ADVERTISEMENT

Just another stupid "sportsmanship" rule gets broken and then an opponent acts like a baby...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
What more can be said then that about the Maple Leafs Morgan Rielly cross-checks a defenseless opponent (Ottawa Senators, Ridley Greig) after that opponent scores an empty net goal. WHY??? If Rielly was upset about how the goal was scored, perhaps he and his Maple Leaf teammates should have played better during the game and prevented the situation from ever occurring. I can guarantee you, if Toronto would have scored a goal at that same point in time, they'd be jumping up and down and high fiving each other along the bench. Rielly's behavior was uncalled for and dangerous and he should be fined and suspended for it. All the guy did was wind up and shoot the puck into the empty net instead of just tapping it in. He did nothing wrong and Rielly did.
This is very similar as to when a MLB pitcher for gets upset because a player stands and looks at his HR or runs to slow around the bases for the pitcher's liking after hitting a HR. Put your big boy pants on and grow up. If you don't want to see a batter do that kind of stuff, become a better pitcher so he doesn't hit the HR.
May I add, didn't the NO Saints and Jameis Winston run a play that allowed a teammate to score a late, meaningless TD for Jamal Williams. That caused issues for then Falcons HC (now Steelers OC) Arthur Smith. Hey Arthur, have your team ready to play to the final whistle. Sports fans (especially Pittsburgh sports fans) got a kick out of Kenny Pickett's "fake slide" and Dan Marino's "fake spike", there really is no difference.

What more can be said then that about the Maple Leafs Morgan Rielly cross-checks a defenseless opponent (Ottawa Senators, Ridley Greig) after that opponent scores an empty net goal. WHY??? If Rielly was upset about how the goal was scored, perhaps he and his Maple Leaf teammates should have played better during the game and prevented the situation from ever occurring. I can guarantee you, if Toronto would have scored a goal at that same point in time, they'd be jumping up and down and high fiving each other along the bench. Rielly's behavior was uncalled for and dangerous and he should be fined and suspended for it. All the guy did was wind up and shoot the puck into the empty net instead of just tapping it in. He did nothing wrong and Rielly did.
This is very similar as to when a MLB pitcher for gets upset because a player stands and looks at his HR or runs to slow around the bases for the pitcher's liking after hitting a HR. Put your big boy pants on and grow up. If you don't want to see a batter do that kind of stuff, become a better pitcher so he doesn't hit the HR.
May I add, didn't the NO Saints and Jameis Winston run a play that allowed a teammate to score a late, meaningless TD for Jamal Williams. That caused issues for then Falcons HC (now Steelers OC) Arthur Smith. Hey Arthur, have your team ready to play to the final whistle. Sports fans (especially Pittsburgh sports fans) got a kick out of Kenny Pickett's "fake slide" and Dan Marino's "fake spike", there really is no difference.
I see no problem with either player. You take a slapper into the empty net you are going to get roughed up. Do it and accept the consequences. Roughing up a guy who does that it what you do.

I'd expect this in beer league. I would 100% go after a guy who takes a slapper into an open net. But to be fair, in my leagues they probably miss.

Reactions: 303vND and CCHS82
If you have an easy goal like that, do what you want. The slap shot was awesome from an entertainment point of view. Getting cross checked in the head because you score a goal? Get out of here with that. Rielly should get a massive suspension for that. Garbage move.

These types of sportsmanship rules have been in the games as long as they’ve existed. You want to be a bad sport and show up your opponent? Then they are also free to return some bad sportsmanship in your direction.

The NHL offered him the chance at an in person hearing on the matter. They only do that when they are considering a suspension of six games or longer.
He's going to get suspended big time, and he should. Like a pitcher throwing a beanball.
It's a balance. Slapshot into open net--get ass kicked. Cross-check the open net slapshooter--get suspended. There's a value equation there.

I see no problem with the slap shot. To me it's no big deal. What about all these dances guys do after scoring a touchdown? No one is going up and sucker punching them. I keep hearing all these hockey people defending the hit, but the big problem is the sport itself. The sport is poorly managed and will soon (if not already) be passed up by MLS. I think hockey is the best sport to attend and have been lucky enough to go to Stanley Cup final games and the excitement is unmatched. I just wish the dirty hits would be eliminated.

Reactions: Burgh15
I see no problem with the slap shot. To me it's no big deal. What about all these dances guys do after scoring a touchdown? No one is going up and sucker punching them. I keep hearing all these hockey people defending the hit, but the big problem is the sport itself. The sport is poorly managed and will soon (if not already) be passed up by MLS. I think hockey is the best sport to attend and have been lucky enough to go to Stanley Cup final games and the excitement is unmatched. I just wish the dirty hits would be eliminated.
I'd blow those dancing guys up too. I just like to hit people. You get in less trouble if there is some kind of justification for it (particularly if the person deserves it).

(particularly if the person deserves it).

s1200_OgUzsnx.jpg

Reactions: USN_Panther
I see no problem with either player. You take a slapper into the empty net you are going to get roughed up. Do it and accept the consequences. Roughing up a guy who does that it what you do.

I'd expect this in beer league. I would 100% go after a guy who takes a slapper into an open net. But to be fair, in my leagues they probably miss.
Why? Is a "slapper" an act of disrespect? I think not and for a guy to literally go after the guy for that is classless.

These types of sportsmanship rules have been in the games as long as they’ve existed. You want to be a bad sport and show up your opponent? Then they are also free to return some bad sportsmanship in your direction.
Showing up your opponent because you took a slap shot into an empty net? Sorry, but I don't see that one.

Showing up your opponent because you took a slap shot into an empty net? Sorry, but I don't see that one.
Not any different than stealing a base in the 9th when your team is up by 7. Or shooting a 3 in the final 30 seconds when you're up by 10 and you're given the space to run the clock.

Sure the dude overreacted and could have made his point without going for the head, but you have to expect something headed your way when you act like that. Morgan Reilly isn't some goon, he's a top defenseman and 11-year veteran that's never faced disciplinary action.

If you have an easy goal like that, do what you want. The slap shot was awesome from an entertainment point of view. Getting cross checked in the head because you score a goal? Get out of here with that. Rielly should get a massive suspension for that. Garbage move.
You are incorrect. That is “what you do “ in hockey. Of course, that is why so many people do not watch hockey(like me) because of the “fighting” mentality. Just plain stupid! I love to watch hockey in the Olympics since there is not all the cheap shots and fighting.

just watched it. a BS move on the empty net. guy should have just started swinging at him though, not used the stick to the head..

Reactions: CCHS82
Sticking someone in the head because they embarrassed you a little bit is not even close to a proportional response.

Stuff like that is borderline criminal. It's way outside the bounds of the rules, both written and unwritten. And until the NHL quits supporting the goons and their goon behavior, their league is never going to get mass appeal.

Sticking someone in the head because they embarrassed you a little bit is not even close to a proportional response.

Stuff like that is borderline criminal. It's way outside the bounds of the rules, both written and unwritten. And until the NHL quits supporting the goons and their goon behavior, their league is never going to get mass appeal.
i like hockey but even if they "clean" up stuff like this, it's not going to all of a sudden be appealing to mainstream US Sports fans..

it's a niche sport in the US and always will be.

Not any different than stealing a base in the 9th when your team is up by 7. Or shooting a 3 in the final 30 seconds when you're up by 10 and you're given the space to run the clock.

Sure the dude overreacted and could have made his point without going for the head, but you have to expect something headed your way when you act like that. Morgan Reilly isn't some goon, he's a top defenseman and 11-year veteran that's never faced disciplinary action.
IDK enough about hockey culture to comment on this specific situation. But stealing a base in the 9th is entirely valid and teams have come back from more than seven runs in an inning. Your catcher can still try to throw them out, and should. I think the only things that cross a line is mocking your opponent by doing something that's outside of performing the routine skills of the game (e.g. grabbing your junk or making a choke sign at them or whatever) in which case you have moved into "F around and find out" mode.

I don't like cocky celebrations at all, but maybe they should finally write the unwritten rules so everyone knows how to react to these things.

Watch a homerun... You get a 95 mph fastball in the head.

Take a slapshot into an empty net... Cross check to the face.

Hang on the rim... Technical foul (well that one's already written, I guess).

Exit your vehicle... Tony Stewart gets to kill you.

Hockey and baseball players are the most sensitive people on the planet. There's so many unwritten rules in both sports that these guys treat like life and death.

Reactions: pittdan77
IDK enough about hockey culture to comment on this specific situation. But stealing a base in the 9th is entirely valid and teams have come back from more than seven runs in an inning. Your catcher can still try to throw them out, and should. I think the only things that cross a line is mocking your opponent by doing something that's outside of performing the routine skills of the game (e.g. grabbing your junk or making a choke sign at them or whatever) in which case you have moved into "F around and find out" mode.
Stealing bases in the final innings when up or down by a large margin will likely get you or the next batter beaned. At very least you're going to get called out by players and managers from both teams. Benches have cleared over this. It doesn't happened often, because you just don't see it.

Yeah, the "unwritten rule" stuff is lame but both leagues seem to not mind when players act out so it continues.
baseball seems to take it to annoying limits, the unwritten rules stuff. at least hockey takes care of it instantly, with stuff like this. you break a rule, boom, stick to head seconds later.

Baseball is gay about it. they'll wait two innings and then the pitcher will throw at a completely different player (the star player) back. Then everyone jogs out to the mound and instantly grabs each other while one or two people act really mad.. it's so pathetic, 99% of baseball fights, like to the point where i dont even know why the relief pitchers even bother leaving the outfield bull pen..

that's one thing you got to give hockey their credit too. you screw up, you have seconds to protect yourself cause your a wanted man..

baseball seems to take it to annoying limits, the unwritten rules stuff. at least hockey takes care of it instantly, with stuff like this. you break a rule, boom, stick to head seconds later.

Baseball is gay about it. they'll wait two innings and then the pitcher will throw at a completely different player (the star player) back. Then everyone jogs out to the mound and instantly grabs each other while one or two people act really mad.. it's so pathetic, 99% of baseball fights, like to the point where i dont even know why the relief pitchers even bother leaving the outfield bull pen..

that's one thing you got to give hockey their credit too. you screw up, you have seconds to protect yourself cause your a wanted man..
I get that about hockey but do average fans really want to see a guy take a stick to the head? Football has it's "rules" too but the league really goes out of its way to put an end to it quickly. Every sport has its unwritten rules but most sports put an end to the BS pretty quickly.

I get that about hockey but do average fans really want to see a guy take a stick to the head? Football has it's "rules" too but the league really goes out of its way to put an end to it quickly. Every sport has its unwritten rules but most sports put an end to the BS pretty quickly.
except baseball, which is my point. some of this crap goes on for a season.

something will happen in april then in july, when they play again, someone like McCutcheon will get beaned in the back by Aroldis Chapman with the reds because some other pirate hit a home run 4 months prior and didnt jog around the bases fast enough..

Reactions: pittdan77
except baseball, which is my point. some of this crap goes on for a season.

something will happen in april then in july, when they play again, someone like McCutcheon will get beaned in the back by Aroldis Chapman with the reds because some other pirate hit a home run 4 months prior and didnt jog around the bases fast enough..
Oh yeah, it's ridiculous.

I do have to ask you, why is doing any of the things that you suggested bad? Is there a rule book somewhere that states what you should and shouldn't do at a given point during a sporting event? What if I, as a base runner, is trying to steal as many bases as I can bases. Am I only allowed to steal a base when the other team feels it is okay? Sorry, if a player wants to steal a base in the situation you mentioned, cool. If the other team don't like it, throw him out.
Same thing applies to your basketball situation. What if I am a "marginal" player who seldom sees the court and I haven't scored a point all year. Coach puts me in the game and your telling me that I am doing something wrong if I take a shot that will have absolutely no effect on the outcome of the game. Why not?? As I said before, if the other team doesn't like it, play some defense and stop him from shooting.
Think about it for second. Pitt probably has over 100 players on its current roster. Do you think all of those players will ever get to step on the field during a "real" game? I don't. It is because of those 3rd and 4th string guys that if they get the chance to step onto the field, in a "real" game, (especially a QB), let him run your offense and throw the ball if you so choose.
We probably are going to have to agree to disagree on this subject.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT