ADVERTISEMENT

Last night was a perfect example of why this team has flipped from X and Trey to JC

jlazinger

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2011
I was convinced we were going to win last night. We usually come back strong after a loss and this was after I watch Clemson wipe the floor with L'ville. Here are some thoughts at this point in the season:
  • I'm not sure why VT is getting calls over us in the ACC. I can't believe there is a rule that calls a foul on a player for getting elbowed in the face. How do you defend when you can't get in a players "cylinder". This rule is as dumb as the enforcement of targeting.
  • To start the year the narrative was we need X and Trey to play well to win but that's no longer true. Part of it is that there doesn't ever seem to be a night where both of them play well. Champagnie is the straw that stirs the drink. I realize he's not a sharpshooter yet but you are going to get very few nights where he is 1-9 from 3. In a 10 point loss that's a big difference.
  • Terrell Brown would have been the perfect Dixon project considering what he was able to do with Gary McGhee. It's almost impossible to be 6'10" in college and get 2 rebounds in 21 minutes.
  • Coulibaly isn't amazing by any stretch but he needs to play over Hamilton for the rest of the year. Hamilton is too much of a below the rim player to really contribute and I'd rather give those minutes to a developmental guy. 10 and 5 in 19 minutes makes me think this kid could really develop.
  • I think Murphy is still hurt. He doesn't look right.
  • Capel made a great call in switching to the zone and a bad call in pressing. VT kept getting the wide open 3 in the corner when we pressed and continued to knock it down.
  • Free throws were also a killer. Can't hit 55% on the road and think you'll win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News