ADVERTISEMENT

Jared Wayne at TE?

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
I know, a Pitt football thread. Crazy.

Has anyone thought of the possibility of Jared Wayne transitioning to TE? He’s 6’3” but weighs 195, so he’d have to add some size to his frame.

However, given the options at TE and the WR corps having a little more depth, would it make sense to consider him at tight end? He looked solid playing between the hashes last season and has that type of height that you look for in a big play TE. I see a little bit of Aaron Matthews in his game and I think he also would’ve been better off switching to tight end.

I’ll hang up and listen.

Last edited:

Has anyone thought of the possibility of Jared Wayne transitioning to TE? He’s 6’3” but weighs 195, so he’d have to add some size to his frame.

However, given the options at TE and the WR corps having a little more depth, would it make sense to consider him at tight end? He looked solid playing between the hashes last season and has that type of height that you look for a in a big play TE. I see a little bit of Aaron Matthews in his game and I think he also would’ve been better off switching to tight end.

I’ll hang up and listen.

No way Aaron wasn't a TE either. Excellent blocker at reciever. Wayne is a true wideout who has a great future.
Agreed, I do think Wayne will make for a great player no matter where they play him. If he can take that next step, and Mack can continue to be a consistent threat, then perhaps we won’t be hamstrung by our lack of a pass-catching TE.

I appreciate the actual Pitt FB convo, so don’t take this the wrong way, but you lost me at WR depth. They might have numbers there, but don’t know about depth. Wayne was a true freshman last year and he was in the rotation. He was decent, but he wasn’t Tyler Boyd as a true freshman either. Simply put, if they had depth they wouldn’t have had to play him. Then they also lost Ffrench and Matthews on top of that. Maybe the incoming freshman change that, but until they do I think Wayne is probably needed at WR.

As far as whether he could, he’d need to add at least 50lbs of muscle and maintain his athleticism. That assumes that he can block DEs in line. I think that experiment is a luxury, and given the respective depth, I prefer the move of DEs like Mimes to TE.

It’s mind boggling that we can’t seem to land or retain a prep tight end prospect. In a time when our recruiting seems to be really clicking we keep striking out with recruits. The latest was the kid who chose Louisiana - Lafayette and didn’t have any power five offers up to this point. Don’t blame him because of geography. Maybe Chris Beatty can get a committ from the Virginia area he recruits so well.

However, given the options at TE and the WR corps having a little more depth, would it make sense to consider him at tight end? He looked solid playing between the hashes last season and has that type of height that you look for in a big play TE. I see a little bit of Aaron Matthews in his game and I think he also would’ve been better off switching to tight end.

I’ll hang up and listen.
no

No way. Pitt has Krull and that too JUCO out of Cali coming in. Just no need. Let him be the next Shanahan or better. Love him at WR.

Everybody pretends like fan bases are always arguing, “The backup QB is better.” I don’t see that much. But one thing that truly does seem to unite every fan base is wanting to turn whatever skinny WR is on the roster into a TE. That should be the meme.

Everybody pretends like fan bases are always arguing, “The backup QB is better.” I don’t see that much. But one thing that truly does seem to unite every fan base is wanting to turn whatever skinny WR is on the roster into a TE. That should be the meme.

This kid is horrible at press coverage... but what if he bulked up and moved to TE? (h/t fkthomas)

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Agreed, I do think Wayne will make for a great player no matter where they play him. If he can take that next step, and Mack can continue to be a consistent threat, then perhaps we won’t be hamstrung by our lack of a pass-catching TE.
Krull will turn out to be a good pass catching TE. His problem in the past has been his less than stellar performance at blocking.----Don't you dare move Wayne. He has a chance to be an all ACC WR for Pitt IMO.

Krull will turn out to be a good pass catching TE. His problem in the past has been his less than stellar performance at blocking.----Don't you dare move Wayne. He has a chance to be an all ACC WR for Pitt IMO.
I hope you’re right, and I’ll be rooting for Krull; he’s a Kansas City native after all. I do think that Wayne would be good no matter where he played, but perhaps it’s best that he stays at WR if he has that type of potential.

The thing about moving a light receiver into TE is mentality and potential for size. Receivers are rarely pit bulls even when they're flexed wide. Unless we're talking the academy wrs, most of these guys are soft. Now, you're asking him to base or reach block a 9 Tech who typically is 240-260lbs. Worse case is him to base 6 Tech who usually 285-300lbs.

You better be a pit bull to sacrifice the size and strength going inline.

Before someone mentions the 49ers hback from Iowa. He's undersized but he is a T-Rex of testosterone. He's wired like a Troy polomalu. Those guys don't grow on trees.

Honestly, the pcc kid should be the best candidate on the team. Using him at fullback is a waste in this offense.

It’s mind boggling that we can’t seem to land or retain a prep tight end prospect. In a time when our recruiting seems to be really clicking we keep striking out with recruits. The latest was the kid who chose Louisiana - Lafayette and didn’t have any power five offers up to this point. Don’t blame him because of geography. Maybe Chris Beatty can get a committ from the Virginia area he recruits so well.
Yeah - review the video of all the possible remaining uncommitted prep TEs in VA and unleash Beatty on the top few. At this point you just got to get an actual TE in the pipeline.

The thing about moving a light receiver into TE is mentality and potential for size. Receivers are rarely pit bulls even when they're flexed wide. Unless we're talking the academy wrs, most of these guys are soft. Now, you're asking him to base or reach block a 9 Tech who typically is 240-260lbs. Worse case is him to base 6 Tech who usually 285-300lbs.

You better be a pit bull to sacrifice the size and strength going inline.

Before someone mentions the 49ers hback from Iowa. He's undersized but he is a T-Rex of testosterone. He's wired like a Troy polomalu. Those guys don't grow on trees.

Honestly, the pcc kid should be the best candidate on the team. Using him at fullback is a waste in this offense.

Great idea about Wheeler. The big boy got no carries despite the number of key 3&1 or 4&1 situations last year. And how many times did Pitt even line up with 21 or 22 personnel? Even if they used him as an H back to get more reps as a blocker, since he has actually played OL unlike most of the kids that have been moved or mentioned to do so.

No chance he moves. The kid did well as a true Frosh and is going to be a really good WR. He will get a lot better because he is very new to the WR position. In Canada he played QB. His last year of HS in FL he moved to WR for the first time.

had Jared as a student last summer. When I introduced myself, I said "you run track right?
400 or 800?" He will not be aTE. Not in this lifetime

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT