ADVERTISEMENT

Just a reminder

Well he did in the first half. That was obvious. But I am sure you made lots of money placing bets on Pitt to win during halftime
Uh he was off a bit and the offense overall was out of sync. Saying he’s not playing well is not the same as saying he stinks.

Uh he was off a bit and the offense overall was out of sync. Saying he’s not playing well is not the same as saying he stinks.
I don’t think many people were saying he stinks. But after that first half, it’s difficult to feel much confidence

I don’t think there was anything really ridiculous today, which was very nice.

Other games, you are absolutely correct
You obviously didn't read the barrage of posts from Werewolf. There were other posters who posted 1 or 2 really bad things, like concluding a 2-win season. But Werewolf was out of control.

Reactions: FireballZ
You obviously didn't read the barrage of posts from Werewolf. There were other posters who posted 1 or 2 really bad things, like concluding a 2-win season. But Werewolf was out of control.
1 or 2 posters is not so bad. It was so ridiculous today.

Ok, one person said this and you are making a huge deal about it. I’ll tell you what I tell my wife often… calm down.
I’m just enjoying trolling him.

As I said in another post. I’m glad I didn’t post in game. I’d have embarrassed myself as well.

I would have pulled him at halftime.
I would have pulled him in after the clueless first quarter. Yarnell wins this game aa lot easier/sooner. I think Pitt has another QB-OC love affair going. I am not saying Holstein is not the guy or does not have a greater up-side, but if he is the guy, he should be able to handle a change when he is doing poorly. Just heaving the ball deep on four plays in 1st quarter, he was in over his head. Pitt won in spite of his poor play, even at the last minute, messing around when there was no off side call, you have to be sure in that moment, just throw it away.

I would have pulled him in after the clueless first quarter. Yarnell wins this game aa lot easier/sooner. I think Pitt has another QB-OC love affair going. I am not saying Holstein is not the guy or does not have a greater up-side, but if he is the guy, he should be able to handle a change when he is doing poorly. Just heaving the ball deep on four plays in 1st quarter, he was in over his head. Pitt won in spite of his poor play, even at the last minute, messing around when there was no off side call, you have to be sure in that moment, just throw it away.

Over the last 20 minutes of the game Holstein was 11-13 for 201 yards, 3 tds, 0 ints, and gained 42 yards on six carries (including the sack he took).

The chances that Yarnell would have come anywhere close to that kind of production is really, really small.

I am not saying Holstein is not the guy or does not have a greater up-side, but if he is the guy, he should be able to handle a change when he is doing poorly. Just heaving the ball deep on four plays in 1st quarter, he was in over his head.
The chances that Yarnell would have come anywhere close to that kind of production is really, really small.
Agreed, but Yarnell would not have had to. Holstein's play the first half resulted in six points, speaking of chances, chances are Yarnell would have doubled the 6 point production, with Reid in the backfield.

At this point it's pretty obvious that the best thing Yarnell has going for him is that he's the backup, so clearly he would always play better than the starter if they would just give him a chance.

Holstein was awful for 2-1/2 quarters. That doesn't mean that Yarnell is the answer.

At this point it's pretty obvious that the best thing Yarnell has going for him is that he's the backup
C'mon, you know that is selling the kid short, he has had some success in a lousy system :

"Starting the final two contests of the year (Boston College and at Duke)...completed 41-of-62 passes (66%) for 595 yards with four touchdowns and one interception on the year...was a catalyst in Pitt's 24-16 win over Boston College, accounting for 231 total yards and two touchdowns…threw for 207 yards and a TD on 11-of-19 passing…his four-yard touchdown run gave Pitt a 10-3 lead with 9:07 left in the second quarter…for the game, he netted 24 yards on five carries (both career highs) with the TD…Pitt seized a 17-13 lead with 7:22 left in the third when Yarnell connected with Bub Means on a 61-yard touchdown pass and the Panthers would not surrender the lead for the rest of the contest…in the regular-season finale at Duke, threw for 265 yards on 25-of-35 passing with one touchdown and one INT…his yardage, attempts, completions and TD pass total all marked career highs."

I am not saying Holstein is not the guy or does not have a greater up-side, but if he is the guy, he should be able to handle a change when he is doing poorly. Just heaving the ball deep on four plays in 1st quarter, he was in over his head.

Agreed, but Yarnell would not have had to. Holstein's play the first half resulted in six points, speaking of chances, chances are Yarnell would have doubled the 6 point production, with Reid in the backfield.
lol. Keep doubling down on stupid. He’s so in over his head he threw for over three hundred yards and lead the team back to a miraculous comeback.

So when a qb has a bad first half he’s in over his head. lol

C'mon, you know that is selling the kid short, he has had some success in a lousy system :

"Starting the final two contests of the year (Boston College and at Duke)...completed 41-of-62 passes (66%) for 595 yards with four touchdowns and one interception on the year...was a catalyst in Pitt's 24-16 win over Boston College, accounting for 231 total yards and two touchdowns…threw for 207 yards and a TD on 11-of-19 passing…his four-yard touchdown run gave Pitt a 10-3 lead with 9:07 left in the second quarter…for the game, he netted 24 yards on five carries (both career highs) with the TD…Pitt seized a 17-13 lead with 7:22 left in the third when Yarnell connected with Bub Means on a 61-yard touchdown pass and the Panthers would not surrender the lead for the rest of the contest…in the regular-season finale at Duke, threw for 265 yards on 25-of-35 passing with one touchdown and one INT…his yardage, attempts, completions and TD pass total all marked career highs."
Ok Mr Yarnell

With all due respect. It was the kids 2nd career start. Hopefully he will learn and grow from his mistakes.

With all due respect. It was the kids 2nd career start. Hopefully he will learn and grow from his mistakes
Thank you.
Yes, he will learn. I will not, have not, said Holstein is in any way not a good solid player, and very possibly the future. But coming off 3-9 Pitt must win games against teams they match up well against. Once he struggled in the first quarter, Yarnell should have been inserted and got things going , with Reid running so well no doubt things would have settled and Pitt score more than six points. But losing a game because the moment is too big for the kid because "he is in his 2nd start" is just a recipe for another poor season. I am not crucifying the kid at all, but there was a player on the bench that likely would help the team if he had gotten a possession or two in that poor 1st half. I am not the crazy one here, its the Holstein before the team guys, IMO.

The season is early. It was a great comeback and very improbable. Lots of Cincy mistakes (Delay of game?) helped get this win. And Sauls is phenomenal.

Let's not start thinking that we're all of a sudden a winning program. I saw a lot of indications that we just don't have players at key positions. Remember, this was Cincy, a middle of the pack of worse Big 12 team. They aren't good. But these are the teams we need to beat, so that's a win. We're going to need what we showed in the 4th quarter today to approach a winning season this year. Especially on defense.

But this is just my opinion. I don't get too high with wins or too low with losses. Just not worth it.

Reactions: Parkview57
Why? Fans are allowed to be frustrated and criticize their team if they want to. After last year’s QB play, I think after that first half performance a lot of people had the ‘here we go again’ feeling and that’s ok. He’s young and is going to make mistakes, but that comeback and his second half performance was awesome.

Thank you.
Yes, he will learn. I will not, have not, said Holstein is in any way not a good solid player, and very possibly the future. But coming off 3-9 Pitt must win games against teams they match up well against. Once he struggled in the first quarter, Yarnell should have been inserted and got things going , with Reid running so well no doubt things would have settled and Pitt score more than six points. But losing a game because the moment is too big for the kid because "he is in his 2nd start" is just a recipe for another poor season. I am not crucifying the kid at all, but there was a player on the bench that likely would help the team if he had gotten a possession or two in that poor 1st half. I am not the crazy one here, its the Holstein before the team guys, IMO.

I don't disagree fully with your post, but there's a counter argument that you're trying to develop your QB. He needs this type of experience to get better. He needs to play through some of this, even if you and I are calling for Nate.

I also don't think Bell did him any favors in the first half. Thought he called a poor half, and should have run the ball a lot more. I guess the OC is learning too.

Thankfully Eli and the defense responded. Hopefully it carries into WVU, because things are going to get tougher.

Reactions: pittbb80
Thank you.
Did you even notice that Holstein led Pitt to a win? How is that Holstein before Pitt?

Reactions: pittbb80
Why? Fans are allowed to be frustrated and criticize their team if they want to. After last year’s QB play, I think after that first half performance a lot of people had the ‘here we go again’ feeling and that’s ok. He’s young and is going to make mistakes, but that comeback and his second half performance was awesome.
Because you look stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT