ADVERTISEMENT

Latest baseball commit is HUGE

MattP31

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2013
Ron Washington Jr is an OF from Texas and he committed to Pitt today. Late commit and a guy that wasn't a huge draft prospect this year- but just two years ago at this time this kid was one of the favorites for the first pick, not just first round but first overall.

What happened is that he was dominating the competition at an early age in part because he physically matured earlier than other kids. Obviously he came back down to earth and doesn't have a ton of physical projection left. But this kid was once seen as a 1.1 talent and has the polish of being a kid who played in all of the biggest national events against the top competition.

Arguably the biggest commitment for Pitt baseball in years excluding the ones that never made it to Pitt because of the draft.

With him and former Vandy transfer Liam Sabino in the lineup next year Pitt could have some quality offense.

Ron Washington Jr is an OF from Texas and he committed to Pitt today. Late commit and a guy that wasn't a huge draft prospect this year- but just two years ago at this time this kid was one of the favorites for the first pick, not just first round but first overall.

What happened is that he was dominating the competition at an early age in part because he physically matured earlier than other kids. Obviously he came back down to earth and doesn't have a ton of physical projection left. But this kid was once seen as a 1.1 talent and has the polish of being a kid who played in all of the biggest national events against the top competition.

Arguably the biggest commitment for Pitt baseball in years excluding the ones that never made it to Pitt because of the draft.

With him and former Vandy transfer Liam Sabino in the lineup next year Pitt could have some quality offense.
That is good news.

Ron Washington the former MLB manager/player is his father I believe. Jr has some impressive power potential.

He's not that Ron Washington's son. That was my first thought when I saw his name for the first time a few years ago. That Ron doesn't have children

Just a little info from somebody in Houston who watched Ronnie play for a very long time.

No relation to the former Rangers manager.

Jr is a bit of an enigma. Made the varsity team and started in the OF as a freshman, and he was indeed a man-child. I don't think he's grown since 8th grade. 6'1 200-215 since he stepped foot on a high school baseball diamond. The area where he plays is known as a very baseball strong district, so when a Fr makes varsity (starts) its not a common occurrence. He did have a big of a "soft" mid section early but he cleaned that up. The word on him is that he's always been a gym rat. Played mostly OF with a sprinkling of 3B early, but he's an OF & most likely a RF. Arm is very good for a HS kid, would translate well to college RF. Range/speed not so great. The other word is that he's a pretty arrogant kid, even for a baseball player and didn't take well to coaching.

The bat is what he is known for, but it is a bit overrated. Great FB hitter, but everybody here knew anything with a wrinkle would get him to chase. I've seen him take 90 at the letters and smash it in one AB then strike out on three straight average CBs the next. The smarter coaches in his district curved him to death and won most of the time. A lot of stats were padded against weaker teams.

Verballed to U of Texas as a freshman, transferred schools after his soph year. At one point after his soph year at the new school, he announced that he would be taking extra classes to graduate early, after his jr year. Baseball America had a good write up on that. Because of his reclassification into an earlier class, he had to give up his Texas commitment, so he then verballed to San Jacinto JC. Well it turns out, he didn't graduate early and the speculation was that he was told he wouldn't get drafted as highly as he thought he should be. Contrary to the original poster, I don't ever remember him being touted as a 1-1 candidate, outside of him and his dad. So he did return to his high school for his sr year and was draft eligible. He went undrafted & it wasn't due to signability issues. He has been clear in many interviews that he wanted to get drafted and signed. So the fact that he went 40 rounds and didn't get picked makes one wonder why.

The odd thing down here is that he ended up at Pitt, no offense meant. But the fact that he reopened his recruiting and no Texas schools scooped him up raised eye brows down here in some circles. One rumor around town is that there may have been some bridges burned in coaching circles during his initial recruitment, by either him or his dad. Who knows.

At the end of the day, the kid is pretty much physically maxed-out and there are definite holes in his game. That being said, if he works on those and takes to coaching, you may have scooped yourself a decent ballplayer.

Reactions: persp and Ronnyp91
He's not that Ron Washington's son. That was my first thought when I saw his name for the first time a few years ago. That Ron doesn't have children
So it is not the son of "nose candy" Ron Washington?

Just a little info from somebody in Houston who watched Ronnie play for a very long time.

No relation to the former Rangers manager.

Jr is a bit of an enigma. Made the varsity team and started in the OF as a freshman, and he was indeed a man-child. I don't think he's grown since 8th grade. 6'1 200-215 since he stepped foot on a high school baseball diamond. The area where he plays is known as a very baseball strong district, so when a Fr makes varsity (starts) its not a common occurrence. He did have a big of a "soft" mid section early but he cleaned that up. The word on him is that he's always been a gym rat. Played mostly OF with a sprinkling of 3B early, but he's an OF & most likely a RF. Arm is very good for a HS kid, would translate well to college RF. Range/speed not so great. The other word is that he's a pretty arrogant kid, even for a baseball player and didn't take well to coaching.

The bat is what he is known for, but it is a bit overrated. Great FB hitter, but everybody here knew anything with a wrinkle would get him to chase. I've seen him take 90 at the letters and smash it in one AB then strike out on three straight average CBs the next. The smarter coaches in his district curved him to death and won most of the time. A lot of stats were padded against weaker teams.

Verballed to U of Texas as a freshman, transferred schools after his soph year. At one point after his soph year at the new school, he announced that he would be taking extra classes to graduate early, after his jr year. Baseball America had a good write up on that. Because of his reclassification into an earlier class, he had to give up his Texas commitment, so he then verballed to San Jacinto JC. Well it turns out, he didn't graduate early and the speculation was that he was told he wouldn't get drafted as highly as he thought he should be. Contrary to the original poster, I don't ever remember him being touted as a 1-1 candidate, outside of him and his dad. So he did return to his high school for his sr year and was draft eligible. He went undrafted & it wasn't due to signability issues. He has been clear in many interviews that he wanted to get drafted and signed. So the fact that he went 40 rounds and didn't get picked makes one wonder why.

The odd thing down here is that he ended up at Pitt, no offense meant. But the fact that he reopened his recruiting and no Texas schools scooped him up raised eye brows down here in some circles. One rumor around town is that there may have been some bridges burned in coaching circles during his initial recruitment, by either him or his dad. Who knows.

At the end of the day, the kid is pretty much physically maxed-out and there are definite holes in his game. That being said, if he works on those and takes to coaching, you may have scooped yourself a decent ballplayer.

Perfect Game had him as 1st in his class for the 2017 draft a couple years ago

We just got a commitment from an 8th grade catcher from McAllen Tx! We're the SEC of baseball now! LOL http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/07/20/thursday-notebook/

This kid has some special numbers for his class defensively last summer(as in Top percentile in his class at the time and some were the best numbers in the class). He's got big power, most known for a HR Derby and hitting a moving car. Obviously a long way away but this kid is a big get- assuming he makes it to campus because right now he's one of the guys who could be drafted highly

Perfect Game had him as 1st in his class for the 2017 draft a couple years ago

100% correct insomuch as that PG had him ranked as the #1 prospect in his graduating class. This ranking was after his Freshman year. If you go back and look, his ranking fell each year thereafter & he went undrafted. These" scouting services" that rank 14 year olds often change. I can speak from personally seeing him as a Freshman that yes, he was a very impressive 14 year old. His peers caught up to him by the end of his Sr year.

He now is listed as the #127 prospect nationally. I don't know if he was drafted or not, but I believe the signing period for HS Seniors is over.

Originally committed to Texas. Then, Perfect Game had him committed to San Jacinto CC, so he must be a late qualifier.

Apparently, he reclassified to the 2016 class, which nullified his commitment to Texas. Then, he wasn't drafted so he reclassified back to the 2017 class and committed to San Jacinto. I read onescouting report which might explain why his stock is falling: He was very big and physically developed as a frosh, but hasn't grown much since. Now, other kids have grown and are comparable to him.

Still, Pitt doesn't get many, if any, top 150 prospects so he still is an upgrade.

We just got a commitment from an 8th grade catcher from McAllen Tx! We're the SEC of baseball now! LOL http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/07/20/thursday-notebook/

When I read the story, I assumed when he said Class of 2021, that would be his graduating class at Pitt, which would mean he is a senior. But, PSN said he is a high school 2021 graduate. I googled him, and he is in fact an 8th grader and did win a HR Derby. There even is a video of him hitting a car with a HR. Hard to believe we would offer an 8th grader and that he would verbal to us. But, the world of college sports is so insane who knows? The only logical explanation is family ties to Pittsburgh and/or Pitt. There is a Christopher Bernal who is Director of Player Operations for the Astros. I assume that is his dad.

Last edited:
There is a Christopher Bernal who is Director of Player Operations for the Astros. I assume that is his dad.

It's probably 350 miles from Houston to McAllen (McAllen is a border town). I mean it's possible that's his dad, but it seems really unlikely.

I just checked the Astros front office roster. Christopher Bernal no longer is listed. Apparently, they purged the front office in 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT