ADVERTISEMENT

Joey porter earning his nickname

It certainly looks like cover 2 and that the slot guy going to the flat was Porter's zone and his responsibility (so Porter would have to come off of Etienne), and Etienne is the safety's responsibility.

If Minkah is back there, this play probably doesn't work for the Jags. Instead, Minkah is hurt and the play goes for 6.

Reactions: pittpsu
It certainly looks like cover 2 and that the slot guy going to the flat was Porter's zone and his responsibility (so Porter would have to come off of Etienne), and Etienne is the safety's responsibility.

If Minkah is back there, this play probably doesn't work for the Jags. Instead, Minkah is hurt and the play goes for 6.

Yeah, if anything JPJ recognized the breakdown and tried to get there

Porter is the only Steelers DB that belongs on an NFL roster outside of Fitzpatrick. Kazee, Neal, Pierre, Wallace and Peterson all blow

Reactions: cdheller76
The kid made a couple nice plays today. Good tackle after a catch on what would have likely been a TD otherwise. He looked to have been crossed up on the Etienne td, but that could have been the safety’s fault. Hardly damming given he’s just a rookie. I mean, he SHOULD play decent given he was graded as high as a mid first rounder but still

The kid made a couple nice plays today. Good tackle after a catch on what would have likely been a TD otherwise. He looked to have been crossed up on the Etienne td, but that could have been the safety’s fault. Hardly damming given he’s just a rookie. I mean, he SHOULD play decent given he was graded as high as a mid first rounder but still
He essentially had no safety help on the back end. But even if it was all his fault, these are the things you have to deal with with a rookie corner. You take your lumps. But even the best ones get beat.

Anyone saying the kid can’t cover, like the OP, it reeks of being agenda driven. Yes he has a rep for being too handsy. Yes he isn’t a good tackler at this point of his career. But he was a highly sought after prospect because of his cover skills.

Reactions: Hardslider21

Some of you guys are like the John Birch Society when it comes to Penn State. I root against them every week, but I don't see a point in continuing to hate on their players once they move on to the NFL.

Imagine watching that game and coming away thinking JPJ is the problem (or a problem).
Or the defense in general. Did they give up plays? Yes. But they were on the field the entire game because of the garbage offense yet still managed to hold JAX to their second-lowest point total of the season.

Reactions: mlvnsmly
Are you even a Steelers fan? if you are you suck for rooting against our #2 draft pick. I hope you're not a Steelers fan.
Yeah I mean Franco Harris was one of my all time favorites when I grew up watching the Steelers .. I don't get it ...

He essentially had no safety help on the back end. But even if it was all his fault, these are the things you have to deal with with a rookie corner. You take your lumps. But even the best ones get beat.

Anyone saying the kid can’t cover, like the OP, it reeks of being agenda driven. Yes he has a rep for being too handsy. Yes he isn’t a good tackler at this point of his career. But he was a highly sought after prospect because of his cover skills.
Plus he’s going after a rookie D back when the offense scored 10 points. Just dumb.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
So according to PFF they don’t hold Porter accountable at all for that TD? Kinda refutes the OP in a big way.

Yeah and one of those 2 catches was the one here he made the 3rd down stop, which was more important.

So according to PFF they don’t hold Porter accountable at all for that TD? Kinda refutes the OP in a big way.
we arent going to hold the safety accountable that took the worst angle in the world on that play? I think it was Kazee. dude either lost his mind or had money on the jags, or both..

we arent going to hold the safety accountable that took the worst angle in the world on that play? I think it was Kazee. dude either lost his mind or had money on the jags, or both..
I find it interesting that Peezy Jr plays almost every snap for the first time, and then a day later Tomlin declared him a full time starter. That should speak volumes about his performance. But sandwiched in between is this thread. Weird.

I find it interesting that Peezy Jr plays almost every snap for the first time, and then a day later Tomlin declared him a full time starter. That should speak volumes about his performance. But sandwiched in between is this thread. Weird.
we got 99 problems but JPJ aint one.

• Haha
uh oh, we may all owe Teton an apology. looks like that TD pass was a JPJ screw up..

uh oh, we may all owe Teton an apology. looks like that TD pass was a JPJ screw up..

Yeah I was thinking about this since Tetons crazy thread. Whether it’s cover 2 or cover 3, or they disguised it and went man…Peezy Jr didn’t exactly do his job in ANY of the cases. That’s why PFF letting Peezy off the hook is absolutely ridiculous. PFF can’t rate players accurately because they have no idea what player responsibilities are on plays. But on a play like this, if they’ve played middle school football then they should absolutely put some of the blame on Peezy. How would his grade have been if he had a big part in the only TD surrendered during the game?

Still, bashing Peezy here is ridiculous and tribal. So a rookie gave up a TD…big deal.

Yeah I was thinking about this since Tetons crazy thread. Whether it’s cover 2 or cover 3, or they disguised it and went man…Peezy Jr didn’t exactly do his job in ANY of the cases. That’s why PFF letting Peezy off the hook is absolutely ridiculous. PFF can’t rate players accurately because they have no idea what player responsibilities are on plays. But on a play like this, if they’ve played middle school football then they should absolutely put some of the blame on Peezy. How would his grade have been if he had a big part in the only TD surrendered during the game?

Still, bashing Peezy here is ridiculous and tribal. So a rookie gave up a TD…big deal.
from a typical fan perspective, it just looked like Kazee jumped the route and took a horrible angle, gambled on it being thrown earlier.

but yeah, looking at this tweet, looks like JPJ screwed up. wouldnt say he got burnt as much as him just screwing up the coverage. it happens i gues..

from a typical fan perspective, it just looked like Kazee jumped the route and took a horrible angle, gambled on it being thrown earlier.

but yeah, looking at this tweet, looks like JPJ screwed up. wouldnt say he got burnt as much as him just screwing up the coverage. it happens i gues..
I thought it was cover 2 when I saw it live. But the tweet says that it was M2M. But either way, you cant just let your WR beat you outside. If it’s C2 you filter him inside and if it’s M2M you stay with him. PFF should know this. Football players learn this when they are 13.

That’s why PFF letting Peezy off the hook is absolutely ridiculous. PFF can’t rate players accurately because they have no idea what player responsibilities are on plays.
It's why I have never taken that outlet serious.

There is no way they can produce honest evaluations unless they're part of the coaching staff.

Ron Jaworski used to that ESPN show with Hoge and for the life of me, I never understood how they could grade players honestly. At least they were football guys. The founder of PFF said he personally trains the staff and he said you don't need to know football to do it. I asked Teryl Austin once if they use it, he just chuckled.

It's why I have never taken that outlet serious.

There is no way they can produce honest evaluations unless they're part of the coaching staff.

Ron Jaworski used to that ESPN show with Hoge and for the life of me, I never understood how they could grade players honestly. At least they were football guys. The founder of PFF said he personally trains the staff and he said you don't need to know football to do it. I asked Teryl Austin once if they use it, he just chuckled.
They do say that every NFL franchise subscribes to it, so I dunno.

I just always chuckle every time they grade Miles Garrett ahead of TJ Watt and reward Garrett for almost getting to the QB 3 times and somehow think that’s more important than TJ actually getting to the QB 2 times. I mean, I almost did a lot of things too but I don’t get rewarded for it. I place parlays every week and often come up one leg short…but i never finish the job. Somehow Draft Kings never puts a deposit into my bank account because I was close.

I am curious what techniques they teach at the NFL level for man to man coverage ... do you not look at your guy? Once the ball is snapped, it looks like Porter's head is turned to the QB the entire time, he never once looks at his man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT