ADVERTISEMENT

Lazinger's Lists - 2023 Debut - The Wofford Warmup

jlazinger

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2011
That was pretty much everything you want from a game like this. No one seemed to be hurt. The team dominated like we expected, and we are 1-0 on the season. Some thoughts:
  • The caveat to all of my observations is going to be that it's Wofford. But it also wasn't long ago that we lost to Youngstown St. by 2 TDs under Chryst and then needed a long Ollison TD run to beat them another time.
  • Jurkovec is really calm in the pocket. Part of this is there wasn't much of a pass rush but he never panicked and really only made a few bad decision throws. He's way more athletic that I thought he was. There has been a lot of discussion about his strong arm but the impressive part was the touch on his passes. He spread it around, he hit players in stride, and down the seam of the field. He did miss Means on that one go route by overthrowing but I'd say he was good overall. I also like how he went through his progressions when the first read or two wasn't open. Veilleux went for it on his first pass throwing a go route to a guy that wasn't open but then seemed to settle down. I didn't love the amount of designed QB runs given the game score.
  • It took a while for the O line to really start opening up some holes in the run game. Possible this is just a first game warmup but hopefully its a non issue. I love using Che in the Quadree Henderson role on jet sweeps. I thought Carter was our best RB yesterday but I also think Jurkovec is adding a dimension as a running threat.
  • Talk about spreading the ball around! There were 22 completed passes yesterday to 13 different pass catchers. Great to see McConnachie get a TD on his first career catch. I feel really good about the TEs.
  • The defense was great. Wofford had 51 yards yesterday before whatever that last TD was. I thought Hayes, Kamara, O'Brien, Brima, DeShields, Okunlola and Devonshire all played well.
  • Not much to report on the kicking game but nice to see some consistent punting.
  • Next week is going to be a tougher game that I think most of us anticipated. Cincy put up 66 on Eastern Kentucky and their QB accounted for 7 TDs. Now, EKU could be total garbage but this will not be a cake walk. Hopefully we can take care of business so that we are 2-0 going to Morgantown. I don't think WVU is very good but you know how the rivalry games go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News