ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky's Path to Their Rare 10 Win Season

poconopanther

Redshirt
Jul 5, 2001
5-3 in SEC games - a bowl victory against Penn St. and a 4-0 ooc record. Their four ooc wins were against Murray State, Middle Tennessee , Central Michigan and in state rival Louisville who was a joke this year. This year they play Toledo, Eastern Michigan, UT-Martin and Louisville in ooc. The following year its Louisville, Eastern Michigan, Eastern Illinois and Kent. The following year its La.-Monroe, Akron, UT Chattoonga and Louisville. I think you get the picture. Not saying that Devonshire selects Pitt if we go 10-3 and Kentucky loses seven but the concept is its all about the record . I had no clue who they beat until I looked it up but I heard throughout the post season about the ten win season that they had and how they turned around their program.Its the same path that Syracuse took to their ten win season. If we continuep with mediocre records our recruiting wont improve. We had a chance to finish 9-5 this year but we didn't show up against Miami and a weakened Stanford team .

Kentucky is smart. Pitt is not. And dont give me "UCF was 0-12." They won the effing Fiesta Bowl the year before and have been one of the best mid-majors since starting football. Scheduling Cincy and Wisconsin (for sure we will go 0-2 vs Wis) are just as stupid. Nobody in Pittsburgh gives a sh!t about Wisconsin. Thats just like the OKST series except Wisky may bring 5K fans.

Scheduling Wisc and Tennessee (0-4) is stupid...

1 rival and 3 cupcakes should be the formula every year.

1 rival and 3 cupcakes should be the formula every year.

Absolutely true. There is far more to an easy schedule than just wins. There is the factor of not getting beat up, of getting to ease young talent into the line-up, along with the ability to work on different plays/schemes in practice to be implemented down the line, and the confidence or "buying in" with the group early in the season.

They beat Florida and Mississippi St. Oh yeah and Penn st
They actually had the novel idea of beating some of the good teams they played

You know how Pitt could have gotten ten wins, despite the “tough” schedule? Beat a terrible North Carolina team, Stanford’s second string, and (gasp!) an actual good team
But no, here on Pantherlair we think the problem is playing our most hated rival and a G5 team in the same year. Gheesh

What do you think Pitt's record would be with this schedule? My take:
Central Michigan - win
Florida - loss
Murray State - win
Mississippi State - loss
South Carolina - win
Texas A&M - loss
Vanderbilt - win
Mizzou - loss
Georgia - loss
Tennessee - win
Middle Tennessee - win
Louisville - win
Penn State - loss

That is 6-7 instead of 7-7. Ok flip one, have an upset of Mizzou, now you're 7-6. I don't think it was about schedule. They had a better year. They beat Florida and Penn State. We got blown out by Penn State.

Reactions: OriginalEther
They actually had the novel idea of beating some of the good teams they played

Kentucky was impressive this year (as in their bowl win vs. PSU) but isn't the question "How did they get where they are given their bleak history?" If a weak OOC schedule has allowed Kentucky to gain enough traction to beat a 9 win PSU team why not follow that plan?

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Our first six ACC games were easier than basically every one of their SEC games. Non conference isn't the whole picture. Not that I'd ever want to play UCF again (bleh I know we are.)

Kentucky was impressive this year (as in their bowl win vs. PSU) but isn't the question "How did they get where they are given their bleak history?" If a weak OOC schedule has allowed Kentucky to gain enough traction to beat a 9 win PSU team why not follow that plan?
They’ve played that type of schedule for over twenty years. And still the results were, as you said, usually bleak
They had good results this year because they actually had a good team, which was able to beat other good teams
Pitt’s record this season was an accurate reflection of the team and coaching, not some cruel mirage due to a “difficult “ schedule

Since 1980 UK has had only 14 bowl seasons (6 or more wins)... conversely Pitt has had 25.

Pitt has been significantly better even including the 1990s (Majors 2) when Pitt football fell off the map.

Since 2000 Pitt has missed a bowl game only 3 times... 10 times for UK. Not making a bowl is pretty tough these days and UK has done it more often than not since 2000.

Pitt had been mediocre, while UK has been a classic doormat.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
They’ve played that type of schedule for over twenty years. And still the results were, as you said, usually bleak
They had good results this year because they actually had a good team, which was able to beat other good teams
Pitt’s record this season was an accurate reflection of the team and coaching, not some cruel mirage due to a “difficult “ schedule
I didn't expect better than 4-8 with the team we had, and that's irrespective of schedule. I am not thrilled by how they managed to get all those mid season wins (obviously neither was Pitt since they fired the OC) but they won them. Frankly we had a bad team in 17 as well, some of the most worthless QB play, we shouldn't have won the 5 we did. Narduzzi is able to win above his talent. Now if we could only help him in getting the talent...

No real argument there, but Pitt would be better perceived if they were like Number 15 Syracuse who lost to Pitt, went to 2OT vs UNC, got trounced 36-3 late in the season by an overrated ND team or Number 22 Utah State who lost to both of the ranked opponents on their schedule, came in 3rd in he Mwest conference, and beat a 3-9 Colorado State team by 5 at home late in the season.

Kentucky has had recruiting classes in the top 30 or so the past 4-5 years. Their 2014 class that was #17 on this site were RS seniors. Add in 3 star guys like Allen and Snell that became stars. Their secondary will have a few players drafted as the TE will be.

They had a weak ass OOC, which helps, but they also had talent.

Since 1980 UK has had only 14 bowl seasons (6 or more wins)... conversely Pitt has had 25.

Pitt has been significantly better even including the 1990s (Majors 2) when Pitt football fell off the map.

Since 2000 Pitt has missed a bowl game only 3 times... 10 times for UK. Not making a bowl is pretty tough these days and UK has done it more often than not since 2000.

Pitt had been mediocre, while UK has been a classic doormat.
Indeed. There's a funky smell to it. A bag changed hands at some point in the last two weeks. That, or Pitt played some of our occasional high-nose BS, disputing the guy's grades or maybe fretting over a failed weed test or something. The cap and gown gang getting involved where they don't belong.

This is speculative of course but based on very real things that cost us recruits in the past and not out of the realm of likelihood.

There is just no believable legitimate scenario that this random junk program from an unpleasant, deeply racist rural sh*thole was able to drop in to a place they never get players and effortlessly snap him up.

Unfortunately we have no real reporters locally willing to dive into the filth of this business. I guess because the highest degree of filth occurs at the university they all worship to the NE. And, they like that Pitt got screwed.

Reactions: daminals76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT