ADVERTISEMENT

Jurc.....Practice vs Games

Chescat

All Conference
Jul 5, 2001
I find it hard to believe that throughout many practices there
weren't signs that Jurc had weaknesses in his passing game.
He misses his targets frequently and by a lot. His ball often
times flutters and looks like a wounded duck. He's slow in his
movements and apparently can't recognize wide open receivers.
I'm not a football coach and I recognized some of these things
while watching the spring game. I realize some guys are all stars
in practice and duds in real time (games), and the opposite is
sometimes true. However, I gotta believe the coaches have
seen these weaknesse in practice, so they shouldn't be totally
surprised no matter how they spin it publically.

He seems to be a completely different player after his first
successful year at BC. His last two years and so far this year
have been pretty bad. The Wofford game doesn't count, but
the last two do. Something's off with him and the coaches
can't be that blind.

can't be that blind.
What matters are results. In terms of production and performance in games.

For Phil and Pitt, the results have been putrid. Of course it’s not all on just the QB play. But he is the one guy that has the ball in his hands on every offensive play. And in the passing game he is the trigger man.

He makes the final decision where and when to throw the ball when he releases it. That part absolutely IS on him. And again, the results speak for themself and they have undoubtedly been very poor.

Yes, the results matter. My point though was also about
the coaches and many, many others being surprised
by these, as you said, "very poor results." I'll say it
again, they had to see signs of this in the many
practices they've had. When you can't hit a RB out
of the backfield on a short swing pass, constantly
overthrow and underthrow to your receivers, not
recognizing. wide open receivers and throwing into
double and triple coverages..... somethings off.
Again, I'm saying...... something must have been seen
in practices. The coaches had to know this before
the actual games. I just don't believe they're all
that surprised. If they are, they're in the wrong
profession.

Last edited:
the staff has no faith in him, it's obvious with the plays and play calling they had against wvu. Are you telling me he looks great in practice but you throw it 3- 4- times in the first half??

it's such an easy question to ask him but of course knowing the media that covers pitt, they'll walk on eggshells and ask ridiculous questions and avoid the obvious..

Reactions: 303vND
the staff has no faith in him, it's obvious with the plays and play calling they had against wvu. Are you telling me he looks great in practice but you throw it 3- 4- times in the first half??

it's such an easy question to ask him but of course knowing the media that covers pitt, they'll walk on eggshells and ask ridiculous questions and avoid the obvious..
And thats against a team whose weakness was defending the pass. Let that sink in

Reactions: Dan1911 and 303vND
And thats against a team whose weakness was defending the pass. Let that sink in
That’s not even something that needs to sink in. Everyone watching this game could see the ludicrousness unfolding.

Man it’s one thing to lose, but to do it in absolute moronic fashion over the entirety of the game… in one of our few high profile games… words fail.

Whatever stature, which is silly in itself to suggest for a team with one 11 win season in 40, for the program Narduzzi agonizingly built over eight grinding years and particularly the last two, he has managed to piss away in two weeks

It honestly looks like this offense hasn't practiced all offseason. He and the receivers are doing completely different things.

Now, he sucked in 2021... he sucked in 2022... and he sucks now. So I find it difficult to believe that he had a solid spring and/or summer and then just fell apart in time for the season. I honestly thing that he is so bad that it actually affected what we were able to do in practice.

Every sportswriter I've seen is absolutely shredding him. The real story here is how in the world two guys - Narduzzi and Cignetti - who have been in the game of football as long as they have could have seen 8 months of this and signed off on it. What's going on behind the scenes? Was it a promise to Phil's family that they would give him a shot? Doesn't seem very fair to take away Bub Means' last shot to impress because they want to give Phil a shot. In fact the whole premise sounds like high school football. We're three games in and we don't have a wide receiver with 100 yards for the season. This isn't fair to the other players, Pat. Time to let someone else play.

It honestly looks like this offense hasn't practiced all offseason. He and the receivers are doing completely different things.

Now, he sucked in 2021... he sucked in 2022... and he sucks now. So I find it difficult to believe that he had a solid spring and/or summer and then just fell apart in time for the season. I honestly thing that he is so bad that it actually affected what we were able to do in practice.

Every sportswriter I've seen is absolutely shredding him. The real story here is how in the world two guys - Narduzzi and Cignetti - who have been in the game of football as long as they have could have seen 8 months of this and signed off on it. What's going on behind the scenes? Was it a promise to Phil's family that they would give him a shot? Doesn't seem very fair to take away Bub Means' last shot to impress because they want to give Phil a shot. In fact the whole premise sounds like high school football. We're three games in and we don't have a wide receiver with 100 yards for the season. This isn't fair to the other players, Pat. Time to let someone else play.
Totally agree!!

it looked like the game against MSU years ago, at their place, when we had no qbs at all so we just went to the wildcat with McCoy...

i get it for that team, they literally didnt have a qb. but this team, narduzzi said it's the deepest our qb room has ever been. it's so deep, we attempt 4 forward passes in the first half.

it looked like the game against MSU years ago, at their place, when we had no qbs at all so we just went to the wildcat with McCoy...

i get it for that team, they literally didnt have a qb. but this team, narduzzi said it's the deepest our qb room has ever been. it's so deep, we attempt 4 forward passes in the first half.

Yep. That game comes to mind, as does Tyler Palko starting for the Kansas City Chiefs against the Steelers.

And not deep enough to go to one of the backups? Even for a token possession or two to try to rally? With your “deep” group of backups?

I figured my disgust would have subsided on this by now but it has actually amplified. Pitt admin should actually feel lucky that they still have enough fans who are passionate enough to still be pissed off by their garbage at this point…

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Yes, the results matter. my point though was about
the coaches and many, many others being surprised
by these, as you said, "very poor results." I'll say it
again, they had to see signs of this in the many
practices they've had. When you can't hit a RB out
of the backfield on a short swing pass, constantly
overthrow and underthrow to your receivers, not
recognizing. wide open receivers and throwing into
double and triple coverages..... somethings off. Again,
I'm saying...... something" must have been seen
in practices. The coaches had to know this before
the actual games. I jut don't believe they're all
that ssurprised. If they are, they're in the wrong
profession.
It’s a puzzler, for sure. Practice vs games. Hard to say or speculate without seeing the practices. But for one thing, I was a bit disturbed to hear PN’s comments after the UC game about maybe him going too easy on the team leading to them not being sharp, especially in the 1H in that 27-21 loss. The inference to me was the practices may have lacked enough physicality and intensity. And he didn’t intervene and demand more.

Speaking from my own firsthand experiences with team sports, maybe the biggest difference between practices and games is PRESSURE. In games you are playing vs an opponent who is extremely intense. Against players who aren’t your teammates and whose game and tendencies and skill set you aren‘t so familiar with. Also practices typically aren’t run at all-out game speed. Mistakes in games are magnified because the stakes are so high. Some players have more trouble responding to game pressure than others.

Just me, but maybe the pressure in practices needs ramped up to better reveal things. The stakes raised. You have to win your job in practice each week. Or if you’re the incumbent starter, you have to compete to keep it. Maybe they’re doing this right now and PJ is so much better than the others that there is no question? (Gulp!)

Regardless, the QB play right now isn’t good enough to give the team its’ best chance to win. It has to change for the better. Very soon!

Agree with everything you said. Its just dumbfounding to say the least that guys whose jobs are on the line are sticking with a 6th year senior who clearly awful and who has alienated the fan base with idiotic comments on booing.

Now if you listened to what Duzz said post game you may glean a bit of his rationale (even though I think its dumb to be kind)

He said something to the effect that "you guys want to change things at the first sign of adversity. It doesnt work that way.............its not fair to the player or the team"

Duzz has made a huge deal of the culture on the team and why kids stick around (ie they earn the right to start over the years of paying their Dues). So it could be hes promoted this pay your dues and you'll get your chance and is afraid to pull the plug too soon. I think its why you see guys like Collier, Temple etc starting and younger guys riding the pine. People crucified DW for his UNION RULEs but DUZZ is every bit as bad.

Some guys are practice studs and crap the bed on gameday. That said, what I don't know is what part Cignetti plays in this mess.

No idea how plausible it is but is there a chance that a donor who is footing an NIL deal is having way too much influence over this?

all those pitt fans a few weeks ago who were laughing and mocking other pitt fans for saying that Narduzzi would never promise the job to someone, he always plays the best player and any sort of promise to Phil is stupid and would never happen..

where are those fans now? I dont see any of their posts lately..

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
And not deep enough to go to one of the backups? Even for a token possession or two to try to rally? With your “deep” group of backups?

I figured my disgust would have subsided on this by now but it has actually amplified. Pitt admin should actually feel lucky that they still have enough fans who are passionate enough to still be pissed off by their garbage at this point…
Yup IM with ya. The more I think about this the more disgusting the situation is. It would be different if "The Jerk" had played her or rode the pine and paid his dues and was a true loyal pitt man But hes not a likable guy and sounds as smart as a box of rocks. Its just mind blowing.

Some guys are practice studs and crap the bed on gameday. That said, what I don't know is what part Cignetti plays in this mess.

No idea how plausible it is but is there a chance that a donor who is footing an NIL deal is having way too much influence over this?
CIgs is a huge factor IMO. The Jerk is one of is boys.........

It’s tempting to get further amped by something stupid the player or coach says in press conferences, in this case, Duz blurting out that he thinks the practices have been too wussy (guess he didn’t fix that last week).

But in the end, I don’t care what they say to Colon Dungflop in media room, what they do in practice, what this guy or that looked like in scrimmages when it is meaningless. Did the practices work? Did the team win games? Does it look like they can win more games? The resounding answer to all these are “No.” So whatever they are doing in practice, whatever speed, whatever intensity, whatever QB reps, it is a failure.

freakin boston man, they send us these two clowns and destroy our football season. i got to watch that stupid freakin sam adams, cousin from boston commercial every 5 seconds and that dumb accent gets stuck in my head..

it isnt terrible enough beer, they have to make it worse with terrible terrible commercials that run non-stop. and dont even get me started with these wack jobs in Boston using mayo instead of butter on lobster rolls, mayo, on lobster.

Get the hell out of here with your mayo.

Agree with everything you said. Its just dumbfounding to say the least that guys whose jobs are on the line are sticking with a 6th year senior who clearly awful and who has alienated the fan base with idiotic comments on booing.

Now if you listened to what Duzz said post game you may glean a bit of his rationale (even though I think its dumb to be kind)

He said something to the effect that "you guys want to change things at the first sign of adversity. It doesnt work that way.............its not fair to the player or the team"

Duzz has made a huge deal of the culture on the team and why kids stick around (ie they earn the right to start over the years of paying their Dues). So it could be hes promoted this pay your dues and you'll get your chance and is afraid to pull the plug too soon. I think its why you see guys like Collier, Temple etc starting and younger guys riding the pine. People crucified DW for his UNION RULEs but DUZZ is every bit as bad.
Some good points. But… The QB he is married to, for life and (especially) death do they part … is the total OPPOSITE of a “Pitt guy who paid his dues.” He chose NOT to be a Pitt guy … TWICE. He’s paid NO dues.

In fact Nick Patti exemplifies ALL you wrote above, and seemingly could have had another season here, and looked great winning a tough bowl game. But Duz ran him off.

Even so, he could go with Yarnell, if loyalty and dues are any part of it. A guy who won him a game in a really tough situation against a team that his Heisman finalist couldn’t beat.

I’m not looking to denigrate your point, just noting that if that if these things are his criteria to reward PT, he’s violating it 100% with sticking completely with Jurkovec to the bitter end.

It’s why I’m suggesting he’s mentally sick in this. Cue Animotion, because this is Obsession.

can't be that blind.
My thoughts exactly.

It’s tempting to get further amped by something stupid the player or coach says in press conferences, in this case, Duz blurting out that he thinks the practices have been too wussy (guess he didn’t fix that last week).

But in the end, I don’t care what they say to Colon Dungflop in media room, what they do in practice, what this guy or that looked like in scrimmages when it is meaningless. Did the practices work? Did the team win games? Does it look like they can win more games? The resounding answer to all these are “No.” So whatever they are doing in practice, whatever speed, whatever intensity, whatever QB reps, it is a failure.
Cig sidestepped questions regarding Jurk at camp by saying he has a grasp and makes all the reads — in practice. Lol.

I can quickly think of one big glaring contradiction to everything in your post here….Nick Patti. The part about sticking around jives with your scenario, but definitely not the part about paying your dues and you’ll get your chance.

Don’t see how the above helps the culture either, stick around and never get a chance, or in Patti’s case only once there is absolutely zero other options.

can't be that blind.
There were likely many signs throughout many practices. How else could you explain the play-calling during games.

What matters are results. In terms of production and performance in games.

For Phil and Pitt, the results have been putrid. Of course it’s not all on just the QB play. But he is the one guy that has the ball in his hands on every offensive play. And in the passing game he is the trigger man.

He makes the final decision where and when to throw the ball when he releases it. That part absolutely IS on him. And again, the results speak for themself and they have undoubtedly been very poor.
Of course it’s not all on just the QB play....any chance you can give us a percentage on what is on the QB play? Until I see an alternative I'm gonna personally leave it at about 94.78%.... If steady but not spectacular Pitt man non-mercenary Nick Patti is out there Pitt is 3-0 right now.

Last edited:
We've got to burn some sage to remove the legend of Nick Patti from this board. It was a great win in the bowl game, but we'd all be equally as frustrated and wtf'ing right now if he was the quarterback.
He likely would have been mediocre, or more likely, had gotten injured. But unless they’d brought Jurk in to relieve him, we’d be 3-0

Reactions: Pitt79

And this is what's hard to understand, if that's the case, you don't trust him to execute the pass plays, why would you limit yourself to running 90% of the time instead of trying one of the other QBs, the results couldn't be much worse.

He likely would have been mediocre, or more likely, had gotten injured. But unless they’d brought Jurk in to relieve him, we’d be 3-0
I agree, Patti wasn't talented, but I don't remember his play being as ugly as Jurk's

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT