ADVERTISEMENT

Jeshuan Jones

Apr 26, 2012
Very encouraging story about Jones just posted on PSN. This would be a very important get for Pitt.

I think he is the best of the 3 WR recruits Pitt is pursuing, and appears to be fast and really skilled at making people miss. So, I can see him taking over the Q Henderson role right away. Also has good ball skills as a WR, something that QH doesn't have much of.

Why not? Ffrench played that role as a freshman, and while he has great speed, he doesn't have nearly the ability this guy has to make people miss. And Jones appears to be a much more skilled wideout as well. I'm not saying he will be a starting WR as a freshman, playing most downs, but I can see him playing, as he has a skill set that the other WRs are lacking.

Ok I got it.....so using your explanation, maybe French should be Henderson's
replacement.

Ok I got it.....so using your explanation, maybe French should be Henderson's
replacement.

Ffrench probably gets the first shot to take over Q henderson's position. But if someone else does it better they will get the chance. I think French can become a good player he does have pretty elite speed. Also Sibley will probably be in the mix for returns.

He has looked "pedestrian" as a receiver, but then again.... so has Henderson. I
guess what I'm wondering about is, can anyone we have or are recruiting replace
Henderson as a returner...both KO's and PR's.

I would take any one of these Florida recruits over Claude Raines any day. A lot of these local kids just aren’t as great as Mike White tells us they are.

This kid reminds me of Tyler Boyd.
That thought went through my mind for a second too. I didn't go there, assuming many would blow up at the suggestion, but there is something about the way he starts and stops that's reminiscent of Boyd.

On another note -- and I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet -- Ford may be considered even more as an offensive option with Henderson gone.

Out of the 3, I think Harris is the best, then Shocky then Jones. I would be happy with any of the 3.

The other two seems to have played more as tradtional WRS, but as most noted, he is a very dynamic player with the ball in his hands. I get the Boyd comparison, the one that jumped out to me was Peter Warrick.

He would be a really nice add as a weapon for the offense. They have prioritized getting those bigger Flanker type WRs, with a few Split end or slot guys, this kid would add some real talent to those spots.

I've had my criticisms of Heinz Field as ugly/spacious/too open air. But very cool to hear that Jones and his mother were impressed by seeing the Steelers working out in the weight room.

They also said they liked the campus and city, which is something we seem to hear from most recruits.

If we can get even one conference title game to show how our game-day atmosphere can be at its peak (ala the infamous Cinci game) and that we can be a consistent winner, recruiting could really take off again considering the amount of talent we could grab from PA, NJ, and FL and our consistent ability to get players into the NFL.

This kid reminds me of Tyler Boyd.

His running style and athletic ability in that highlight video sure does: very smooth and with excellent anticipation and quickness. Also looks to have great body control.

The rest of his game would still have TBD. Making all the catches; route running; holding up physically.

Of course the same held true with TB when he came to Pitt. He really was used as a true WR at Clairton very little (he was an all-purpose type of offensive player at Clairton and the Bears didn't throw the ball very much) so there wasn't a lot of video of him running routes and catching passes in high school.

But Jones is definitely a nice looking prospect on video. Coming from Ft. Myers, FL would imagine he's playing against relatively solid competition, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT