ADVERTISEMENT

Klopp. You’re on the clock!

One of the worst coaches in US history:

- Qualified for the World Cup on the last day and allowed Canada to win the group

- Barely got out of a bad WC group. Drawing Wales and only beating Iran 1-0 and then looked JV vs Netherlands

- Couldn't get out of a horrific Copa group

- Couldn't beat any Top 20 teams besides Mexico and this is probably the worst Mexican generation of players ever.

Cant believe it took this long and we wasted this opportunity at Copa America.

Klopp turned them down. The thing is, personally I won't be surprised if they aren't any better with a new coach.

That quote puts him near the head of the list for me. I want someone who will shake up US Soccer. Marsch as HC and that Crazy Eric Wynalda in some form of leadership and Im good. The US needs to do something different because we really haven't improved a ton since 1994 when we had no pro league, most of the guys didnt even play club soccer, and there were 0 televised soccer games in a 4 year period between World Cups?

I'd like to know why there is no US Soccer Academy in an inner city? Chicago, Bronx, Atlanta, West Philly, etc.

Reactions: jctrack
Poch is Englands chief foreign candidate but there’s always a push for the England manager to be English. That said, name me one prolific English Manager. I’ll wait. An Englishman has never once won the Premier league. Not once. I’m not even sure there’s one alive who has won any other league that matters.

A national team could make sense…

Last edited:
I think they're just waiting for Cherundolo to say yes or no. He had a presser the other day in which someone asked him about his future as LAFC gaffer. It was classic coach speak.

But atleast he plied his trade in Germany. One thing I will say is USSF is as iron fisted with leaks like Narduzzi is. Other than speculation, nothing seems to be coming out.

I think they're just waiting for Cherundolo to say yes or no. He had a presser the other day in which someone asked him about his future as LAFC gaffer. It was classic coach speak.

But atleast he plied his trade in Germany. One thing I will say is USSF is as iron fisted with leaks like Narduzzi is. Other than speculation, nothing seems to be coming out.
Maybe. But I think Crocker will bring a coach over from Europe. At least that will be his goal.

• Love
Reactions: Allan McMurray
I think even dipping into South America would be worth the time.
Patrick viera left Chelsea, errr their AAA team in Ligue 1 by a mutual parting of the ways. There are links to our USMNT. Wasn’t he considered before?

Patrick viera left Chelsea, errr their AAA team in Ligue 1 by a mutual parting of the ways. There are links to our USMNT. Wasn’t he considered before?
I believe so. But I don't think he was given the answers to the test when bunkered down in the hotel room like Derp was.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I think even dipping into South America would be worth the time.

I previously suggested Marcelo Gallardo, perhaps the greatest coach in River Plate history and a guy who played a year in MLS. I've also seen Ricardo Gareca's name mentioned.

Ultimately I don't see them going that route though.

I previously suggested Marcelo Gallardo, perhaps the greatest coach in River Plate history and a guy who played a year in MLS. I've also seen Ricardo Gareca's name mentioned.

I saw Gallardo's name and he sounds like a good candidate. But with Crocker being English, I can't see anyone except an American or European.

I wonder if he'll ask for team input? I sure hope not because this lot was all in on Derp. And will he be hesitant to go with someone who won't take any shit from the players.

Man I think you know a lot of the nuances to the game that many of us don’t. I don’t know a thing about South American soccer. But seeing how the USMNT folded vs Uruguay when they started mucking up the game…maybe a South American coach can help us toughen up and find ways to win tough games vs teams who want to play a different way.

Reactions: brdst11
Man I think you know a lot of the nuances to the game that many of us don’t. I don’t know a thing about South American soccer. But seeing how the USMNT folded vs Uruguay when they started mucking up the game…maybe a South American coach can help us toughen up and find ways to win tough games vs teams who want to play a different way.
One thing I've noticed about any South American team when they play the US is how physically dominant they are. Talents mixed with playing chippy and they usually succeed. The question is, would that style go well with this group of players

I wonder if he'll ask for team input? I sure hope not because this lot was all in on Derp. And will he be hesitant to go with someone who won't take any shit from the players.

He should pull a Costanza and whatever he did the last time he should do the opposite this time.

Brazil: pretty
Other South America: physical, almost dirty at times

Not an impressive list

Cherundolo
The Columbus Crew guy
Henry
Viera

The 2 French guys were legendary players but haven't done anything in coaching. Would Henry winning the Olympics at home be enough? What if Marko Mitrovic somehow wins Gold for the US? He'd have to jump near the top of the list

Not an impressive list

Cherundolo
The Columbus Crew guy
Henry
Viera

The 2 French guys were legendary players but haven't done anything in coaching. Would Henry winning the Olympics at home be enough? What if Marko Mitrovic somehow wins Gold for the US? He'd have to jump near the top of the list

Not sure where you saw those names but if that's the list I'm sticking with an interim until next year hoping that a big name may take the US job for 12 months

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Not sure where you saw those names but if that's the list I'm sticking with an interim until next year hoping that a big name may take the US job for 12 months

I wouldn't do that unless you got a wink/nod agreement with a big name. You need the new coach to make use of these friendlies and the Gold Cup.

I know this isn’t popular opinion, but I’d be ok with Viera. He’s an experienced guy who has coached at the highest level. He’s a slam dunk upgrade over Beerholder. Sure there are better guys out there, but are the better than Viera guys attainable? And I can’t believe Henry is even an option.

I know this isn’t popular opinion, but I’d be ok with Viera. He’s an experienced guy who has coached at the highest level. He’s a slam dunk upgrade over Beerholder. Sure there are better guys out there, but are the better than Viera guys attainable? And I can’t believe Henry is even an option.

NYCFC won MLS the year after he left

I disagree. All the teams are fairly even due to the salary cap. NYCFC winning it the year after he left means he probably wasnt even as good a coach as the guy who replaced him.
Because we’ve never ever ever ever ever ever seen lesser coaches win after taking over for better coaches who exit….

Viera has been around a long time. Plenty of people will tell you he sucks. There’s someone I have in mind right now who will probably see this post and tell me Viera is a pathetic loser. And that might be true. Although he was hired mid season to take over for a much more accomplished Manager at Strasbourg when they were 19th in the table and he led them to 15th avoiding relegation. The following year (last year) they finished 13th so he has them headed in the right direction, but Chelsea ownership and him agreed mutually to part ways. He did his job. At other places, like Crystal Palace, he had a rough go. But he’s still better than Derp and coaching the national team is an entirely different animal.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Because we’ve never ever ever ever ever ever seen lesser coaches win after taking over for better coaches who exit….

Viera has been around a long time. Plenty of people will tell you he sucks. There’s someone I have in mind right now who will probably see this post and tell me Viera is a pathetic loser. And that might be true. Although he was hired mid season to take over for a much more accomplished Manager at Strasbourg when they were 19th in the table and he led them to 15th avoiding relegation. The following year (last year) they finished 13th so he has them headed in the right direction, but Chelsea ownership and him agreed mutually to part ways. He did his job. At other places, like Crystal Palace, he had a rough go. But he’s still better than Derp and coaching the national team is an entirely different animal.

I dont think that necessarily disqualifies him but his resume is basically a nothing as it is. If he were an established coach and then his MLS team won it after he left, then you can maybe look past it but what has he ever accomplished? Didnt get Palace relegated?

I dont think that necessarily disqualifies him but his resume is basically a nothing as it is. If he were an established coach and then his MLS team won it after he left, then you can maybe look past it but what has he ever accomplished? Didnt get Palace relegated?
I don’t remember Palace ever getting relegated but I do know that CP supporters don’t care for him. I mean, they sacked Viera to bring back ol’ Roy. But coaching in the EPL is a different animal especially at a club like Palace with the wage structure they have. The bottom line is Viera has pedigree. It’s not great by any means, but he’d be a fallback option I could live with if the US don’t get their man, whoever that might be.

Viera's not a bad coach but he'd be a pretty underwhelming hire, particularly among those convinced that the US should have a world class coach.

I wouldn't hire any of them now and would wait and see who's available and interested in the Spring, which would even allow them to coach in the Gold Cup.

If I had to choose out of that group, I'd probably roll the dice on Cherundolo, who played a long time in Europe, has won the MLS title, and had assistant experience in the Bundesliga, German U 15s, and the USMNT.

Viera's not a bad coach but he'd be a pretty underwhelming hire, particularly among those convinced that the US should have a world class coach.

I wouldn't hire any of them now and would wait and see who's available and interested in the Spring, which would even allow them to coach in the Gold Cup.

If I had to choose out of that group, I'd probably roll the dice on Cherundolo, who played a long time in Europe, has won the MLS title, and had assistant experience in the Bundesliga, German U 15s, and the USMNT.

Cherundolo, I guess, would be the least worst option if they strike out. I dont like that he coaches the 2nd most talented MLS team besides Miami. I liked that as a player, he never seemed to be that talented but he was a Captain in the Bundesliga and a regular for the US.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT