ADVERTISEMENT

Joey porter earning his nickname

I am curious what techniques they teach at the NFL level for man to man coverage ... do you not look at your guy? Once the ball is snapped, it looks like Porter's head is turned to the QB the entire time, he never once looks at his man.
So - if they were in straight man - the eyes would obviously have been directly on the man they have. However, if they were in quarters or say even 2 read or what some call "palms" the eyes should be on the #2 receiver to the QB while the 1st 3 steps of the route develops.

If it was m2m why do the Steelers have a S covering the WR and a CB covering a RB? Seems like that should be reversed?

If it was m2m why do the Steelers have a S covering the WR and a CB covering a RB? Seems like that should be reversed?
If the RB was the #1 receiver from the sideline the corner usually always takes him. It's just matchup rules. Defenses can get in a bind either way if they try it either way. One thing Canada and Cigs did in their previous stops was motion the FB out at the #1 spot and get a corner on him and put a safety on either Boyd or Baldwin and it was a matchup nightmare.

If the RB was the #1 receiver from the sideline the corner usually always takes him. It's just matchup rules. Defenses can get in a bind either way if they try it either way. One thing Canada and Cigs did in their previous stops was motion the FB out at the #1 spot and get a corner on him and put a safety on either Boyd or Baldwin and it was a matchup nightmare.

I mean, shouldn't a defense be flexible enough to adjust so that they don't get caught in that mismatch?

I mean, shouldn't a defense be flexible enough to adjust so that they don't get caught in that mismatch?
Well they were trying to disguise cover 2. The second Porter lines up over the #2 receiver and Kazee cheats out toward the #1 receiver, it is a dead giveaway that it is man to man and Lawrence can exploit it.

So just watching this play in detail.

99% of the teams would not line the corner up inside on the #2 receiver with the safety on the #1 regardless of offensive personnel. Trips has it's own coverage rules compared to 2x1 and 2x2 sets. Teams don't really mess around with exotic coverage with regards to personnel vs trips. As a matter of fact because of the nature of trips most teams limit with the MIKE LB does and they go to some type of pattern match where the MIKE is a hook/curl player and they put all the deep coverage on the DB's.

From the view, I see it appears that the Steelers are in palms coverage aka - "2 READ". 2 Read turns into man coverage beyond 5 yards. It's a great coverage because it has the benefits of cover 2 and cover 4. The weakness is the corner is the wheel player. That can be difficult vs certain formations and personnel. In Duzz's Cover 4 (a sister to 2 read), the OLB is the wheel player in it's base form.

This is not straight man because look at the DB's heads during presnap and cadence. They all have their eyes inside.

The breakdown of this pass - is the field safety, not Porter.

But but but. Hes almost a first round pick. Thuth. He is a second round pick. Not almost a first. Second round get it.

No I don’t get it.

How can you not understand the "thuth"?

On the other hand, isn't it the "thuth" that the first pick of the second round does, in fact, mean almost in the first round? Especially in a year when there was one fewer first round pick than normal?

Well what do ya all think now? 98% of the plays he was on the field, and mostly matched up with Hopkins, limiting him to 4 catches. Not bad for a rookie. But then he had a critical holding penalty on the last drive, albeit ticky tack.

I’ll take that performance every day. He’s the Steeler rookie CB with the most pedigree and upside that I can remember.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
JPJ is looking like a true legit really good CB. surprised how good he is truly playing. i dont know boys, im feeling much better about our two first Rd picks (yeah yeah, i know porter jr was technically 2nd round) with him and Jones..

Broderick looked great at RT last night, no way even stubborn tomlin puts him back on the bench. Chuks is gone after this year, zero reason to play him outside of injury.

Well what do ya all think now? 98% of the plays he was on the field, and mostly matched up with Hopkins, limiting him to 4 catches. Not bad for a rookie. But then he had a critical holding penalty on the last drive, albeit ticky tack.

I’ll take that performance every day. He’s the Steeler rookie CB with the most pedigree and upside that I can remember.
He's a bum.

A picture of Peezy Jr that matches Teton’s opinion of him.

F-BDgHpacAA69kQ

• Love
Seems like the PG is recognizing JP Jr as having done a very good job covering Hopkins all over the field, and limiting Hopkins to 60 yards, versus the 128yds, 3 TD's he put up the previous week. And that JP Jr's play had a good bit to do with the Steelers holding the Titans to 16 points. Patrick Peterson, who knows a good bit about playing CB in the NFL, also believes Porter is making progress towards being the Steelers #1 CB.

But but but. Hes almost a first round pick. Thuth. He is a second round pick. Not almost a first. Second round get it.

You’re the one acting like a Nitter fan with this thread. Coming in trying to make a controversial point. Get a few quick little laughs. Then DISAPPEAR when JPJ locks down one of the best in the game.

(Then will hope the thread disappears. Or…will resurrect it when he has one bad half)

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

When you watch him live, he could get flagged on almost play for holding. The lack of interest in tackling is going to be the bigger issue.

Pretty much the scouting book on him coming out of pedst.

As a Steeler fan, I'd root for Saddam Hussein if he were starting for us. For me that supersedes everything. The NFL is an amoral business.

Regarding tackling, most shutdown corners don't excel at it. Coach Prime was completely allergic to contact, for the most part, and he's one of the best ever.

I don't know about "toast" as a nickname for Porter but I think (and I said this in another post when they took him in the draft) the nickname "HOLDER" would be more appropriate for him.
I watched him play in a couple of games at psu and he seemed to be grabbing the WR that he was playing against and holding on to him. I fully expected this style of play from him to continue with the steelers. It was only a matter of time until the officials start to call it and it does appear the time is now. If the his name was Jim Smith, he would never have been drafted that high. tomlin did the tomlin thing and drafted Joey Porter's son because he is friends with the man.

And yet, others seem to think he is playing very well and are willing to put their real names on it. The kid is only 7 games into his NFL career. He's doing fine.

Saying a CB holds too much doesn't show he holds too much. It shows you don't watch much football or don't understand it. Holding is the only way any CB survives today and that includes the very best in the league

When you watch him live, he could get flagged on almost play for holding. The lack of interest in tackling is going to be the bigger issue.

Pretty much the scouting book on him coming out of pedst.
NFL refs don't keep their flags in their pockets for defensive holding let alone for a rookie cornerback. His lack of tackling isn't going to be a huge issue if he continues to shut down receivers. He's easily the Steelers best cover cornerback.

And yet, others seem to think he is playing very well and are willing to put their real names on it. The kid is only 7 games into his NFL career. He's doing fine.
If you want your CB's to collect multiple holding and PI calls a game, then yes he is doing tremendous. BY the way, it doesn't matter that he's 7 games into the season, this is just how the guy plays CB. He clutches and grabs quite often. Didn't follow him at NA but I bet that he played the same way there because that's how he played at psu.

Saying a CB holds too much doesn't show he holds too much. It shows you don't watch much football or don't understand it. Holding is the only way any CB survives today and that includes the very best in the league
Played football all the way through four years of college and I do understand how to play the sport and that position. Also, based upon your last sentence, it does appear that you do agree with me that he does hold. Thanks.

Reactions: jayhawks65
Played football all the way through four years of college and I do understand how to play the sport and that position. Also, based upon your last sentence, it does appear that you do agree with me that he does hold. Thanks.
In the last 10 years (2013-2022), defensive pass interference and defensive holding have been 3rd and 4th in the most-called penalties in the NFL for 17 of 20 3rd and 4th place slots. The only more frequently called penalties were false starts (2) and offensive holding (1). The other 3 times unnecessary roughness snuck into the 4th spot. You understand the way you think the position should be played, not the way it actually is played. Defensive holding, and DPI, which commonly takes the form of arm grabbing (aka a form of holding) as the ball is coming down, is how everybody plays the position now. 2023 so far, defensive holding and DPI in 3rd and 4th place yet again. Go tell NFL DBs to get off your lawn with their grabby hands, I don't think they're gonna listen to you

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT