ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for some opinions of how to handle a situation...

I’m I the only 1 who thinks this is more nonsense? There’s been a more then 1 topic that’s total BS on this board.
Yep, like one of those letters in the old Penthouse magazines, "You guys are never going to believe what happened to me on my last trip to the laundromat! There I was minding my own business waiting for my clothes to dry when this knockout 10 with a Swedish accent came up to me and asked me if I had any extra quarters, well one thing led to another and ...................."

Just curious, what HS sport is practicing and having meetings on June 26? Are football teams permitted to hold practices two weeks after the previous school year ended?

My advice would be to not seek advice on anonymous message boards. I doubt that it would be your decision anyhow. Hopefully you are not just trying to stir up political talk on a forum where it is not welcome.
Schools have been playing in 7 on 7 tournaments all month. Whether they are officially sanctioned or not, they're being played.

Reactions: JS School
Just curious, what HS sport is practicing and having meetings on June 26? Are football teams permitted to hold practices two weeks after the previous school year ended?

My advice would be to not seek advice on anonymous message boards. I doubt that it would be your decision anyhow. Hopefully you are not just trying to stir up political talk on a forum where it is not welcome.
Not sure about PA, but HS teams are able to hold a certain number of practices in June & July. But no pads. Just helmets, t-shirts and shorts. Some teams sprinkle them out through the summer, some stack them all at the end of July and use some as their "conditioning" days so that they can get to full pads and hitting as soon as allowed (after 8/1). Our season starts earlier here than in PA I believe. We start on 8/18 with the first scrimmage (alternate 10 play possessions, then do special teams at the end) on 8/5 and the "preview" game on 8/11. So the summer practices are pretty important.

Reactions: JS School
Reading OP’s post again, the way it’s phrased it almost sounds as though the “meeting” earlier this week was with school officials, who are in favor of allowing the girl to use the locker room, and at the meeting the school officials informed the coach of the girl and parents’ preference, and also informed the coach that the school didn’t want to become a news story.

If that’s the case, and the purpose of OP’s post is to find support to justify opposing the school’s decision on personal grounds, then I think the tenor of my advice is very different.

If that’s the case, OP, delete this post and stop digging the hole that you’ve already dug. It’s never too late to put down the shovel.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
I have no reason to believe the OP has fabricated this.

I don’t think the OP was stupid for asking for thoughts/opinions.

No, he did NOT leak any info which could create legal liability.

Yes he should have immediately escalated the issue (and we don’t know that he didn’t).

Lay off guys - it’s an internet message board. People ask questions. He never said he was going to take action based on responses in this thread.

Don’t know why that irritates me. But it apparently did.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
I coached varsity girls and frankly I breathed a huge sigh of relief the day I resigned. Although I miss it significantly, this is a day and age that you’re at risk every day. I would have kicked this upstairs immediately. No way I’m handling that on my own and along with my staff. The AD is either in the next locker room or the office next store. It’s his/her job and I’d make sure it’s in his hands, and I don’t say anything else to the parents until a meeting with the AD and administration. And I don’t have any conversations with the parents without administration or the A.D. present.
I would have kicked this upstairs immediately.

So would anyone else-because that's what any school employee anywhere is required to do, and there is literally nobody that works at any school that would even have to ask for advise on this. The last place anyone would ever seek counsel for this issue would be from a couple hundred anonymous strangers on a Pitt football message board. And as other have pointed out, school is out for the summer, there are no school-sanctioned sports in progress now. And this poster has a demonstrated history of being an agitator on this particular topic. 1+1 = 2.

We all need to be better at spotting and calling out the B.S. that flows so freely and easily on internet forums.

What we really need to call into question is the motive for a poster to put something like this on this football message board. Weird, sick S.O.B. IMO.

Without getting into the details (because I do not want to embarrass the school, the player or her parents) I would like to get some opinions on how to handle a situation that I have unwilling been placed into.
Currently, I am the head coach of a varsity level sports team. I have held this position for a couple of years now. This past Monday, at a meeting after a team practice, I was told that the parents of one of the players on my team (a female) have requested that she be allowed to change into her equipment and uniform in the same locker room with the rest of her teammates (all males).
I told those present at the meeting, that this is something that I am not comfortable in doing. I asked why and was told that the girl and her parents feel that she is missing out on "team bonding" and "just feeling part of the team".
I explained to those at the meeting that the rules of the national governing body for the sport has already established rules in place for who can and can't be in a locker room. In fact, none of the coaching staff is allowed to be in the locker room one on one with one of players without a 3rd party being present. They said that there was nothing in the rules that they saw that would prevent what the girl and her parents were asking for.
I again told them that I would not be comfortable with having high school age boys and girls changing clothes in the same locker room at the same time. They told me that they didn't want to become a story on the local or national news over their decision. I told them that I needed to have a couple of days to think it through and I'd let them know of mu decision next week.
I just don't think that I can let that happen. It goes against everything that I believe in. I think that they are worried with all of the "woke" issues that we see daily on the news that they are truly afraid of saying no to the girl and her parents. As of right now (and I seriously doubt that I will change my mind) I can't agree with the request and I am fully ready to step down from being the head coach of the team. What are your opinions?
Ask the boys what they think. If they are comfortable , why not? Some sort of screen can be set up so the actual showering can be private. I’m surprised her parents are down with it.

Really?

H.S. football season ended in December. Doesn't start again until August.
It’s almost July. Football heat acclimation starts on August 7. The end of June doesn’t seem like an unreasonable time for these discussions to be had in anticipation of summer practice starting in about a month or so. Especially if the girl’s parents have already contacted the school about it.

Stick with your principles. Tell the young lady no and, if the parents wish, let them appeal to other school officials. DONT Resign.. You sound like the kind of coach our kids need.
This isn't about sticking with your principles, it's about sticking to the policy or policies of the school/district. Like many have stated - kick this upstairs and let the powers to be figure it out.

Schools have been playing in 7 on 7 tournaments all month. Whether they are officially sanctioned or not, they're being played.
With no coaches permitted and no access to school locker rooms and indoor facilities. I've seen 7 on sevens conducted by team captains or dads. It's against the rules for a coach to conduct any type of practice before August 1. And it doesn't happen on school property. The OP is a crock.

FOOTBALL – 6 classes
Heat Acclimatization August 8
First Practice Date August 15
Minimum Length of Preseason Practice 3 weeks
First Inter-School Practice or Scrimmage Date August 20
Maximum Number of Regular Season Inter-School Practices or Scrimmages 2
First Regular Season Contest Date August 26
Maximum Length of Regular Season 10 weeks
Maximum Number of Regular Season Contests 10
Last Regular Season Contest Date November 7
District Deadline November 12
First Round November 18 & 19
Quarterfinals November 25 & 26
Semi-Finals December 2 & 3
PIAA Football Championships December 8, 9 & 10

Out-of-Season Participation
All PIAA sports have a defined season. If your school Team conducts Practice and/or participates in Inter-School Practices, Scrimmages, and/or Contests outside that PIAA defined season, your school will be penalized

Almost every HS sport has some "voluntary" offseason program going on, right now and for certain sports, it's not that uncommon for a girl to be on a boys team. Wrestling comes to mind.

I think putting it in writing and kicking it upstairs is appropriate. It can be handled well if the administration chooses to do so. We had a situation like this at our redneck rural school that was more gender based and it was handled very well, IMO, with very little objection from anyone.

I have very mixed feelings about something like this but I also know that a lot of it depends on how expectations are set and how willing adults are to enforce them.

Really?

H.S. football season ended in December. Doesn't start again until August.
I’m pretty sure all Fall sports like football, soccer, Vball, cross country, and even hockey has summer long non mandatory conditioning which means they’re in their locker rooms before August and as early as the first week of June. Hockey isn’t PIAA sanctioned of course but the other sports are.

With no coaches permitted and no access to school locker rooms and indoor facilities. I've seen 7 on sevens conducted by team captains or dads. It's against the rules for a coach to conduct any type of practice before August 1. And it doesn't happen on school property. The OP is a crock.
Come on. Illegal practices and scrimmages have been going on for decades and with very rare exceptions, everyone just ignores it. They even report on the basketball leagues in the paper. Taking my kid to practice this afternoon. It's all done as "optional" and open to any student.

FOOTBALL – 6 classes
Heat Acclimatization August 8
First Practice Date August 15
Minimum Length of Preseason Practice 3 weeks
First Inter-School Practice or Scrimmage Date August 20
Maximum Number of Regular Season Inter-School Practices or Scrimmages 2
First Regular Season Contest Date August 26
Maximum Length of Regular Season 10 weeks
Maximum Number of Regular Season Contests 10
Last Regular Season Contest Date November 7
District Deadline November 12
First Round November 18 & 19
Quarterfinals November 25 & 26
Semi-Finals December 2 & 3
PIAA Football Championships December 8, 9 & 10

Out-of-Season Participation
All PIAA sports have a defined season. If your school Team conducts Practice and/or participates in Inter-School Practices, Scrimmages, and/or Contests outside that PIAA defined season, your school will be penalized
Pretty sure coaches are permitted all summer long, but just can’t run formal drills and make thing’s mandatory.

I have thought about quite a bit over the last 24 hours or so and have just decided to resign. I have contacted the appropriate person and made them aware of my decision. What happens beyond that is not my concern. All of the other folks involved can work out the remaining issues between them. Hopefully this issue will work itself out in a manner that satisfies all involved.
I do thank those of you who offered your opinions on the subject. I had pretty much made my decision that night but I wanted to just see what other people not involved would say to see if I was being to "old school". Thanks for your opinions.
H2P!!!

Come on. Illegal practices and scrimmages have been going on for decades and with very rare exceptions, everyone just ignores it. They even report on the basketball leagues in the paper. Taking my kid to practice this afternoon. It's all done as "optional" and open to any student.
Mt Lebo under Bob Palko was practicing in pads year round.

Reactions: pittdan77
I have thought about quite a bit over the last 24 hours or so and have just decided to resign. I have contacted the appropriate person and made them aware of my decision. What happens beyond that is not my concern. All of the other folks involved can work out the remaining issues between them. Hopefully this issue will work itself out in a manner that satisfies all involved.
I do thank those of you who offered your opinions on the subject. I had pretty much made my decision that night but I wanted to just see what other people not involved would say to see if I was being to "old school". Thanks for your opinions.
H2P!!!
Wouldn't be my choice but I cannot fault you for doing what you feel is right for yourself.

Ultimately, the parents who would be impacted by this are the ones who should make the decision, not a school board. The parents can escalate it upstairs and voice their views, if they're so inclined. Then the powers that be will abide by what the parents say. This isn't a school board or administration decision. It's up to the parents.

Ultimately, the parents who would be impacted by this are the ones who should make the decision, not a school board. The parents can escalate it upstairs and voice their views, if they're so inclined. Then the powers that be will abide by what the parents say. This isn't a school board or administration decision. It's up to the parents.
They can choose to keep their kid out of the sport. The admin and school board are tasked with considering every student's needs and deciding on what they feel is best. There isn't enough information here to determine why this request is being made or if there isn't an underlying agenda. Not sure the fact that this is a girl asking increases the potential for stupidity in the locker room given some of the crap we read about every year between kids of the same gender. There has to be a reasonable solution.

H2P!!!

I'm sorry you were forced to make a decision like that and resigned. It's a sad day when good people are lost because the desires of a very small minority (one person) are even being remotely considered over the desires of the vast majority. All while a valued coach is forced to leave.

Good luck to you and don't let this deter you. Hold to your principles.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Come on. Illegal practices and scrimmages have been going on for decades and with very rare exceptions, everyone just ignores it.
But how many head coaches would be dumb enough to voluntarily admit to doing that on a message board, unprompted, by starting a thread mentioning it?

But how many head coaches would be dumb enough to voluntarily admit to doing that on a message board, unprompted, by starting a thread mentioning it?
I'd say it's pretty anonymous, here. Then again, Duzz was tweeting about the 7v7 tournaments held at Pitt over the weekend. The local one was promoted by the HS coach on the teams Facebook page. There is an article in the Altoona Mirror today talking about all the HS girls teams that are rivals that are meeting in the summer league. If these things aren't really legal, nobody actually cares.

Yep, like one of those letters in the old Penthouse magazines, "You guys are never going to believe what happened to me on my last trip to the laundromat! There I was minding my own business waiting for my clothes to dry when this knockout 10 with a Swedish accent came up to me and asked me if I had any extra quarters, well one thing led to another and ...................."
What??? So you’re saying that those ”Letters to Penthouse” weren’t true?!? o_O

You seriously don't believe fall sports teams practice for one week before starting the season do you? Just about everyone has voluntary workouts during the summer. Heck, basketball teams practice and play tournaments all summer.

You coach. That is your job. Let your employer set and define the parameters of your job. Follow those rules and have the superintendent on speed dial if they direct you to proceed.

If you really don't want the bullshit of these crazy parents, resigning is a good idea. You aren't quitting, you're avoiding a costly and potentially very damaging situation to yourself.

Reactions: passedout
You coach. That is your job. Let your employer set and define the parameters of your job. Follow those rules and have the superintendent on speed dial if they direct you to proceed.

If you really don't want the bullshit of these crazy parents, resigning is a good idea. You aren't quitting, you're avoiding a costly and potentially very damaging situation to yourself.
No way I'd resign, that's quitting ultimately. I do agree, let the district define parameters and you coach. Report in writing any and all issues, no matter how trivial.

Without getting into the details (because I do not want to embarrass the school, the player or her parents) I would like to get some opinions on how to handle a situation that I have unwilling been placed into.
Currently, I am the head coach of a varsity level sports team. I have held this position for a couple of years now. This past Monday, at a meeting after a team practice, I was told that the parents of one of the players on my team (a female) have requested that she be allowed to change into her equipment and uniform in the same locker room with the rest of her teammates (all males).
I told those present at the meeting, that this is something that I am not comfortable in doing. I asked why and was told that the girl and her parents feel that she is missing out on "team bonding" and "just feeling part of the team".
I explained to those at the meeting that the rules of the national governing body for the sport has already established rules in place for who can and can't be in a locker room. In fact, none of the coaching staff is allowed to be in the locker room one on one with one of players without a 3rd party being present. They said that there was nothing in the rules that they saw that would prevent what the girl and her parents were asking for.
I again told them that I would not be comfortable with having high school age boys and girls changing clothes in the same locker room at the same time. They told me that they didn't want to become a story on the local or national news over their decision. I told them that I needed to have a couple of days to think it through and I'd let them know of mu decision next week.
I just don't think that I can let that happen. It goes against everything that I believe in. I think that they are worried with all of the "woke" issues that we see daily on the news that they are truly afraid of saying no to the girl and her parents. As of right now (and I seriously doubt that I will change my mind) I can't agree with the request and I am fully ready to step down from being the head coach of the team. What are your opinions?

So what happened?

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT