ADVERTISEMENT

LOL - Ref Mike Stewart just got called out by the ESPN announcers.....

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
during the UVA-UM game. For some reason Stewart felt the need to yell out something to the coaches during a stoppage even though he was across the court and another official was much closer. Sean McDonough pointed out that Stewart frequently likes to inject himself into games "when it doesn't seem to be necessary". Love it when these officials get called out.

during the UVA-UM game. For some reason Stewart felt the need to yell out something to the coaches during a stoppage even though he was across the court and another official was much closer. Sean McDonough pointed out that Stewart frequently likes to inject himself into games "when it doesn't seem to be necessary". Love it when these officials get called out.

For what it's worth, it's Mike Stuart. I'm not too familiar with him. He just started doing ACC games. But he did the Final Four either 2 or 3 years ago.

I've heard refs called out by name more this year than I can ever remember. Heard Jamie Luckie not too long ago and Ted Valentine got hammered the other day for being... well.... Ted Valentine.

For what it's worth, it's Mike Stuart. I'm not too familiar with him. He just started doing ACC games. But he did the Final Four either 2 or 3 years ago.
Sounds like McDonough has worked a lot of his games.

Stuart is the guy who T'd up Kevin Ollie and tossed him after he blew an obvious call. He seems like a real jerkoff from the games I have seen him.

Sounds like McDonough has worked a lot of his games.

He's a very prominent, top tier, ref -- just not one we've seen very often as Pitt fans. I'm not sure I can ever recall him doing one of our games since Dixon has been head coach.

I've heard refs called out by name more this year than I can ever remember. Heard Jamie Luckie not too long ago and Ted Valentine got hammered the other day for being... well.... Ted Valentine.
TV Ted. Master of the monitor review.

These refs can get called out as much as possible, but is there ever any accountability for when they do a bad job? Rarely it seems.

Reactions: pitt-girl
He's a very prominent, top tier, ref -- just not one we've seen very often as Pitt fans. I'm not sure I can ever recall him doing one of our games since Dixon has been head coach.
That's interesting. I hope we don't because I'm not sure I've ever heard McDonough saying anything like this and the delivery was quite clear that he isn't a fan. It just stuck out to me because usually the play by play guys don't say much of anything regarding the officiating.

It was a very weird moment of a hoops game - close, crowd very loud and intense, some really crazy calls both ways and suddenly he starts yelling something of no import to one of the coaches across the court and the entire crowd goes silent. Well, until they started to boo because he was holding up an in bounds play. It was very bizarre. (What was even funnier was Tony Bennet looking at the official right next to him and the guy basically shrugging his shoulders after it happened.)

That's interesting. I hope we don't because I'm not sure I've ever heard McDonough saying anything like this and the delivery was quite clear that he isn't a fan. It just stuck out to me because usually the play by play guys don't say much of anything regarding the officiating.

It was a very weird moment of a hoops game - close, crowd very loud and intense, some really crazy calls both ways and suddenly he starts yelling something of no import to one of the coaches across the court and the entire crowd goes silent. Well, until they started to boo because he was holding up an in bounds play. It was very bizarre. (What was even funnier was Tony Bennet looking at the official right next to him and the guy basically shrugging his shoulders after it happened.)

That is funny. Another funny thing I heard McDonough say once was "we better be careful or Curtis Shaw might throw us out of here too."

But I agree -- you don't often hear play by play guys saying something like that about an official.

That's because it is a thankless job. No real reward for being good except you get better games.
I assume they're being paid? Really it's like most things in life - if it's that thankless and they don't like it, well, then, don't do it. I have zero pity for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT