ADVERTISEMENT

Who Heard Capel interview on the Fan today?

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Another in the line of great great interviews by Jeff.

I won’t post all the nuggets now as I will throughout the evening. But here goes:

Said that Pitt had the best backcourt in the ACC as the season ended. Obviously felt slighted by the committee. Therefore he hasn’t watched any of the tourney at all…except to watch Northwestern for a few minutes vs FAU to support his best friend. He said it was tough because respectfully he knows Pitt was a better team than both of them this year.

Other than that he said he turned on the last few minutes of the A10 championship because he was so happy for Keith Dambrot that he wanted to see him celebrate with everything he and his family have been through.

(I get the sentiment about Keith and Jeff, but listening to both guys speak glowingly of each other over the past two weeks, it really sounds like things between them was overblown or in the very least patched up).

I’ll add later what he said about his backcourt returning for next year, as well as things he said about their schedule, and a little nugget about the first concert he ever went to.

Said that the only competition for Bub will be the NBA otherwise he expects him to come back and be one of the best in the country. Thinks he also has another growth spurt in him. He met with Bub and his family and shared his Blake Griffin story. He told them that he will use his network to get info they need to make a decision. He said he won’t give an opinion to them unless they ask. Said that he told Griffin that he’d probably be the #2 pick. Griffin deliberated for a week, came back to JC and told him he’s staying for another year because he’s not ready to be a pro. If Bub goes he’s not a kid anymore. And that’s a choice he has to make for himself.

Also said that if he comes back…we are going to be really really good.

Yeah it was a great interview. Really has me excited. Hoping things don't get stupid, but some of the more notorious bluebloods are out (Texas, UK, Auburn, Tennessee) so if we aren't hearing anything......

I have heard some things too. Mostly the same as shared by Matt on the pay board.

Reactions: Ski11585
Another in the line of great great interviews by Jeff.

I won’t post all the nuggets now as I will throughout the evening. But here goes:

Said that Pitt had the best backcourt in the ACC as the season ended. Obviously felt slighted by the committee. Therefore he hasn’t watched any of the tourney at all…except to watch Northwestern for a few minutes vs FAU to support his best friend. He said it was tough because respectfully he knows Pitt was a better team than both of them this year.

Other than that he said he turned on the last few minutes of the A10 championship because he was so happy for Keith Dambrot that he wanted to see him celebrate with everything he and his family have been through.

(I get the sentiment about Keith and Jeff, but listening to both guys speak glowingly of each other over the past two weeks, it really sounds like things between them was overblown or in the very least patched up).

I’ll add later what he said about his backcourt returning for next year, as well as things he said about their schedule, and a little nugget about the first concert he ever went to.

FAU wasnt good. Funny thing is if Purdue beats 16th seed, FDU, then FAU doesnt make this tournament because they lose to Purdue 2nd Round and they dont get games with Arizona and Texas A&M (their only 2 wins over the field). Beating a 3 and 4 in the regionals was nice but overall, they beat a 16, 8, 4, and 3. Not the most difficult path. I dont see how you can lose to a 20 loss team the day before the tournament to potentially give you 3 Q4 losses and still get in because you beat Az and A&M in Nov

Reactions: Pittnerski
PSN has some more here. I think it's notable to remind that Bub is still very young. It could be a reason for him to stay. There's more to it than just the talent level. He still may need time to grow and mature before taking the leap.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
PSN has some more here. I think it's notable to remind that Bub is still very young. It could be a reason for him to stay. There's more to it than just the talent level. He still may need time to grow and mature before taking the leap.

Being a kid one more year while making 500K or more isnt such a bad gig. Would make more in the NBA and get to that 2nd contract quicker but how much is it worth being a kid one more year and playing in March Madness? Lowe, Bub, Leggett are a darkhorse Final Four contender if we get a decent big

Reactions: PittMBA
Worth noting that Capel mentioned Dambrot 100% unprompted. So it sounded genuine.
I’ve heard both coaches speak about each other recently and, you’re right, both sounded incredibly genuine. I realize that bull 💩- ing is part of the job…but they have me questioning what people say about their relationship.

Reactions: Millerton24
First concert Capel ever went to was as a child with Wake Forest pkayers when his Dad worked there. He saw Run DMC, LL Cool J, Eric B and Rakim, whodini, public enemy and Doug e fresh.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
First concert Capel ever went to was as a child with Wake Forest pkayers when his Dad worked there. He saw Run DMC, LL Cool J, Eric B and Rakim, whodini, public enemy and Doug e fresh.
That's an incredible lineup for your first show

Also said that he thought he was doing everything right when building the schedule but ended up wrong. Said what we all know, WV imploded over the summer and the 4th place SEC team, as well as OSU didn’t have good years.

I’m calling bull shit on that line up.
1987 Def Jam Summer Tour - June 19, 1987 Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, NC - LL Cool J (supported by Whodini, Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew, Eric B. & Rakim & Public Enemy)

Timeline works. No Run DMC…but goddamn a Juneteenth concert with that lineup sounds incredible lol

Reactions: 121rum
I’ve heard both coaches speak about each other recently and, you’re right, both sounded incredibly genuine. I realize that bull 💩- ing is part of the job…but they have me questioning what people say about their relationship.
Got the same feeling when I heard him on Pat Bostick’s show on Saturday.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Listened to it and he didnt sound 100% confident that Lowe & Leggett will be back. He also didnt sound like they were leaving but I got the impression he knows they are listening to offers.

Listened to it and he didnt sound 100% confident that Lowe & Leggett will be back. He also didnt sound like they were leaving but I got the impression he knows they are listening to offers.
Unfortunately college Bb is a business now with no long term contracts.

Unfortunately college Bb is a business now with no long term contracts.

Yea, they all have 1 year contracts and are free agents every year but man does that suck as a fan. I hope we can match whatever Lowe and Leggett are offered. Can you imagine if we lost all 3? That's probably just as likely as returning all 3. I cant wait until the players become employees and are given 3-4 year contracts out of HS. Then there will be no such thing as transferring.

Yea, they all have 1 year contracts and are free agents every year but man does that suck as a fan. I hope we can match whatever Lowe and Leggett are offered. Can you imagine if we lost all 3? That's probably just as likely as returning all 3. I cant wait until the players become employees and are given 3-4 year contracts out of HS. Then there will be no such thing as transferring.
Saying it sucks is an understatement. The whole landscape of college basketball has become a sad joke.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
One other thing, Capel said something like they knew they had 2 freshmen guards that would be good but would take time. Then he said they thought they had another one (ie Dior). This implies what I've been saying all along. Dior was cleared and back as a full member of the team until his "case" was reopened by the new Pitt administration.

Said that the only competition for Bub will be the NBA otherwise he expects him to come back and be one of the best in the country. Thinks he also has another growth spurt in him. He met with Bub and his family and shared his Blake Griffin story. He told them that he will use his network to get info they need to make a decision. He said he won’t give an opinion to them unless they ask. Said that he told Griffin that he’d probably be the #2 pick. Griffin deliberated for a week, came back to JC and told him he’s staying for another year because he’s not ready to be a pro. If Bub goes he’s not a kid anymore. And that’s a choice he has to make for himself.

Also said that if he comes back…we are going to be really really good.
If Bub comes back to Pitt in November with a 3 point shot, he can write his own contract in 2025.

Reactions: 121rum
One other thing, Capel said something like they knew they had 2 freshmen guards that would be good but would take time. Then he said they thought they had another one (ie Dior). This implies what I've been saying all along. Dior was cleared and back as a full member of the team until his "case" was reopened by the new Pitt administration.
Hmm. No. I think a different department in the administration still had to clear him that had zero to do with the new admin. Pretty sure many have proven this out.

Either way, hope he figures it out. He went JUCO because no one would touch him at least last year. If it was a nothing burger, someone would've taken a shot. Heck, I think even high quality JUCO programs passed on him too.

Except that was debunked.

If Florida Atlantic can retain Davis and Goldin, we sure as heck better not be losing anybody we don't want to lose to the portal.

Yea, I was really surprised they retained those guys. FAU is a newish school without a lot of alumni or rich alumni, and a small fanbase. How could they have paid well into the 6 figures for those 2? I wonder if sometimes this type of stuff is the school saying "here coach, we'll give you an extra million to spend on anything you want (cough, players, cough).

If Lowe and Leggett go to a blue blood then it would suck but I could understand that appeal. If they go to Auburn or Mississippi for more money then that aint great.

Yea, I was really surprised they retained those guys. FAU is a newish school without a lot of alumni or rich alumni, and a small fanbase. How could they have paid well into the 6 figures for those 2? I wonder if sometimes this type of stuff is the school saying "here coach, we'll give you an extra million to spend on anything you want (cough, players, cough).

If Lowe and Leggett go to a blue blood then it would suck but I could understand that appeal. If they go to Auburn or Mississippi for more money then that aint great.
Fellas there s a lot of money in Boca .

I looked into getting tickets to their games , season tickets come with a considerable donation and individual tickets were pricey.

I looked into getting tickets to their games , season tickets come with a considerable donation and individual tickets were pricey.

They arent FAU fans though? Are retirees from Colgate living in Boca buying players for FAU?

The one with the red and black colors on the floor and throughout?

Oh, I forgot about that one. Still saying black is a neutral color that a lot of teams use. PT and NH are red and white. White isnt a color used on basketball courts. The only one I could remember was the old Portland Trailblazer court. They may use some black but its not a school color. When I think red and black teams, its EF, Charleroi, Southmoreland.

And they are now one of the largest universities in Florida.

And they are now one of the largest universities in Florida.

All of the Florida universities are huge because they dont have many smaller D2/D3 schools down there. Its a new population so they didnt have colleges sprouting up in the 1800s or early to mid 1900s. FAU only has 204K alumni, most of them young, and only a few of them rich rich. Its hard to believe they had a few donors drop $1 million on their basketball roster.

Did they actually sell that many for a game? The article I read said it seats 2300 plus 750 standing room on the overlook.

Well I didn't count the tickets myself, but they announced that number as the attendance for all of their games. So I'm guessing that's what a standing room sellout means for them at this point.

All of the Florida universities are huge because they dont have many smaller D2/D3 schools down there. Its a new population so they didnt have colleges sprouting up in the 1800s or early to mid 1900s. FAU only has 204K alumni, most of them young, and only a few of them rich rich. Its hard to believe they had a few donors drop $1 million on their basketball roster.
All it takes is 1 or 2 guys to decide they want to fund a schools NIL . Think people giving 50-100 bucks can do it ?

Private golf courses down here have initiation fees ranging from 100k-500k and they’re full . There’s so much more money down here than in Pgh it’s ridiculous .

For Pitt to be the team we’d all like they need to find a few deep pocket guys who don’t know what to do with their money .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT