ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Park on PCN

Cummings is starting to get on a heater with 13 points and multiple dimes as he leads all scorers in the 2nd quarter.

Lead pushed to 23 and counting.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Curious when they play a tough team. That’s a blowout. We don’t see blowouts like this in Michigan among the Detroit teams.

Last edited:
He looks like a total stud. Not sure we need a sharp shooting small forward from the portal. Our guards should fit that bill as well as Guillermo. Maybe we go after more of a slasher that can get to the rim.

I have been saying he is the real deal for a while. If you didn't watch the game, you see 7 of 8 from 3, and you think he is a great shooter. However, if you watched, you also saw 5 assists and a few fall away mid range jumpers. Point is, he is so much more than just a catch and shoot player. He and Thomas are super offensive players with a great handle that can create shots for themselves and others.

It's funny that you complimented Cummings, who will be a solid player, yet it offends some that a future lottery pick is obviously better.

Yeah, it's a sensitive bunch.

I mean, honestly, they could have picked who they wanted to score every possession. Meleek was being aggressive as hell early (I believe he had 11 points when Cummings still had 6), and then he just started passing/deferring more to his teammates. Only an idiot would use point totals to try and rank the players in a game like that.

Cummings did turn it up a few notches after I posted that, and I was impressed. Just thought Meleek showed more natural talent... which I think is fine; dude's a one and done lottery pick, as you mentioned. When he fills out a bit, he's going to be a problem for opponents.

Yeah, it's a sensitive bunch.

I mean, honestly, they could have picked who they wanted to score every possession. Meleek was being aggressive as hell early (I believe he had 11 points when Cummings still had 6), and then he just started passing/deferring more to his teammates. Only an idiot would use point totals to try and rank the players in a game like that.

Cummings did turn it up a few notches after I posted that, and I was impressed. Just thought Meleek showed more natural talent... which I think is fine; dude's a one and done lottery pick, as you mentioned. When he fills out a bit, he's going to be a problem for opponents.
Both very good players, for Pitt's purposes Cummings will be the better college player. Will be a good 4 year guy for sure that every fan of other teams' will be saying "He's still there?" 4 years from now.

After watching Carrington and Lowe this year, and now 2 threads going today wowing over Cummings, one thought keeps entering my mind………….SMF many many times saying we should never waste any time recruiting HS level players any longer, should be 100% transfer portal.

I guess there’s an exception to every SMF rule.

Both very good players, for Pitt's purposes Cummings will be the better college player. Will be a good 4 year guy for sure that every fan of other teams' will be saying "He's still there?" 4 years from now.
I think the ideal college players that can help teams (especially Pitt) are ones who are really good in college, eventually All Conf level like Blake & Burton. Even last years POY Wong a guy who was really good in college and may get an NBA look but far from a lock so they stay in college especially with NIL. In baseball I believe they call them 4A players…they can dominate the minors but are just missing something to be a regular in MLB.

A guy like Thomas you are really lucky if you get a 2nd year out of them. And even though theses types have higher upside, give me a 25 year old grown man like Burton over him even though Burton will never play in the NBA. The money spent on a Thomas type will get you 2 or 3 grown men ready to win now.

I think the ideal college players that can help teams (especially Pitt) are ones who are really good in college, eventually All Conf level like Blake & Burton. Even last years POY Wong a guy who was really good in college and may get an NBA look but far from a lock so they stay in college especially with NIL. In baseball I believe they call them 4A players…they can dominate the minors but are just missing something to be a regular in MLB.

A guy like Thomas you are really lucky if you get a 2nd year out of them. And even though theses types have higher upside, give me a 25 year old grown man like Burton over him even though Burton will never play in the NBA. The money spent on a Thomas type will get you 2 or 3 grown men ready to win now.
Bingo! Jay Wright was saying essentially saying same thing last night after the Kentucky game.

Reactions: 4upmc
He looks good. He's not even in the same stratosphere as Thomas.

The team doesn't seem to enjoy passing or playing defense. But Thomas is lengthy and smooth.
37 points later and Cummings is saying “hey guys, I can play a little too”. Terrific shooter. Already better than his brother. Pitt got a good one. Hopefully they get the other one too.

After watching Carrington and Lowe this year, and now 2 threads going today wowing over Cummings, one thought keeps entering my mind………….SMF many many times saying we should never waste any time recruiting HS level players any longer, should be 100% transfer portal.

I guess there’s an exception to every SMF rule.

2 things. I'd recruit a local kid who I felt would be a good player. Also, I'd recruit HS kids who I felt would be a positive contributor from Day 1. Ndiaye and Barnes are guys I wouldn't have offered. They need to go MM and transfer up.

Bingo! Jay Wright was saying essentially saying same thing last night after the Kentucky game.
Yep that made a big difference for Jay at Nova. Yes Cal did a horrible job coaching but his 3 true frosh guards crumbled when it mattered most. Shepard, Dilliagham & Wagner shot a combined 3-19. Meanwhile vets with less talent but lots of experience Reeves & Mitchell were their best players.

37 points later and Cummings is saying “hey guys, I can play a little too”. Terrific shooter. Already better than his brother. Pitt got a good one. Hopefully they get the other one too.
Do you think his brother at age 23 when he hit back to back to back or whatever triples against UNC in one of the biggest spots of the year wouldn't have hit wide open jumpers against HS kids yesterday? Why the need to compare them? Beebah could very well end up better than his brother but he isn't currently. Odd choice of words.

Reactions: rockypanther
2 things. I'd recruit a local kid who I felt would be a good player. Also, I'd recruit HS kids who I felt would be a positive contributor from Day 1. Ndiaye and Barnes are guys I wouldn't have offered. They need to go MM and transfer up.
I don’t know about a Ndiaye but it sure seems like Barnes will never see the court much.

Do you think his brother at age 23 when he hit back to back to back or whatever triples against UNC in one of the biggest spots of the year wouldn't have hit wide open jumpers against HS kids yesterday? Why the need to compare them? Beebah could very well end up better than his brother but he isn't currently. Odd choice of words.
It's hard to compare playing against college players and playing against freshmen and sophomores in high-school. Clearly college players are stronger and better. Having said that, Brandin does things that Nelly could never do. First and foremost, he is at least 6'3" maybe 6'4" if you count the hair. He has an array of moves around the basket (see the amazing left hand reverse layup). I think Brandin's height and length make him a better defender. I will hold off on claiming he is better than Nelly until we see him in a Pitt uniform. I followed their careers in high-school though and clearly Brandin was a much better player, hopefully it will translate similarly to the college level.

I've never weighed in on how good I think Cummings is. I'd say he looks excellent, in fact. I just think Meleek is better.
I think you have a bit of rankings bias. I think Cummings is really good. I mean maybe one of the best talents this area has produced in decades. I just think these "rankings" are not conditioned to jump up a kid 40-50 slots in their national rankings unless they committed to Duke/UNC/UK, etc.....

Reactions: Pittisit4me
It's hard to compare playing against college players and playing against freshmen and sophomores in high-school. Clearly college players are stronger and better. Having said that, Brandin does things that Nelly could never do. First and foremost, he is at least 6'3" maybe 6'4" if you count the hair. He has an array of moves around the basket (see the amazing left hand reverse layup). I think Brandin's height and length make him a better defender. I will hold off on claiming he is better than Nelly until we see him in a Pitt uniform. I followed their careers in high-school though and clearly Brandin was a much better player, hopefully it will translate similarly to the college level.
Nelly averaged 11 PPG for a round of 32 Pitt team. The disrespect he gets is insane. Brandin had the benefit of being the second best guard on the floor every game and not drawing the best defender. Nelly did not. It’s asinine + unfair to compare the 2 and basically how this board (and other fan bases) put unreasonable expectations on a recruit.

If he averages 11 as a senior on a round of 32 team he will be a success

Reactions: rockypanther
I think you have a bit of rankings bias. I think Cummings is really good. I mean maybe one of the best talents this area has produced in decades. I just think these "rankings" are not conditioned to jump up a kid 40-50 slots in their national rankings unless they committed to Duke/UNC/UK, etc.....
His opinion isn’t really an opinion. Cummings should be a really good to great college hooper. Thomas should be a really good to great NBA player. Just too different stratospheres for ceilings

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT