ADVERTISEMENT

Late Season Trends Under Capel?

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Found this very surprising. Is there a trend or just a coincidence? I don't know. It just doesn't make any sense to me because he is a player's coach that doesn't over coach and lets his kids play. So it's not like they get run down or worn out from constant coaching or yelling or anything. Here are the numbers;

Oklahoma
2006-07 - They were 15-8 (6-4), then lost 6 in a row and 7 of 8 to finish 16-15 (6-10). Now, this was his first year at Oklahoma so that needs to be kept in mind.
2009-10 - They were 13-9 (4-4) after a win over #9 Texas. After that win, lost the last 9 games of the season to finish 13-18.
2010-11 - They were 12-9 (4-3) on February 2nd after a win over Baylor. They then lost 8 in a row and 9 of 11 to finish 14-18.
2017-18 - We all know how these Pitt seasons went. 12-5 (2-2) on January 14th, and then 13 straight losses and 14 of 16.
2019-20 - Of course this season is most fresh. 13-6 (4-4) on January 22nd. Then lost 10 of 12 and the last 7.

That is four seasons, but still a small sample size when you consider all of the details. Two of the seasons are a first year of taking over a new program. This year was just year 2 of taking over a disaster. And of course, things were falling apart at Oklahoma there at the end. Regardless, just couldn't believe the actual results at the end. Is it young players hitting a wall? It seems possible but only to an extent. You would think that the results would be a little more mixed and spread out, even if the final records ended up being the same. Just so strange to me.

When Capel mentioned the wall a few weeks ago when everyone was excited, it now makes sense as to why. He had been through it three times prior to this collapse. Hopefully you can look back and still wonder how these seasons happened as wild exceptions after never experiencing it again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News