ADVERTISEMENT

Keeping the Pitt Hoops Hype Going & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Let’s keep the Hoops Hype ... and Pitt Karma … going!

** Last week, a second consecutive miracle-styled Football comeback inspired a welcome, at least for me, return to long defunct Saturday night dribbles.

** Actually, it felt really good to WANT to write them again.

** So tonight, 73 Panther Pigskin points (not to mention 6 more unbeaten sets) later, it feels like a pretty darned good plan to keep this Panther Karma, not to mention the discussion, or even the hype, freely flowing.

** But before hopping into hoops, let’s give the appropriate nods to the first-ever Panther Football team to have an undefeated non conference state. Hard to believe that actually.

** And yes, I made a point this week to watch the Lady Volleyballers crush the Cult. I know next to nothing about College Volleyball. The little that I do believes these Ladies can be the last ones standing.

** Nonetheless, I recall my hype heavy words last week offering that this year’s Hoop Team should be ready to take some steps forward from the previous two campaigns.

** In fact, I think I offered that we might be able to take something like a whole Sweet 16 steps forward.

** Sweet 16? Really?

** I mean, should we believe such hype?

** Allow me to confess what I wrote last week was not only inspired by the brilliance of Eli, but the added influence of pre, in-game, and post game elixirs. More than just a couple actually.

** But with the added sanity of sobriety, I must ask myself if I truly believe that a top 20 season could be in store for Capel’s Crew. I think I do, but let's allow a deeper dive.

** So let’s start with last year. Count me among those who looked at our Panthers at the end of last season thinking there weren’t 30 better teams. Maybe not even 20.

** Yet we all know, of course, that team had two players who find themselves now not with the Panthers, but instead associating with their NBA peers.

** As evidence of my aforementioned Sweet 16 hype though, I offered my belief in Mr. Lowe and Mr. Delalic as two who can, and maybe even will, follow in the footsteps of the Pro Panther forefathers.

** I also offered a belief in Capel’s Culture, something that has become clearly evident over the past two years. I don’t know how many wins or seeds that's worth. But it matters.

** But a week later after my first haul of hype, I’ve started to come to a different conclusion. The hype for this team shouldn’t be so much embedded in Jaland or Amsal or Culture. In fact, it really could be in about five or six other guys.

** So in other words, Jaland could be All ACC and Amsal could average a dozen, and both could end up on NBA draft boards. And the team could still love each other to death, yet the Panthers could still wind up on the bubble, where they’ve been for the last two years..

** With that, we have to wonder what else is needed for this team to be special.

** There are legit nominees.

** There are those who really believe in Brandin Cummings. I’ve heard he’s been very impressive in workouts thus far, and he comes to the Panthers with a pedigree not really inferior to the one Jaland had when he first came here. If he performs anywhere close to where Jaland did after the ball dropped in 2024, that’s some serious coal for the hype train engine. Possible? Yes. Probable? We’ll see.

** Is there more Zach in Austin? He’s athletic. He’s exciting. He’s skilled. He’s a defender. He’s inconsistent. There were plenty of impressive moments last year. There were plenty of non-existent moments too. Maybe too many. Zach started 31 games last year. He’ll likely start at least that many this year. But how much faster is the hype train chugging if Zach is tossing closer to double digits instead of half dozen?

** Our friend @Vader_Storm has already climbed on board the Cam Corhen hype train. I simply don’t know enough about Cam to have what I believe is a credible opinion. What I do know is that Fede, a player who I really liked the year prior, wasn’t very good last year. Let’s be honest. More often, he was an offensive detriment to our cause. We often succeeded in spite of him.

** If Cam averages “just” what he averaged last year at Florida State, that’s exactly double what Fede averaged last year. Imagine what this does to our attack? And it’s pretty likely to occur.

** Few are buying tickets on Capel’s train because of Damian Dunn. That is except maybe Capel himself. Someone who would know told me Capel loves him. Even if Damian averages “just” what he averaged last year at #1 seed Houston, imagine what this does to our attack? Or instead, imagine if he’s closer to the 15 PPG, 35% 3pt shooter he was at Temple. It’s not out of the question. There's some hype for you!

** Some think 7 footer Guillermo Diaz Graham is still just scratching the ceiling of his full potential. We already know the floor should be no lower than 7 PPG and 40% from three. And Jeff thinks so much of him and what he does for offensive court spacing that serious time for G at the four could be in order. Even if I’m still not fully onboard the G hype train, I believe in the engineer who believes in him.

** But all of this leads to the man who may indeed be the most important Panther for the upcoming season much more than any other. More than Jaland, Amsal or Culture or any of the other nominees for the Sweet 16 Steps forward.

** As I write this tonight, I believe this is Ish’s team.

** He’s the leader. The vet. The prime carryover. And not to mention, the leading returning scorer.

** Many, including me, noted Jaland’s emergence as the biggest reason for the Panther turnaround last year. But it must also be noted that when Ish was struggling with his shoulder injury, so were our Panthers.

** But in the Panther’s final 16 games last year when the team was 12-4, Ish scored in double digits 12 times, as opposed to singles the previous 5. He averaged 13 PPG in those last 16. And he was legendary against Wake Forest in the ACC tournament.

** It’s perhaps wiser to believe the path to a Sweet 16 follows a serious senior season from Ish more than any other Panther on the team.

** Or even more, imagine if both Ish and Jaland find their names on the All-ACC list at year end? No doubt that some will put both names on their preseason All-ACC prediction lists.

** Nonetheless, just like football and volleyball, basketball is indeed a team game, and that overall chemistry matters as much as which individuals will step forward

** But also like our Panther Football and Volleyball teams, I remain hyped and excited about keeping the karma and conversation going for our Panther Hoopers, as we head into what looks like could be a historic fall and winter for all three.

** How’s that for hype?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.