ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Hafley to the NFL

These college coaches have been put in a very difficult position. Free transfer every year, NIL, recruiting is a dirty, slimy game and there are no rules and regulations. It’s all about money. Period.
I don’t blame them one bit for getting out of the college game.
You are going to see more and more coaches hit the road.

These college coaches have been put in a very difficult position. Free transfer every year, NIL, recruiting is a dirty, slimy game and there are no rules and regulations. It’s all about money. Period.
Hafley was making $3 million at BC. Average coordinator salary is around $1 million according to my impeccable source Google. That's a big haircut. And would have been even bigger for Kingsbury if he were a serious candidate for the Steelers OC position. I can totally understand a college coordinator making the move, but I'm a bit surprised about the head coaches, even with the challenging landscape.

This surprised me. Hafley must be either well connected or a very lovable guy, because he seems to always get good jobs. His performance has been average to underwhelming in my opinion, dating back to his Pitt days.

I think this is a good move for him though. Aside from pay, I believe that the GB DC is a better job than being the BC HC. There's only so much you can do at BC. If he does an OK to decent job in GB then he can probably leverage it into a HC position.

They're paid very well for their troubles and I feel no pity for them.

Last edited:
Hafley was making $3 million at BC. Average coordinator salary is around $1 million according to my impeccable source Google. That's a big haircut. And would have been even bigger for Kingsbury if he were a serious candidate for the Steelers OC position. I can totally understand a college coordinator making the move, but I'm a bit surprised about the head coaches, even with the challenging landscape.
The coordinators in the Big Ten are making more than a million. I imagine those numbers are up for an adjustment.

BC is probably one of the bottom 5 Power 5 jobs in terms of school resources and being well-positioned for the NIL era. Can’t blame him for jumping at the opportunity. Two good years (heck maybe one) in the NFL and he will a head coaching candidate.

I thought he would be on the chopping block at BC, and a potential position coach for Pitt. I guess he finished strong this season and saved his neck?

Reactions: Snyder412 and gary2

I think it comes down to him just wanting to coach football. That and he had a really tough gig at BC, made even more difficult by NIL. As the DC at Ohio State, he needed to be more patient. Stay there a few years and maybe you get a job like WVU or Cincy or VT or something like that. He jumped too quick.

The college game is so disgusting now. You have a team of free agents who can leave at any time and you dont have a GM to deal with these contracts. So its you. You are CEO, HC, and GM.

I doubt that $1 million is accurate, it's probably closer to $2-2.5. The thing that shocked me was how few DCs have held their current job more than 2 years. 27 Teams have had their current DC 2 seasons or fewer or are vacant.

Vic Fangio was making 4.5 million at Miami before he left to join Philly the other day.
Bobby Babich was making $600k as linebacker coach before getting promoted to DC at Buffalo.
Patrick Graham was making $2million as the Giants DC before going to Vegas.
Ejiro Evero is making $3.1 million as Carolina's DC.
Lou Anarumo is making $1.5 million as the Bengals DC.

Reactions: PittSquared
What a loser. He leaves his whole staff and roster hanging this late in the game because he knows he won't last more than 2 more seasons at BC and cries about NIL on his way out.

He's not wrong, though. Who would want to put up with this stuff if you're at a school like BC? You can't build a program when anything you do develop can just be bought away. I'm sure you get tired of 18-year-old kids who haven't earned a damn thing asking, "What can you do for me?"

What a loser. He leaves his whole staff and roster hanging this late in the game because he knows he won't last more than 2 more seasons at BC and cries about NIL on his way out.

The assistants know what they signed up for. The kids can enter the portal now. They are pro football players. I do not feel sorry for them.

Yes, NIL has changed things.

But coaches complaining about the college requirements compared to the NFL has been around forever. “It’s just 9-5 and then you get to go play golf” is one of the selling points Dan Snyder used to lure Spurrier to Washington. Because Steve hated a lot of the side stuff that went into being a college coach.

This feels more like Scott S. leaving LVILLE last year for Cinn., than it does NIL causing him to quit college football.

I doubt that $1 million is accurate, it's probably closer to $2-2.5. The thing that shocked me was how few DCs have held their current job more than 2 years. 27 Teams have had their current DC 2 seasons or fewer or are vacant.

Vic Fangio was making 4.5 million at Miami before he left to join Philly the other day.
Bobby Babich was making $600k as linebacker coach before getting promoted to DC at Buffalo.
Patrick Graham was making $2million as the Giants DC before going to Vegas.
Ejiro Evero is making $3.1 million as Carolina's DC.
Lou Anarumo is making $1.5 million as the Bengals DC.
Saying Hafley is getting just under $4 million.

Packers News

He's not wrong, though. Who would want to put up with this stuff if you're at a school like BC? You can't build a program when anything you do develop can just be bought away. I'm sure you get tired of 18-year-old kids who haven't earned a damn thing asking, "What can you do for me?"
Remind me, are these kids going to schools and begging them to play football there? Because if it’s the other way around then I’d say they earned a lot.

Some coaches just want to coach and not mess with the dirty and unbalanced recruiting. The timing could have been better for BC though.

The college game is so disgusting now. You have a team of free agents who can leave at any time and you dont have a GM to deal with these contracts. So its you. You are CEO, HC, and GM.
The big schools actually do have GM positions now.

Odd move in that I thought Hafley’s strength was recruiting and not actual X’s and O’s coaching. College game seemed to fit his strength

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT