ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Dotson

I saw that too. Brutal. And the guys they brought in aren’t getting it done either. Oline coach should be next.

They really should see if Munchak wants to get back into coaching. He may be able to do better but it Can’t hurt to ask.

Reactions: 303vND and Fk_Pitt
I saw that too. Brutal. And the guys they brought in aren’t getting it done either. Oline coach should be next.

They really should see if Munchak wants to get back into coaching. He may be able to do better but it Can’t hurt to ask.
I disagree, Seumolo and Jones have been solid. It’s Dan Moore and Mason Cole that have taken a step back.

yet another bad steeler player that left the team and excelled on another one. that list is long and distinguished..

sucks cause back in the day, it used to be the other way around
Who are some of the other Steelers who sucked here but are excelling other places outside of Dotson?

Back in the day I didn't think Vrabel or Emmons were very good until they left Pittsburgh.

Who are some of the other Steelers who sucked here but are excelling other places outside of Dotson?

Back in the day I didn't think Vrabel or Emmons were very good until they left Pittsburgh.

Emmanuel Sanders was okay here, but he blew up when he left. I don't know about many examples where a guy flat out sucked here and then tore it up elsewhere. Obviously a lot of people disliked Spillane. Maybe Dobbs will become that, ha.

Reactions: 303vND
Mike Hilton, Spillane..
Mike Hilton was good when he was here. Spillane had his limitations but he also had some good moments in a Steeler uniform as well.

I really wouldn’t consider either of them as being dogshit as Steelers and then blossoming afterwards. They just got more playing opportunity after leaving.

Mike Hilton was good when he was here. Spillane had his limitations but he also had some good moments in a Steeler uniform as well.

I really wouldn’t consider either of them as being dogshit as Steelers and then blossoming afterwards. They just got more playing opportunity after leaving.

Isn't that the question? Why didn't t they get more opportunity?

they didn't suck though. Both were excellent players.
yes, very weird examples. Chad brown actually did OK with seattle but was excellent wiht the steelers at inside backer and had a great Year when they moved him to the outside.. Signed for huge money, left and did ok but went kind of under the radar for a boring and irrelevant (at the time) seattle organization

Emmanuel Sanders was okay here, but he blew up when he left. I don't know about many examples where a guy flat out sucked here and then tore it up elsewhere. Obviously a lot of people disliked Spillane. Maybe Dobbs will become that, ha.
Wasn't Sanders primarily the #3 receiver here behind Ward and Wallace early on? Then he was paired up with AB if I'm not mistaken.

I think even though he produced better with Denver he was not as good as those receivers mentioned above - Ward, Wallace, AB.

Wasn't Sanders primarily the #3 receiver here behind Ward and Wallace early on? Then he was paired up with AB if I'm not mistaken.

I think even though he produced better with Denver he was not as good as those receivers mentioned above - Ward, Wallace, AB.
Sanders was always a good #2 option. The Steelers chose to pay Wallace and AB (as any franchise would have) and he didn't have a long term fit here. He was the same player here as every other stop- he just got more targets elsewhere.

Maybe Javon Hargrove? He was solid for the Steelers. His stats have improved but that is because he moved from NT to an interior DL in a 4-3.

He was better and more well-rounded than Wallace, in my opinion. He had three 1,000-yard seasons and made two pro bowls after he left here... including 1,400 yards his first season in Denver (more than twice what he'd had here). Then he had an on again off again thing going with injuries.

He wasn't bad in Pittsburgh, but he was definitely blocked. I do remember him doing some things though, such as fumbling in Dallas, that I thought kept him from being all that highly regarded here.

Isn't that the question? Why didn't t they get more opportunity?
No, the question was what players were mediocre with Steelers and way better if not stars once they left.

Personal opinion but I don’t think either Hilton or Spillane fit that bill, both were good when they were here, they didn’t do an about face and become good after they left.

My comment on more playing time w/r to Hilton was because he was the nickel back when here but a full-time starter when he went to the Bengals. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t any good when he was here in his role. I thought he was real good. Steelers just didn’t have the cap space to keep him.

Spillane I think was similar to the current Steelers ILB rotation until 2 got lost for the season. Spillane was good against the run and played in those situations, not as good against the pass but still ended up playing in those situations with some success because Bush was worse or injured. Similar to this year where Alexander was in for pass defense and Roberts for run defense. Although Roberts was all-around good against the Browns when having to play more with Alexander and Holcomb gone for the year. Let’s hope he keeps that up.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
Maybe Javon Hargrove? He was solid for the Steelers. His stats have improved but that is because he moved from NT to an interior DL in a 4-3.
I think Hargrove was good when he was here, his improvement with Eagles I think was just the natural progression that comes with experience after just being on his rookie contract with the Steelers.

I think Hargrove was another case like Hilton where the Steelers didn’t want to lose him or were dissatisfied with him, they just didn’t have the cap space to keep him.

Reactions: Pitt2009
yes, very weird examples. Chad brown actually did OK with seattle but was excellent wiht the steelers at inside backer and had a great Year when they moved him to the outside.. Signed for huge money, left and did ok but went kind of under the radar for a boring and irrelevant (at the time) seattle organization
Yeah, I don’t agree with many of the examples mentioned either. Best one that I think was mentioned, by Steel, was Vrabel. He was drafted by the Steelers and really did nothing here and then blossomed with the Patriots.

Yeah, I don’t agree with many of the examples mentioned either. Best one that I think was mentioned, by Steel, was Vrabel. He was drafted by the Steelers and really did nothing here and then blossomed with the Patriots.
Another guy who continued to play good was Searcy. But like Hargrave if I recall correctly they didn’t want that big of a $$ hit for an OL.

And I always think it’s a shame Woodson wouldn’t agree to play safety here. The Steelers were dead right on his days of being a CB were done but he also was one helluva safety when he finally agreed to move.

dont think vrabel was a good 3-4 OLB. started out as DE then we moved him but just seemed like a tweener in our defense. To small to be DE, not athletic enough to be an OLB..

Another guy who continued to play good was Searcy. But like Hargrave if I recall correctly they didn’t want that big of a $$ hit for an OL.

And I always think it’s a shame Woodson wouldn’t agree to play safety here. The Steelers were dead right on his days of being a CB were done but he also was one helluva safety when he finally agreed to move.
Yeah I think Searcy was similar to Hargrove, definitely not a disappointment with the Steelers, actually the opposite. Steelers just didn’t have or want to spend the large $$ he commanded after his rookie contract.

dont think vrabel was a good 3-4 OLB. started out as DE then we moved him but just seemed like a tweener in our defense. To small to be DE, not athletic enough to be an OLB..
Yep, definitely part of the problem, Steelers tried to put him at a position he wasn’t suited for.

Hargrave was good here. They couldn't pay him because they paid Heyward and Tuitt.

Vrabel is a good example, but the Steelers also had Gildon and Porter.

Back to Dotson, the Steelers also had him at LG when he is a natural RG and admittedly had trouble adjusting to the opposite side. The Rams put him back at his natural position.

While not necessarily sucking with the Steelers, a couple of players from the '70's moved on and achieved even greater success after leaving Pittsburgh.

Preston Pearson, I believe was released by the Steelers and picked up by the
Cowboys. He played an integral role as their go to 3rd down back on those great Cowboy teams of the mid '70's.

Bradshaw always struggled throwing the touch pass to the running back coming out of the backfield.

Frank Lewis, a 1st round pick by the Steelers in the early '70's became expendable when the Steelers drafted both Swan and Stallworth. IIRC, we traded him to Buffalo and got a tight end Reuben Gant, who I think had the gout(?) and never actually played for the Steelers.

I think Lewis ended up making a couple of pro bowls and was the Bills #1 receiver for a time.

Does the former Steelers' QB and Denver Bronco 2 time Super Bowl champion Bubby Brister merit consideration?

;)

While not necessarily sucking with the Steelers, a couple of players from the '70's moved on and achieved even greater success after leaving Pittsburgh.

Preston Pearson, I believe was released by the Steelers and picked up by the
Cowboys. He played an integral role as their go to 3rd down back on those great Cowboy teams of the mid '70's.

Bradshaw always struggled throwing the touch pass to the running back coming out of the backfield.

Frank Lewis, a 1st round pick by the Steelers in the early '70's became expendable when the Steelers drafted both Swan and Stallworth. IIRC, we traded him to Buffalo and got a tight end Reuben Gant, who I think had the gout(?) and never actually played for the Steelers.

I think Lewis ended up making a couple of pro bowls and was the Bills #1 receiver for a time.

Does the former Steelers' QB and Denver Bronco 2 time Super Bowl champion Bubby Brister merit consideration?

;)
If we’re going back that far might as well name Johnny Unitas and Len Dawson!

He was better and more well-rounded than Wallace, in my opinion. He had three 1,000-yard seasons and made two pro bowls after he left here... including 1,400 yards his first season in Denver (more than twice what he'd had here). Then he had an on again off again thing going with injuries.

He wasn't bad in Pittsburgh, but he was definitely blocked. I do remember him doing some things though, such as fumbling in Dallas, that I thought kept him from being all that highly regarded here.
Also, Sanders was different than other receivers at the time because when they left they went from catching passes from Ben to someone not as good. Sanders left and Peyton Manning was his QB. He had the benefit of good QBs most of his career.

If we’re going back that far might as well name Johnny Unitas and Len Dawson!
With the purpose of compiling a comprehensive list of former Steelers who were let go and went on to actual HOF level greatness, those 2 are great additions.

The players that I mentioned are one's that I actually remember watching play. The majority of the more recent players had already been listed.

Reactions: Pitt2009
Wow, you’re going way back. And both were major contributors for the Steelers. Brown was an All-Pro in ‘96 and left because the Steelers couldn’t afford him.
Chad Brown left because there weren't any good sushi restaurants in Pittsburgh at the time. ;)

There is not a team out there that has not had a player leave and become better with his new team. Different coaches different schemes.

There is not a team out there that has not had a player leave and become better with his new team. Different coaches different schemes.
I think it's pretty rare with the Steelers though.

I also think it's pretty rare in the NFL tbh. That's what typically separates the college and pro game. Good players in the NFL can play in any scheme. The only true exception to that rule are defensive players especially DL because there is a world of difference between a 2 gap and 1 gap DL.

In the college game, WVU under RichRod proved recruiting rankings need to be taken with a serious grain of salt. He could take guys who didn't fit the ideal measurements and get them to produce at a high rate under his scheme. It's really hard to do that in the NFL.

With the purpose of compiling a comprehensive list of former Steelers who were let go and went on to actual HOF level greatness, those 2 are great additions.

The players that I mentioned are one's that I actually remember watching play. The majority of the more recent players had already been listed.

under this category, another great one to include is defensive tackle Dwayne Board. Was blowing it up as a rookie and killing it in the pre season games. Problem was the Fearsome Foursome was still intact, although I think this was one year after the last super bowl win. Noll went with loyalty/nostalgia and kept an aging Dwight White instead of Board, who was released on the final cuts.

Board was quickly picked up by the 49ers and was an anchor of their resurgence/super bowl runs.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
under this category, another great one to include is defensive tackle Dwayne Board. Was blowing it up as a rookie and killing it in the pre season games. Problem was the Fearsome Foursome was still intact, although I think this was one year after the last super bowl win. Noll went with loyalty/nostalgia and kept an aging Dwight White instead of Board, who was released on the final cuts.

Board was quickly picked up by the 49ers and was an anchor of their resurgence/super bowl runs.
Bringing up Board reminded me of another former Steeler who went on to be a Pro Bowler and favorite target of Joe Montana and an integral part of those great San Fran teams of the '80's, TE Brent Jones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT