ADVERTISEMENT

Low SMU TV ratings

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I get that they are playing bad teams in the American but these numbers are staggeringly low:

Week 1 vs LT 72K (lowest rated game of the week)

Week 4 vs TCU 269K but 4th lowest

Week 5 vs Charlotte 18K lowest

Week 9 vs Tulsa 33K lowest

Week 10 vs Rice 29K lowest

As they say, that aint good.

cant be, they own the Dallas market and every one of their alumni are multi millionaires who will give their fortunes to SMU"s NIL fund..

guaranteed national champs in 2025... stamp it.

cant be, they own the Dallas market and every one of their alumni are multi millionaires who will give their fortunes to SMU"s NIL fund..

guaranteed national champs in 2025... stamp it.

I think they have potential due to their millionaires and DFW recruiting but these numbers are worrisome. Their attendance is bad but when you throw in low TV numbers, they may have the fewest eyeballs on them than any other team in America.

I dont mean to throw SMU under the bus like this but they are 7-2/5-0. You'd think they'd generate at least a little interest in Dallas, forget nationally. The numbers they are putting up are similar to a WPIAL Friday Night game on 22 The Point. Maybe we should have added Central Catholic.

I think they have potential due to their millionaires and DFW recruiting but these numbers are worrisome. Their attendance is bad but when you throw in low TV numbers, they may have the fewest eyeballs on them than any other team in America.

I dont mean to throw SMU under the bus like this but they are 7-2/5-0. You'd think they'd generate at least a little interest in Dallas, forget nationally. The numbers they are putting up are similar to a WPIAL Friday Night game on 22 The Point. Maybe we should have added Central Catholic.
in some weird way, i'd actually like to see SMU become a powerhouse. new ACC program, would rather see them than a miami or UNC become a perrennial power.

The only people in Dallas-Forth Worth who care about SMU are their alumni and that alumni base is tiny in the grand scheme of things. Even in the "Pony Express" days they played in a half full Texas Stadium and Longhorn and Aggie fans took over the stadium when they came to town. It was a dumb knee-jerk reaction by the All Cracker Conference braintrust when they added them.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The only people in Dallas-Forth Worth who care about SMU are their alumni and that alumni base is tiny in the grand scheme of things. Even in the "Pony Express" days they played in a half full Texas Stadium and Longhorn and Aggie fans took over the stadium when they came to town. It was a dumb knee-jerk reaction by the All Cracker Conference braintrust when they added them.

I hated the addition because I felt its a waste of a spot when they can raid the B12 in a few years when Colorado goes to the B10 or SEC and their new TV contract goes down. SMU bought their way in by not taking TV revenue. So, a school like Pitt will get, what $2-$3 million extra every year for awhile but is that really worth it to add a team no one cares about?

All this said, I think they can overtake TCU if they get good. TCU only had like 1 sellout in its history before they joined the B12. It was a joke of a program until they started getting good about 15 years ago in the Mountain West. The 269K number for SMU/TCU was so bad though. 6.5 million people and only 4% tuned in for a game between the 2 biggest programs in the Metroplex and it was lower than that because obviously the game had some viewers outside DFW.

The only people in Dallas-Forth Worth who care about SMU are their alumni and that alumni base is tiny in the grand scheme of things...Even in the "Pony Express" days they played in a half full Texas Stadium and Longhorn and Aggie fans took over the stadium when they came to town.... hmm, reminds me of some other urban university with a long ago heyday and a half empty stadium...

The market only matters when the team is actually in/near NY or LA. SMU doesn't do much for the ACC. Not even sure why they were added

If their alumni are rich enough and they are your typical ten-gallon southern football obsessed Texas hillbillies, they might be able to buy a championship team even with few fans, bandwagon jumpers will join if they start winning big. Especially now that buying the players is legal.

Reactions: jctrack
If their alumni are rich enough and they are your typical ten-gallon southern football obsessed Texas hillbillies, they might be able to buy a championship team even with few fans, bandwagon jumpers will join if they start winning big. Especially now that buying the players is legal.

Yea, I think they will be near the top of the ACC pretty quickly but not sure anyone nationally will care to watch. I guess the model for them is Miami. No one in South Florida cares about the Canes. Ok, they do get 20K-30K at their games but they are a blue bloodish brand name. When they are competing for national titles, they only draw 40K. I guess the difference is that Miami developed a national bandwagon following. Its essentially too late for SMU to do that because the Miami's, FSU's, and ND's bandwagon fanbase developed when the only ones on TV every week.

Didn't it used to be 'all about the eyeballs' ? lol
Isn't that why Rutgers got picked over Pitt?

Nobody cares about Rutgers. Pitt got picked over Rutgers for the ACC. Then the B10 wanted Maryland. At the time, no other ACC school would have left for the B10 and many Md folks were upset. So their only choice was Rutgers. They had no other options. If the B10 thought it could get FSU or UNC or whoever, they would have. They could now. But not then.

You are ignorant

Reactions: FireballZ
Nobody cares about Rutgers. Pitt got picked over Rutgers for the ACC. Then the B10 wanted Maryland. At the time, no other ACC school would have left for the B10 and many Md folks were upset. So their only choice was Rutgers. They had no other options. If the B10 thought it could get FSU or UNC or whoever, they would have. They could now. But not then.
I was an upset Maryland person! They left the ACC before there was a chance to see Pitt visit College Park for a football game.

The ACC got swayed by the idea to hold all the non revenue sports between the west coast and the east coast schools at SMU. Kind of the USFL approach of playing everything in one place.

CCHS recruits better!

I really think that after they are in the ACC every aspect of their program will improve. Recruiting won’t be a problem because as said they can buy whoever. They might come to the ACC as a power, who knows? This school is about as committed to being a big time program as it gets. Bypassing all monies for almost a decade? I wish we had half of the commitment they have and to think big…I like the idea of them being the “mid” point for the conference as well. My question is who will be their “rival” in this conference as it stands for next year? After the B12 media deal expires does the ACC poach any schools specifically for SMU to have a partner?

I really think that after they are in the ACC every aspect of their program will improve. Recruiting won’t be a problem because as said they can buy whoever. They might come to the ACC as a power, who knows? This school is about as committed to being a big time program as it gets. Bypassing all monies for almost a decade? I wish we had half of the commitment they have and to think big…I like the idea of them being the “mid” point for the conference as well. My question is who will be their “rival” in this conference as it stands for next year? After the B12 media deal expires does the ACC poach any schools specifically for SMU to have a partner?
SMU can't buy whoever they want, it's not like Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma will take some moral high ground and not pay anyone. SMU will also have to compete with Baylor and TCU for players and those school have an advantage of being in located in the center of their conference not some outpost like SMU will be. It was a dumb move by the ACC.

• Haha
Reactions: pbrad and FireballZ
I get that they are playing bad teams in the American but these numbers are staggeringly low:

As they say, that ai

Yep the ACC can really pick em. Don't worry we also got the 2 west coast teams that play to half filled stadiums.

SMU can't buy whoever they want, it's not like Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma will take some moral high ground and not pay anyone. SMU will also have to compete with Baylor and TCU for players and those school have an advantage of being in located in the center of their conference not some outpost like SMU will be. It was a dumb move by the ACC.

I don't totally agree. The SWC was all cheating back then but SMU was able to pay more than the others. It pissed off the Texas and OU so they turned them in. Could SMU overtake Texas, OU, A&M? No. But they could be the #4 program down there. It really wouldn't take a lot to surpass OK St, TT, TCU, Baylor, Houston.

Who cares

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT