ADVERTISEMENT

Jurkovec Interview on the Fan Today

Way to attack one of our players. All he needs to do is read defenses, not appease dudes on a message board attacking his speaking skills.
As an Eastern European,whose parents spoke in Slovak and English, I had difficulty in English and speech classes in high school and college. But, I excelled in math and science. I also started working in a gas station- garage as a 14 year old where I learned “ people skills”. I had a very busy and successful Oral and Maxillofacial practice for 33 years which allowed me to retire at age 64. My lack of command of the “ Kings Language” did not inhibited my surgical and anesthetic skills. I was board certified in surgery and anesthesia. Do not discount his athletic and leadership skills based on his command of the English language.

As an Eastern European,whose parents spoke in Slovak and English, I had difficulty in English and speech classes in high school and college. But, I excelled in math and science. I also started working in a gas station- garage as a 14 year old where I learned “ people skills”. I had a very busy and successful Oral and Maxillofacial practice for 33 years which allowed me to retire at age 64. My lack of command of the “ Kings Language” did not inhibited my surgical and anesthetic skills. I was board certified in surgery and anesthesia. Do not discount his athletic and leadership skills based on his command of the English language.
Me neither, just his recent playing history for me , 2022 at 23 years of age, and that’s why I say, not very good

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
One thing I found interesting is that he basically confirmed what we already knew. The Cignetti playbook is complex. The plays are long. The reads aren't easy. Not all college players can succeed in this system because of those things. Personally, I'd rather simplify it a bit at this level.

From that 15 second sound bite you got that Cigs' offense is complex and the reads aren't easy?

He never mentioned "reads." He mentioned the play calls are long but are quite normal for the offense. But, let's talk about passing reads in any scheme.

1 step - quick screen game - usually no read at all. Predesigned run by throwing the ball.

3 step - quick game - slant/arrow, stick, fade/out. Easy 1 side reads, where it's a either/or decision based upon 1 defender - usually the flat defender.

5/7 step drop - here is where you're getting your progression reads where reading the triangle such as Shallow Cross, Mesh, Dagger, etc...

PAP - 5 step/7 drop - simple reads based upon 1 defender - downfield shots -or- boot/waggle type throws that are typically read from shallow to deep - simple.

RPO - simple reads but often easier said then done.

Outside of classic 5/7 step dropback - I'm not sure how anyone can say Cig's or any pro-style scheme is that complex. The 5/7 step stuff can get complex for sure - especially at the pro-level. But, I don't care if you're running Leach's stuff or running Harbaugh's stuff. Quick game is quick game. Play action is play action.

IMO - the hardest thing about Cig's system are the receivers have to learn what the other receivers are doing. You can't be an "X" and just learn "X". You have to know what the Z/Y/TB are doing too because Cigs is going to line you up everywhere.

The only thing I got from the interview was that he chose PITT because he felt he did very well under Cigs' tutelage and scheme.

From that 15 second sound bite you got that Cigs' offense is complex and the reads aren't easy?

He never mentioned "reads." He mentioned the play calls are long but are quite normal for the offense. But, let's talk about passing reads in any scheme.

1 step - quick screen game - usually no read at all. Predesigned run by throwing the ball.

3 step - quick game - slant/arrow, stick, fade/out. Easy 1 side reads, where it's a either/or decision based upon 1 defender - usually the flat defender.

5/7 step drop - here is where you're getting your progression reads where reading the triangle such as Shallow Cross, Mesh, Dagger, etc...

PAP - 5 step/7 drop - simple reads based upon 1 defender - downfield shots -or- boot/waggle type throws that are typically read from shallow to deep - simple.

RPO - simple reads but often easier said then done.

Outside of classic 5/7 step dropback - I'm not sure how anyone can say Cig's or any pro-style scheme is that complex. The 5/7 step stuff can get complex for sure - especially at the pro-level. But, I don't care if you're running Leach's stuff or running Harbaugh's stuff. Quick game is quick game. Play action is play action.

IMO - the hardest thing about Cig's system are the receivers have to learn what the other receivers are doing. You can't be an "X" and just learn "X". You have to know what the Z/Y/TB are doing too because Cigs is going to line you up everywhere.

The only thing I got from the interview was that he chose PITT because he felt he did very well under Cigs' tutelage and scheme.
Let’s pray we can be as dominant as the 2021 BC Eagles

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Fraud Graham was well rehearsed and articulate in speaking about the program, football, etc. , just sayin.

Reactions: Celtsfan
My thoughts:
8804533.gif

One thing for sue is with Dorin and Bostick on the Pitt payroll we won't ever get public scrutiny of the Cignetti offense.

Hope it all works out for Phil and FCJ this year.

I think you are overrating the intelligence it takes to learn a playbook. You ever listen to most football coaches talk? Do Pat Narduzzi or Dabo Swinney sound like they were honors students? These are the geniuses that design the playbooks.

He isn't eloquent, but HCPN is WAY smarter than a lot her get.

I'm not sold on Jurkovec at all, but he and Veilleux as a package is certainly sufficient. I imagine it'll be a lot better than the Slovis/Patti competition.

Need to find them some receiver help. We didn't do Slovis any favors there this past season.
I just think it’s way that people on here are going crazy over a guy who’s career stat line is significantly worse than tino.

I just think that cignetti and what he does as an OC isn’t good

Reactions: cashisking884
Exactly. He should really be coming in already knowing the playbook. Isn’t that the point of Pitt bringing him in? It’s also why I said they shouldn’t have a pretend competition. Unless another QB blows them away, commit to Jurkovec and allow him to develop timing and chemistry with the 1s all offseason. It’ll pay off Week 1.

I think he has a good deep ball but his short and intermediate throws leave a lot to be desired. Also, the injury history is a concern so QB2 has to be ready.
What if the playbook just sucks?

Reactions: cashisking884
One thing I found interesting is that he basically confirmed what we already knew. The Cignetti playbook is complex. The plays are long. The reads aren't easy. Not all college players can succeed in this system because of those things. Personally, I'd rather simplify it a bit at this level.

Yep. There’s just no argument for a FCJ offense at the college level.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
I’m not sure I appreciate his stance on partying.

Reminded me of these guys.

Yep. There’s just no argument for a FCJ offense at the college level.

Really?

digital_FA_bison_event_20193.jpg

And, if your argument is that NDSU's relevance doesn't translate to FBS, how come they're 9-3 vs. FBS teams?

If the argument is they're relevant because somehow they out recruit everyone in FCS, explain to me how they convince kids to come to Fargo, North Dakota over all of the other recruiting hotbeds in the South and Atlantic Coast areas?

Cig's RPO (RUN POWER OFTEN) system translates to every level.

Really?

digital_FA_bison_event_20193.jpg

And, if your argument is that NDSU's relevance doesn't translate to FBS, how come they're 9-3 vs. FBS teams?

If the argument is they're relevant because somehow they out recruit everyone in FCS, explain to me how they convince kids to come to Fargo, North Dakota over all of the other recruiting hotbeds in the South and Atlantic Coast areas?

Cig's RPO (RUN POWER OFTEN) system translates to every level.

“Here’s this FCS team that runs something kinda similar, so lets ignore FCJ’s lack of success.”

“Here’s this FCS team that runs something kinda similar, so lets ignore FCJ’s lack of success.”
This dude is clueless. He thinks Pitt ran a similar offense to Alabama this year.

NDst is much more talented than most teams they play.

This guy has to be cigs cousin or something

I don't know why you guys are complaining about his interview. When I played in college most of the guys on the team probably should have been arrested. They were tough/mean SOBs not polished in public speaking. They loved playing the game of football. The coaches knew what kind of player they were bringing in you had to be aggressive. The guys got by in the clasroom. Hope Jurkovec has a great year at Pitt.

I don't know why you guys are complaining about his interview. When I played in college most of the guys on the team probably should have been arrested. They were tough/mean SOBs not polished in public speaking. They loved playing the game of football. The coaches knew what kind of player they were bringing in you had to be aggressive. The guys got by in the clasroom. Hope Jurkovec has a great year at Pitt.
His interview is not my issue, his past college career injuries etc is the main concern. He might be worse than Slowvis

Our fan base is full of dolts.

Reactions: Parkview57
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT