If they want to stay for free, fine, but I wouldn't be sad if someone transferred. We need to spend on keeping this backcourt and adding a more elite wing or big.
I don’t think Fede will be back considering how much they had to pay to keep him from SEC schools last year. He’ll be a cap casualty

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I have family and friends that live in North Hills. Thomas has told his ex-teammates that Kentucky is the school he wants to play for and that Pitt still has a chance, but more of a long shot right now. That was within the last 5 days.
Gotcha. I talk to him every once in a while, his workout guy is my buddy and he’s a very nice kid, just going off what he is telling me. Sounds like Kentucky has cooled a bit on him for whatever reason.

Actually Kentucky is his favorite.

Indiana Basketball = Nebraska Football
They are never going to get back to where they want to be under Woodson.

Kentucky's top 2 players at guard they want are Darryn Peterson who is the best guard in the country regardless of class and Darius Acuff.

They lead to get both

The hiccup in this is, Peterson has an adidas NIL contract as of the moment.

Meleek Thomas is not in their top 2 players they even want.

Kentucky's top 2 players at guard they want are Darryn Peterson who is the best guard in the country regardless of class and Darius Acuff.

They lead to get both

The hiccup in this is, Peterson has an adidas NIL contract as of the moment.

Meleek Thomas is not in their top 2 players they even want.
I’m just passing on what I heard. Good ole Mike White was their MS coach and I heard the story about Thomas leaving for an AAU tournament and not telling anyone ahead of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT