ADVERTISEMENT

Just looking for some thoughts and opinions from others on this board regarding the following...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
I saw that Uber is now offering rides to teenagers between the ages of 13-17 with the consent of their parents.
To me, I think this is one of the most asinine things that a parent can do. You mean to tell me that you will let your son/daughter get into a car with a stranger? Uber can say all they want to about their safety precautions, but come on??
Uber's attempt to make some more money will end up costing them in the long run. It will be only a matter of time until some young teen goes missing, gets assaulted, gets raped or God forbid, gets killed. This country is so freaking messed up right now, there is just no way in hell that I allow my teenage daughter/son in a car with a stranger.
What do you guys think???

I saw that Uber is now offering rides to teenagers between the ages of 13-17 with the consent of their parents.
To me, I think this is one of the most asinine things that a parent can do. You mean to tell me that you will let your son/daughter get into a car with a stranger? Uber can say all they want to about their safety precautions, but come on??
Uber's attempt to make some more money will end up costing them in the long run. It will be only a matter of time until some young teen goes missing, gets assaulted, gets raped or God forbid, gets killed. This country is so freaking messed up right now, there is just no way in hell that I allow my teenage daughter/son in a car with a stranger.

Uber driver applications in Centre County have just hit a record high

Most of the people using this option probably have no other suitable transportation option; no car or someone available to give the teen a ride.

Some teens are already catching public transportation anyway. One may argue that Uber may be safer since they're only amongst one stranger and the uber is taking them straight to their destination. Also, the parent will be able to track the ride and will have all the information for the driver in the app.

Kids have been taking ubers for years now.
Much safer than getting in the car with their 17 year old friend with a new license.
And tracking devices are easily available. Phones and tracking are good precautions.
Teenagers used to hitch hike everywhere.
Really not many ways to fully protect anyone.
I'd like to see stats but my guess is Uber drivers are more susceptible to be victims than the customer. (Looked it up, it's close to even) depends on the type of crime as well.

I looked into a bit more it's pretty complicated but transparency and new policies of video, immediate ability to contact police will keep getting better, the more new tech and safe guards are added.
But no it's not completely safe by any means for either side.
Every aspect of the ride and driver screening will get better.
The guards taxis use should also be added.
Any time a teen gets in any car ... risk goes up. It's up to parents to use discretion.

Last edited:
Much safer than getting in the car with their 17 year old friend with a new license.
And tracking devices are easily available. Phones and tracking are good precautions.
I'd like to see stats but my guess is Uber drivers are more susceptible to be victims than the customer. (Looked it up, it's close to even) depends on the type of crime as well.

I looked into a bit more it's pretty complicated but transparency and new policies of video, immediate ability to contact police will keep getting better, the more new tech and safe guards are added.
Any time a teen gets in any car ... risk goes up. It's up to parents to use discretion.
Referencing Hitchhiking probably isn’t a great way to support this idea.

Most of the people using this option probably have no other suitable transportation option; no car or someone available to give the teen a ride.

Some teens are already catching public transportation anyway. One may argue that Uber may be safer since they're only amongst one stranger and the uber is taking them straight to their destination. Also, the parent will be able to track the ride and will have all the information for the driver in the app.
I don’t know how thorough the screening process for Uber drivers is/if there have been many recent incidents in the news, but yeah I personally feel safer taking an Uber than I do taking the metro living in the DC area. Obviously check the license plate of your driver and make sure it matches your app as I’ve heard of unmarked drivers targeting people. Most drivers I’ve gotten have been immigrants saving for school or looking to make extra money to help provide for their families.

I had someone basically threaten to rob me when I took the metro even around one of the safest parts of it during rush hour last year, though those types of incidents are probably fewer now with more people taking it and it’s felt better lately.

Actually, I think the issue is more the safety of the Uber drivers than the passengers. There are more examples of nefarious passengers harming Uber drivers than vice versa.
This was my thought also. I think the Uber drivers are more scared of these teens than the other way around. Many car robberies are being done by teens. Hear it on the news all the time, especially with guns so easily accessible in the South. Uber drivers are being carjacked daily.

So you cancel an Uber before it gets to you. They will show you a pic of the driver usually. So would I be biased and cancel an older guy picking up my daughter until a female driver accepts, yep. The risk is likely low, but gives a little more control…

Reactions: Drew1208
Actually, I think the issue is more the safety of the Uber drivers than the passengers. There are more examples of nefarious passengers harming Uber drivers than vice versa.
I've been digging into this all morning, it's very close between the driver and the rider who is victimized.

My trouble is nailing down a certain %.

There were 7,600,000,000 billion rides in 2022.
I did an extreme conservative estimate...I upped the total number of crimes committed.
So I upped it to 7,000 total victims.
My issue is I can't quite calculate what % 7.6 billion rides by 7,000 crimes would be.
But the answer is very very low amount of crimes per ride.

You don't agree so no one should do it, right?

I’m sure bad stuff happens.

But I remember last year there was a story that made national news about a teenage girl that jumped out of her Uber mid-ride and badly hurt herself. Because she became convinced that the driver was spraying knockout gas in the car while driving so he could rape her.

Really, what happened is that everything she consumes puts into her head that every man wants to rape her. So even Febreeze now becomes evidence of an attempted rape.

Bad things happen. But the statistical probability of it happening are very small. And nobody should go through life expecting it to happen at any second.

About 2,800 teens in the United States ages 13–19 were killed1,2 and about 227,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes in 2020.1 That means that every day, about eight teens died due to motor vehicle crashes, and hundreds more were injured. Motor vehicle crash deaths among teens 13–19 years of age resulted in about $40.7 billion* in medical costs and cost estimates for lives lost in 2020.1

If I had my choice I'd choose uber Evertime

So you cancel an Uber before it gets to you. They will show you a pic of the driver usually. So would I be biased and cancel an older guy picking up my daughter until a female driver accepts, yep. The risk is likely low, but gives a little more control…
Sexist !!!! How dare you use demographic statistical probabilities to evaluate safety risks for your family.

Not sure about the older reference though...I'd feel she would be more safe with some retired guy in his early 60s than some 25 year old...

You don't agree so no one should do it, right?
Look, people can do whatever they to with their children. For me, this is something that I would NEVER do, NEVER. I can't believe that a parent would allow their teenage daughter to get into the car with a stranger.
Uber can do all of the "background checks" that they want and it still is a no go for me. But hey, if you feel comfortable in doing so, go for it.

Look, people can do whatever they to with their children. For me, this is something that I would NEVER do, NEVER. I can't believe that a parent would allow their teenage daughter to get into the car with a stranger.
Uber can do all of the "background checks" that they want and it still is a no go for me. But hey, if you feel comfortable in doing so, go for it.
Of course a parent should do what they feel is best.
I'm just saying, it's far far safer than letting a friend pick them up.

Can you imagine people used to hitchhike and pick up hitchhikers. This world and the US have become so violent now. Insane. I wonder how it ends?

Of course a parent should do what they feel is best.
I'm just saying, it's far far safer than letting a friend pick them up.
I guess on this subject, we are just going to have agree to disagree. I'd much rather have a 17 year old friend of my daughter, who would know me and my wife come and pick her up versus a stranger who I know absolutely nothing about.

I guess on this subject, we are just going to have agree to disagree. I'd much rather have a 17 year old friend of my daughter, who would know me and my wife come and pick her up versus a stranger who I know absolutely nothing about.
Well that statistically puts your daughter at a waaay higher risk for death than an Uber.
But you're the parent here, not me

I used to take buses throughout the city at that age. I use Uber or Lyft for most of my travels. I rarely rent cars anymore. I taught my son how to use Uber and Lyft. I’m alright with this in certain scenarios.

Will the drivers have bags of candy?

Can you imagine people used to hitchhike and pick up hitchhikers. This world and the US have become so violent now. Insane. I wonder how it ends?

Other countries now have United States travel advisories because of guns/murders here. It's funny to me when people say they won't go to places like Mexico but live in places like Mississippi, Louisiana or Alabama.

Other countries now have United States travel advisories because of guns/murders here. It's funny to me when people say they won't go to places like Mexico but live in places like Mississippi, Louisiana or Alabama.
I know a few people who have moved to Mexico recently and they're loving it

Reactions: joeydavid
I know a few people who have moved to Mexico recently and they're loving it

Funny, sorta... I travel to Mexico a fair amount. 3.5 years ago, I was required to show proof of return on three occasions to enter Mexico. On the third time, I asked WTF to the airline.

They said, Mexico is cracking down on the illegals coming into their country from the states. Without proof of return, they will detain and deport you back to states. Heard rumors about all Americans being rapists and drug dealers so there's that.... 🙄

• Wow
Funny, sorta... I travel to Mexico a fair amount. 3.5 years ago, I was required to show proof of return on three occasions to enter Mexico. On the third time, I asked WTF to the airline.

They said, Mexico is cracking down on the illegals coming into their country from the states. Without proof of return, they will detain and deport you back to states. Heard rumors about all Americans being rapists and drug dealers so there's that.... 🙄
Yeah they are going for citizenship.

I hate to try the thread back on track but I'm going to try.

I hadn't really considered this as something people would do since Uber really isn't a thing here. I think there are some circumstances where I would be okay with it but I would probably try to exhaust other options, first. It's not like there isn't some sketchy history with Uber and single women. Might cost a few bucks more but you can hire a "limo" service, too. That sort of thing has been around in NYC for a long time and grew in popularity when companies started hiring them to transport female employees after a certain hour.

Well, if other countries are saying it!!!!

I hate to try the thread back on track but I'm going to try.

I hadn't really considered this as something people would do since Uber really isn't a thing here. I think there are some circumstances where I would be okay with it but I would probably try to exhaust other options, first. It's not like there isn't some sketchy history with Uber and single women. Might cost a few bucks more but you can hire a "limo" service, too. That sort of thing has been around in NYC for a long time and grew in popularity when companies started hiring them to transport female employees after a certain hour.

When you say not a thing here, where are you referencing? I find uber to be efficient and sometimes a better choice economically on some of my trips. I don't have to get a rental, no parking fees to get around, and it shows up at my front door to pick me up.

When you say not a thing here, where are you referencing? I find uber to be efficient and sometimes a better choice economically on some of my trips. I don't have to get a rental, no parking fees to get around, and it shows up at my front door to pick me up.
Where I live, there aren't any Uber's. Too rural.

I love Uber. Use it whenever I travel. Heck, I even use it when I'm staying in a city and have my vehicle parked at the hotel because I don't want to deal with driving or I want to have a few beers. But I'm also a large and imposing older man and I've never had to think about my safety. I'm thinking about the prospect of using it with my 15-year-old daughter riding alone.

Reactions: FireballZ
I think you you should lock your doors, crawl under your bed while clutching a gun in each hand and cower in fear for the rest of your miserable, pathetic life.

I think you you should lock your doors, crawl under your bed while clutching a gun in each hand and cower in fear for the rest of your miserable, pathetic life.
Don't know who your posting was intended for but in case it was for me, the person who put up the initial posting, I offer you the following...

Unfortunately, sexual assault is a common issue for female passengers on uber rides. According to a safety report by Uber, eight cases of sexual assault occur in their cars on average each day.Apr 5, 2023

In case you want to know, YES, I do believe that this number would increase significantly once you begin to to allow teenage females to ride in a car driven by an unknown uber driver.

Don't know who your posting was intended for but in case it was for me, the person who put up the initial posting, I offer you the following...

Unfortunately, sexual assault is a common issue for female passengers on uber rides. According to a safety report by Uber, eight cases of sexual assault occur in their cars on average each day.Apr 5, 2023

In case you want to know, YES, I do believe that this number would increase significantly once you begin to to allow teenage females to ride in a car driven by an unknown uber driver.
I was responding to the frightened person who started this thread.

Would you let them ride in a taxi? A bus? Or walk home? Ride their bike or scooter?
If no, then you need to drive them around everywhere. Forever.
But to truly protect a daughter from sexual assault, riding in an Uber is far safer than being around acquaintances.

As supposed to getting a ride from a teenage driver ?

Your daughter is much more likely to be harmed by a neighbor or family member than a stranger. Maybe get her some pepper spray or a self defense class tho- better to be prepared.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Yep, 100%. I'd take my chances on one her friends driving her then I would an unknown stranger doing the same thing.
You do not have a good understanding of population statistics. Statistically, you would prefer to have your daughter die fulfilling your preconceived notion than have her live and proving you wrong.
Do you know the guy flying the airplane when you fly?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT