ADVERTISEMENT

Kizza debut

I’m thinking of adopting an MLS team. But I’m having a hard time identify with a team from another US city. I liked LA Galaxy when they have Donovan and Beckham, but now I’m struggling to follow a bunch of lower talents from this hemisphere. I’m intrigued by Charlotte and Nashville but I dunno.

maybe if Cesc Fabregas comes over or another Chelsea legend comes, I’ll adopt that club. But if Lampard couldn’t get me to follow NYFC, and Drogba couldn’t get me to follow Montreal...then perhaps no one can.

Cesc and Messi might be a package deal one day

I’m thinking of adopting an MLS team. But I’m having a hard time identify with a team from another US city. I liked LA Galaxy when they have Donovan and Beckham, but now I’m struggling to follow a bunch of lower talents from this hemisphere. I’m intrigued by Charlotte and Nashville but I dunno.

maybe if Cesc Fabregas comes over or another Chelsea legend comes, I’ll adopt that club. But if Lampard couldn’t get me to follow NYFC, and Drogba couldn’t get me to follow Montreal...then perhaps no one can.

Cesc and Messi might be a package deal one day
I used to root for the Galaxy with Donovan and Beckham but haven't had a favorite team since they left. If Kizza would have gone to a different club, maybe I would have adopted them but the Revs are hopeless and its boring watching their games at a huge NFL stadium with 10K people there.

I thought about making Columbus my team but even though they have been good historically, they never bring in brand name players.

I used to root for the Galaxy with Donovan and Beckham but haven't had a favorite team since they left. If Kizza would have gone to a different club, maybe I would have adopted them but the Revs are hopeless and its boring watching their games at a huge NFL stadium with 10K people there.

I thought about making Columbus my team but even though they have been good historically, they never bring in brand name players.
Yeah. The stadium thing is a drag. It’s a knock against Charlotte, as they are in the big NFL stadium and made all kinds of investments and improvements. So I don’t think a stadium is in their near future?

I also considered Columbus.

Yeah. The stadium thing is a drag. It’s a knock against Charlotte, as they are in the big NFL stadium and made all kinds of investments and improvements. So I don’t think a stadium is in their near future?

I also considered Columbus.
I thought Tepper was building a new stadium. Guess not. That stadium is way too big. 75K is far far too big for MLS. That said, the trend has been for these new teams to draw 30K-50K in these NFL stadiums. I wouldn't be surprised if they draw like Atlanta and Seattle. That's a big city with no pro sports from April when the Hornets are done until September when the Panthers start.

I don’t need an MLS team. I’m a Barca fan, and I’ve now adopted Sunderland after watching “Sunderland Til I Die” on Netflix. What great fans they are!

From one of the poorest areas in England, which never has recovered from the collapse of the shipbuilding industry and mining; all blue collar working class just trying to survive. Yet, they still support their team, which dropped from the Premier League down to the third division in two straight relegations.

We have posts about what are the good hotels in Knoxville for taking in the Tennessee weekend. When Sunderland plays Bristol Town, they fill up buses for a 5 hour drive there and directly after the match ends, a 5 hour drive back. When Sunderland played Portsmouth in Wembley in a league cup championship match, they sold out their ticket allotment even though the last time Sunderland won a match at Wembley was 1973 — a record which unfortunately still endures.

When I first started following soccer in the early 1970s, the Premier League was full of teams from NE England: Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds, Sheffield, Middlesbrough and others. They have all since been relegated, though Newcastle and Leeds are back in the EPL and appear safe for this year. But, if Sunderland is an example, their fans have remained steadfast through the process. Sunderland has the Championship League (Second Division) season attendance record and the third division record as well. The fans understand how things are stacked against them: The EPL teams each receive about $100 Million annually just from broadcasting rights. Sunderland’s total revenues from all sources is approximately $20 Million. They can’t compete for players with that disparity. When they get a good player, he is bought out from under them by the big clubs. Sunderland’s youth system produced two starters on the English national team: Jordan Pickford, Everton’s goalie, and Jordan Henderson, Liverpool’s captain. They had no realistic chance to keep either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT