ADVERTISEMENT

Lazinger's List - UCF - 2019

jlazinger

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2011
These are so much more fun to write coming off a win! I was lucky enough to watch this in the sports book in AC with a PSU fan very loudly cheering against us. When we won I told him good game Sandusky :)
  • Great win. I mean, this had all of the elements of a game we let slip away in the past. Pickett really toughed this one out on a day when he probably didn't have his best stuff. I though Patti did really well in a very difficult spot. His TD was a great pass where he looked off the defender to get the window he wanted to throw. And Aaron Matthews with game winning TD throw. Not sure anyone had that play!
  • We had a much better day on the ground. I was actually surprised we ran for close to 200 yards. That being said, A.J. Davis absolutely cannot put that ball on the ground. We were up 21-0 and were driving for more potential points. Immediately let UCF back into a game where we would have had them on the ropes.
  • Another nice game for Mack but the player I'm really getting excited to see more of is Dontavius Butler-Jenkins (hereon known as DBJ so I don't have type that name out again). He looks the part and I think we're starting to see a little bit him learning what it takes to get open at this level.
  • Since special teams gave up a TD, I would say our defense holding UCF to 27 is a dream come true (with a short field not helping on the first TD). They went up and down the field on us last year and we came back with 6 sacks and 12 TFLs. We also had 5 pass knockdowns which can help. While I still think there were times you saw the "Florida speed" difference, we really bottled them up when you consider we held them around 200 yards less than their average prior to this game. I'm glad this series is over. Heather/Pat - no more Florida teams please.
  • I think the absolute best part about the defense was how stout they were on the last series. The game wasn't over w the "Pitt Special". UCF had time to drive for a game winning field goal and in four plays, we had a sack, incomplete, sack, 8 yard gain on 4th and 22. Crazy to think they are doing this without Weaver and Camp. When we talk about stability, this is the depth we haven't seen since Wanny left.
  • It wasnt' all good. Kessman needs to be replaced. He has now missed a FG in all four games we played. I don't think it's lost on anyone that the ball game is tied yesterday when we were driving for the win if he hits both of his FGs. At least good for him that it didn't bleed into XPs. He hit 57% as a freshman and was up to 78% last year. He's hitting at 37% this year and it's an issue. There isn't a single game on the rest of the schedule that I don't feel like we shouldn't win. While I realize 10-2 probably isn't realistic, I do think that in the close ones, we can't rely on this kid anymore although I have no idea if we even have options.
  • Looking forward to next being a nice, easy game with hopefully a lot of backups and "4 game freshmen" playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News