ADVERTISEMENT

PG’s top 10 Overhyped WPIAL prospects for 2025

I do think the bust rate, as a percentage, is mostly the same no matter where you look. Some schools will be better than the average but for the most part, the percentage of busts in the WPIAL is probably very close to the same as Miami or DFW or SoCal. It may be even better since the borderline kids in the WPIAL aren't getting as many second looks as kids from those areas.

I think there may be a little truth to the FL 3-star but not because they are as good as a PA 4-start. I think it's because they have seen enough of the FL 3 and 4-stars that they are a little more experienced in competing against that talent. Being a superstar RB in PA probably means you haven't had to shed a tackle from a piss missal of a 200 pound LB that can turn on a dime and doesn't value their own life. Goes to what I was saying about the level of competition.

There's no doubt the competition is drastically different. I just think sometimes fans think these Rivals recruiting guys are sitting there watching hours of tape to put these rankings together, when it's just not true. A lot of this is from the Rivals camps these guys host where all the studs are going up against each other. Then the tangibles such as size, weight, 40 time, etc. play a big role in it.

But I'm sure it's a combination of all factors, especially when considering that not everyone does the camps.

Reactions: pittdan77
I do think the bust rate, as a percentage, is mostly the same no matter where you look. Some schools will be better than the average but for the most part, the percentage of busts in the WPIAL is probably very close to the same as Miami or DFW or SoCal. It may be even better since the borderline kids in the WPIAL aren't getting as many second looks as kids from those areas.

I think there may be a little truth to the FL 3-star but not because they are as good as a PA 4-start. I think it's because they have seen enough of the FL 3 and 4-stars that they are a little more experienced in competing against that talent. Being a superstar RB in PA probably means you haven't had to shed a tackle from a piss missal of a 200 pound LB that can turn on a dime and doesn't value their own life. Goes to what I was saying about the level of competition.
Could be the reason and im sure that plays a part. But i do not downplay coaching. I think the 3 star in Florida is just more raw. Say what yinz want about local coaches, but as a collective, they are better than their Florida counterparts. So a PA 4 star got better coaching and is more polished, so when that 3 star gets college coaching and it clicks, they start out performing the 4 star.

There's no doubt the competition is drastically different. I just think sometimes fans think these Rivals recruiting guys are sitting there watching hours of tape to put these rankings together, when it's just not true. A lot of this is from the Rivals camps these guys host where all the studs are going up against each other. Then the tangibles such as size, weight, 40 time, etc. play a big role in it.

But I'm sure it's a combination of all factors, especially when considering that not everyone does the camps.
The "stars" do have too much emphasis placed on them based on just camp performances. Frankly, I hate some of the drills I see where an OL-man and DL-man, without pads, are going one-on-one in pass pro. Nowhere close to real world and I don't see how you can do much evaluation with that. I always thought those drills were just dumb. Coaches watch film and honestly, there are intangibles, like coachability, that matter a lot more than people realize.

This is not specific to WPIAL but the bust rate is also about the player's drive and desire. If you are a P4 type athlete high school football is generally pretty easy but if a player doesn't have "it" they don't typically fare too well in college. Now if you are a P4 athlete in PA how many other P4 athletes are you going up against?

Could be the reason and im sure that plays a part. But i do not downplay coaching. I think the 3 star in Florida is just more raw. Say what yinz want about local coaches, but as a collective, they are better than their Florida counterparts. So a PA 4 star got better coaching and is more polished, so when that 3 star gets college coaching and it clicks, they start out performing the 4 star.
Coaching is very hit and miss. Honestly, a "good" HS coach is getting the weight room expanded and restocked with good equipment (and used) and is teaching fundamentals at an earlier age. Beyond that, a lot of HS coaches really aren't doing much because they're not as heavily invested in how colleges teach kids. Our local district regularly competes for the district title but they have zero conditioning program and the "line coach" really doesn't know what he's doing but he's buddies with the HC. They win, almost in spite of themselves. That's why I say coachability matters. Some never see real coaching til they arrive on campus. Their offer usually relies on size and athleticism.

It depends what we're calling good, I guess. Hainsey for sure. And I've seen Kristofic, Carmody, and Lugg all start/get some playing time at ND (not sure exactly how much). Isn't Katic doing pretty well at Indiana or something? Did Gmiter do well at WVU? Kradel/Zubovic/Houy... ehhh, they had their moments. Definitely Bisnowaty and Johnson, though, and I'd say Bookser was pretty good. I'm sure I'm missing a few. Didn't one go to UCF and do well?
I am talking GOOD. Like being drafted. 1st or 2nd rounders, playing and starting in the league. It's really been awhile. But back in the day, you seemingly had WPIAL linemen drafted in the first 2 rounds every draft.

One thing locally that I wonder that has hampered the talent here, with the older population and stagnation, enrollments for the most part are way down, especially compared with the East. Look how many 6A and 5A schools are in like District's 1 and 3 vs the WPIAL. District 1 has 5 total schools in AA and A, District 3 has 10. The WPIAL has 56!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 56 football playing high schools here are AA or A. That's by far the greatest number of any district. And this is a metro area and doesn't even include Aliquippa.

I just think because of the size of these schools, you just aren't getting competition and player development, plus the schools are poor and don't have equipment/coaching.

Reactions: singregardless
This is not specific to WPIAL but the bust rate is also about the player's drive and desire. If you are a P4 type athlete high school football is generally pretty easy but if a player doesn't have "it" they don't typically fare too well in college. Now if you are a P4 athlete in PA how many other P4 athletes are you going up against?
Bingo. I have watched Texas football and it reminded me of the WPIAL in the 1970's. You would see 8-10 Division I players in one game on the field in those days. Now you're lucky to see 8-10 in the entire WPIAL. Hard to measure a player when they're playing against inferior competition week after week. When they get to college, they have to play and practice much harder and that's when the desire kicks in. You have it or you don't.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Texas from top to bottom has the best football in the country. However, a lot of those kids are burned out by the time they graduate HS. For many of these big programs down there, it's 24/7 football, single sport athletes from the time their in 7th grade.

Not a Deion fan but he said it best. "Texas has the best HS football, but if you want to find "dogs" you go to Florida."

I am talking GOOD. Like being drafted. 1st or 2nd rounders, playing and starting in the league. It's really been awhile. But back in the day, you seemingly had WPIAL linemen drafted in the first 2 rounds every draft.
You can't go by just being drafted. Dan Mozes from Wash High was an All American OL for WVU back in the mid 2000s. Yet he went undrafted and was only a camp guy. To be in the league it takes many stars to align.

You can't go by just being drafted. Dan Mozes from Wash High was an All American OL for WVU back in the mid 2000s. Yet he went undrafted and was only a camp guy. To be in the league it takes many stars to align.
This, times 10. The guys who go to the NFL and start are just freaks. You also have to land in the right situation AND stay healthy. Not very easy.

to land in the right situation
People understand very little about this aspect of it. To be honest, I'm naive about it too. The most in depth most people are capable of is a RB or QB playing behind a bad line. They can't explain why the line is bad, but they see the poor result.
Outside of that, they do not understand how a player can fit into one system/style, but not another.

4. The WPIAL is producing very little offensive skilled position talent. Totally agree on this one.
No doubt. Aren't there still multiple WPIAL teams running Wing T/Wing T variant offenses? They put their best athlete at RB then hand them the ball 40 times a game which pretty much ruins said kid's chances at playing at the next level.

People understand very little about this aspect of it. To be honest, I'm naive about it too. The most in depth most people are capable of is a RB or QB playing behind a bad line. They can't explain why the line is bad, but they see the poor result.
Outside of that, they do not understand how a player can fit into one system/style, but not another.
Well, a good example would be the tackle the Steelers just drafted. Most people had him as a guard in the pros. Will the Steelers agree with that assessment or will they put him at tackle? Will he work at one position or the other? Think of Kendrick Green being thrown to the wolves as a center. Does the scheme align with his experience? Are the players around him any good? Is the coaching staff putting them is a situation where they can be successful? Think Kevin Dotson and his Steeler career versus what he did with the Rams last year.

No doubt. Aren't there still multiple WPIAL teams running Wing T/Wing T variant offenses? They put their best athlete at RB then hand them the ball 40 times a game which pretty much ruins said kid's chances at playing at the next level.
Go down south in bama, ga, Mississippi, etc., you'll see the wing t and all of it's bastardized versions are alive and well.

Reactions: pittdan77
You didn't really make the case that these guys are necessarily overrated....you made a case that Penn State has a heck of a lot of talent and these guys might get stuck behind some very good players. Pitt would be thrilled to have that type of problem.
It's not debatable that the peds have some good talent especially at RB and LB. Maybe WPIAL talent isn't overated, but, how do you know if they can't crack the lineup? Frankly, I don't feel sorry for any of them who choose the pedophile state u and then don't play. If winning ten games and being part of a school who emphasizes football to the point of compromising children means more to them than playing time, then they should just spend 4 years there in blissful happiness.
I'm sure all WPIAL 4 star players think they are just as good as Florida, Texas, or California 4 star players, but, it may not be the case. I mean, it's great to be part of a winning program, but, if it were me, I would rather go where I could play. Talented players get noticed by the NFL regardless of the school, no matter how big or small.

Reactions: pittmeister
Turned out to be a good player but he wasn’t better than the CBs we had.
I think he had two return touchdowns against powerful Massachusetts. He was a solid nickel and plus athlete, but, there aren't many 5'8" 175 lb. defensive backs playing at the next level. Sometimes, regardless of athletic ability, your measurables just work against you.

Reactions: daminals76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT