ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Capel Radio Show

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
Quick comments directly from the Coaches mouth

1) Capel comes off as "confident" with securing new talent with having 2 more available ships

2) Capel said Toney's concussion likely put him out for the year

3) Capel hyped up Femi and Jeffress and thinks both are going to be really good in the program in time. Capel said after he visited Femi in the hospital preseason for his broken arm it was a miracle he even played this year, which I reported months ago

4) Capel said Sibande got a raw deal getting the green light to play 50 minutes before tipoff before his first game. Says contact tracing set him further back but believes in his talent and thinks he is a player that can help the team moving forward

5) Capel expects Collier to get a much better chance moving forward

6) Capel said the team had a really good practice today. AKC did not practice because he wasn't feeling well.

Clemson is a loss, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they beat state and wake. Femi can make up for XJ. Toney is what hurts but if Sibande can give some solid minutes and the team plays as a team without turnovers and wild play, it is possible. Time for JC to go for 30/15 games.

Clemson is a loss, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they beat state and wake. Femi can make up for XJ. Toney is what hurts but if Sibande can give some solid minutes and the team plays as a team without turnovers and wild play, it is possible. Time for JC to go for 30/15 games.

its important to go at least 2-1 before the acc tourney. can give us some much needed positive pub and lessen recent blows

This team has played pretty well when undermanned this year. Maybe they come out fired up and get some wins. That is desperately needed.

Reactions: Saboteur II
I could see these things happening.
It might be one step back to take two steps forward.
Time will tell.

1) Capel comes off as "confident" with securing new talent with having 2 more available ships

3) Capel hyped up Femi and Jeffress and thinks both are going to be really good in the program in time. Capel said after he visited Femi in the hospital preseason for his broken arm it was a miracle he even played this year, which I reported months ago

4) Capel said Sibande got a raw deal getting the green light to play 50 minutes before tipoff before his first game. Says contact tracing set him further back but believes in his talent and thinks he is a player that can help the team moving forward

6) Capel said the team had a really good practice today. AKC did not practice because he wasn't feeling well.

This and the rest of your post was
timely and informative. Why do
you have to ruin it with....."which
I reported months ago."

If you're good at something, you
don't have to remind everyone.

Reactions: 20-20Hindsight
This and the rest of your post was
timely and informative. Why do
you have to ruin it with....."which
I reported months ago."

If you're good at something, you
don't have to remind everyone.

even the good posters have to show a little smf now and again. at least vader isnt 1 for 11,567,234 on prognostications. like our in house same message over and over drum beating fool is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt MD
even the good posters have show a little smf now and again. at least vader isnt 1 for 11,567,234 on prognostications. like our in house same message over and iver drum beating fool is.

If it were just "now and then,"
I wouldn't have said anything.
I actually praised him for an
"informative" post.

Reactions: caleco's
HCJC sounds a tad delusional here.

Jeff Capel after Losing Two Key Players: 'Long Term, I Don't See Any Effects' | Pittsburgh Sports Now

“Long term, I don’t see any effects, to be honest with you,” Capel told Jeff Hathhorn, who hosts the show. “Again, that is not doing anything or saying anything to diminish them, but we have to recruit. We have to get guys. We have to continue to develop the young men that are in our program. That’s what we plan to do. I look at it as it gives us two more scholarships to go out and to get guys that really want to be here and be a part of what we are doing align with the guys that we have.”

Reactions: levance2 and gary2
even the good posters have to show a little smf now and again. at least vader isnt 1 for 11,567,234 on prognostications. like our in house same message over and over drum beating fool is.
Yeah, but I have to give SMF credit for a change for at least sticking with one handle. Vader/Steel Curtain also has five other handles that fluff up his posts. Mainly stolen content too.

Yeah, but I have to give SMF credit for a change for at least sticking with one handle. Vader/Steel Curtain also has five other handles that fluff up his posts. Mainly stolen content too.

I surely do not have any other handle nor am I any poster on this forum from a previous time period, let me put that thought to bed.

As for me "stealing", well, go back to a few of my posts 2 years ago. I talked about players "then", players like RJ Davis, that were 0 star nobodies back in those days when I told you they were up and rising stars.

You see, when you miss all of AAU because of an injury like RJ Davis did his junior year or Levance Fields did "his" junior year, the Corey Evans of the "recruiting world" never heard of you because they didn't sit and watch you play AAU ball and they surely do not watch NY high school basketball games.

The only people that know players like this are people tied into a specific area or region. If I choose to make a 2022 list, Ill be sure to point out the players we are recruiting in 2022 that are not even in the 247 or rivals.com databases, just to prove a point to you.

I surely do not have any other handle nor am I any poster on this forum from a previous time period, let me put that thought to bed.

As for me "stealing", well, go back to a few of my posts 2 years ago. I talked about players "then", players like RJ Davis, that were 0 star nobodies back in those days when I told you they were up and rising stars.

You see, when you miss all of AAU because of an injury like RJ Davis did his junior year or Levance Fields did "his" junior year, the Corey Evans of the "recruiting world" never heard of you because they didn't sit and watch you play AAU ball and they surely do not watch NY high school basketball games.

The only people that know players like this are people tied into a specific area or region. If I choose to make a 2022 list, Ill be sure to point out the players we are recruiting in 2022 that are not even in the 247 or rivals.com databases, just to prove a point to you.
Do it

Reactions: CougarClaws

Jeff Capel after Losing Two Key Players: 'Long Term, I Don't See Any Effects' | Pittsburgh Sports Now

“Long term, I don’t see any effects, to be honest with you,” Capel told Jeff Hathhorn, who hosts the show. “Again, that is not doing anything or saying anything to diminish them, but we have to recruit. We have to get guys. We have to continue to develop the young men that are in our program. That’s what we plan to do. I look at it as it gives us two more scholarships to go out and to get guys that really want to be here and be a part of what we are doing align with the guys that we have.”

Well, to be fair, Johnson and Toney only had 1 year left anyway and with Champagnie leaving, this team had no chance to make the NCAAT next year. So while 6-14 next year with those 2 will be better than 2-18 without, we were going to royally suck anyway and then they'd be gone so long-term, yea, their leaving doesnt mean much if you look at it from that angle. However, a 0-2 win season next year would do so much damage, it probably affects recruiting and the optics of players not liking Capel probably damages recruiting so yea, it probably does hurt long-term.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

Well the context is long term
Meaning beyond next season

Thanks for this report Vader ... I actually appreciate an attempt at positivity in the face of what has smacked us in the last 48 hours.

Having said this ... just what else would one expect Capel to say at this point? I'm not criticizing Capel for this. In fact, I very much appreciate his public comments such this.

But anyone of us could have written this script for Jeff. I know I could have. For my day job, I'm a media/PR guy. This is exactly what I would have written for him to say. And that doesn't make it BS. But it is coachspeak for sure.

The transfer market is going to be an absolute fiesta this offseason. I'm just not sure if that's good or bad for Pitt. There will be movement and we have a roster to fill, so that's good. But we've gotten excited about transfers and JuCos before and it seems, outside the elite guys, they never play at an ACC starter level.

Think of: Rafael Maia, Malik Ellison, Kene Chukwuka, Sterling Smith, Alonzo Nelson-Ododa, Tyrone Haughton, Ryan Murphy. These were all guys who I convinced myself could make a difference, and they hardly played (aside from Chukwuka who played hard for some very undermanned teams).

I'm really trying to be positive because it's been a rough week and we're staring down the barrel of a couple more rough weeks, I'm just bearish a couple transfers solve this problem.

The question is would having X and Toney here next season help take the program to the next level ? They’ve already been here for 3 yrs and while there’s no denying that Toney has improved , X’s best season was his first and Pitt is nowhere close to being a tournament team with them . It’s prudent to remember what the Pirates told Ralph Kiner , who wanted a raise and was told , we came in last place with you and we can do it without you !

I guess if everything would break Pitts way next season with JC returning , rapid improvement of Jeffress , Collier , Horton , Femi ,AKC , Nike , the reinstatement of Hugley and a solid addition then Pitt could be at worst a true bubble team .with X and Toney . All that happening is unlikely so if they aren’t happy here then thanks , but don’t let the door hit you on the way out .

Since HCJC is staying and X and Toney aren’t as a Pitt fan I’m hoping this is addition by subtraction . As things stand now next yr might be ruff , but maybe the added pt for the freshman will have benefits down the line .

The transfer market is going to be an absolute fiesta this offseason. I'm just not sure if that's good or bad for Pitt. There will be movement and we have a roster to fill, so that's good. But we've gotten excited about transfers and JuCos before and it seems, outside the elite guys, they never play at an ACC starter level.

Think of: Rafael Maia, Malik Ellison, Kene Chukwuka, Sterling Smith, Alonzo Nelson-Ododa, Tyrone Haughton, Ryan Murphy. These were all guys who I convinced myself could make a difference, and they hardly played (aside from Chukwuka who played hard for some very undermanned teams).

I'm really trying to be positive because it's been a rough week and we're staring down the barrel of a couple more rough weeks, I'm just bearish a couple transfers solve this problem.

Very true @Cavalier Panther This year aside, the transfer portal is always crazy - but will players "want" to come to Pitt? Capel needs players (not necessarily bodies), but will they be good and/or make an impact? Pitt isn't a destination for top recruits or transfers. Hard reality/truth.

I don’t see an issue with what Capel said, it probably doesn’t affect the long term very much at all. It’s the short term we should be worried about... the departures could make the very near future disastrous.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

Yeah. That was.....I dunno......dismissing what happened as "no big thing". And it is a big thing.

Reactions: Protes and Chescat
Because of COVID, they would've had two years left, if Pitt wanted them. It's not crystal clear, they might have two years left wherever they end up.

Yea but I am under the impression that neither are going to be 5 year college guys. I think both go play in Europe after next year.

Because of COVID, they would've had two years left, if Pitt wanted them. It's not crystal clear, they might have two years left wherever they end up.
It could be this was the discussion with them- and they indicated they weren’t interested in the extra year .
So- were told to play somewhere else next year?

Yeah. That was.....I dunno......dismissing what happened as "no big thing". And it is a big thing.
Yeah, it wasn't so much what he said as the the tone of it. This hurts short-term and it *could* hurt long-term. If the program is seen as being in disarray, recruits will be less likely to come here. I mean, let's say we do have a shot at Hood-Schifino. He has to be looking at this and wondering why the heck would I go to Pitt when HCJC is having so many problems keeping his guys.

Reactions: FireballZ
Yea but I am under the impression that neither are going to be 5 year college guys. I think both go play in Europe after next year.
Well what they want and what is possible are two different things. You are suggesting that this loss is minimized because they "only had 1 year left" when they clearly have two.

It could be this was the discussion with them- and they indicated they weren’t interested in the extra year .
So- were told to play somewhere else next year?

It seems just as likely to me that Capel could've said we have no interest in a 5th year of XJ throwing tantrums. If you want that year, you might as well leave now.

Well what they want and what is possible are two different things. You are suggesting that this loss is minimized because they "only had 1 year left" when they clearly have two.
Wasn’t it Toney or Trey last yr and now the rumor that X and Toney were having issues ? So who really wants this soap opera for 2 more yrs ?

I personally think that as long as X was the pg JC will never be successful here .

A happy Toney is a loss a guy whose a malcontent isn’t .

The buried lead...'align with the guys that we have.'

I said this another thread... but To me, this incident in itself is not a big deal. But it’s not an isolated incident. It’s a pattern. And to brush it off as nothing I guess is what you need to do as the head coach. But it’s a very concerning pattern. As I said, if you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you ran into assholes all day, you’re the asshole.

Reactions: Drew1208
I said this another thread... but To me, this incident in itself is not a big deal. But it’s not an isolated incident. It’s a pattern. And to brush it off as nothing I guess is what you need to do as the head coach. But it’s a very concerning pattern. As I said, if you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you ran into assholes all day, you’re the asshole.
What’s the concerning pattern exactly ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT