ADVERTISEMENT

Lazinger's Lists - 2024 home opener against Kent State

jlazinger

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2011
With the obvious caveats that it was only Kent State, here are some (belated) thoughts on the game:
  • Holstein threw maybe 2 bad passes all game that was one of the more impressive first taste of college action I can remember. The touch especially stood out.
  • I think we will need to limit Reid to 10 carries each game to keep him healthy. I mean, that kid is really unreal. Super fast and a home run hitter. I agree with the consensus that we don't need him returning punts. Losing Hammond and the RB recruit to Cuse late in the cycle is going to test the depth here. It wouldn't surprise me if we get a Jordan Whitehead level athlete in the backfield a few times a game if we have any injuries.
  • With the exception of the Mump put return fumble, I thought the pass catchers played well, especially Kenny Johnson. I think El Barto is going to be happy he came back.
  • Defense really only gave up 10 points if you take away the Mump fumble and not even looking at the dropped TD catch that was ruled complete. I thought Louis, Biles, George, Keye, Battle and Matlack all showed enough that I feel good about them going forward.
  • Even though the D only got 2 turnovers, they were all over the place and most of the time missed interceptions because we had too many players in one spot.
  • It's early and it's one week but if we beat Cincy, we could be looking at a great start. Obviously it's going to be hard to tell if WVU is bad or PSU is good but that game looks more winnable now too.
  • 1-0...lets' get to 2-0 and get some momentum going! Great to be back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.