ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Pletcher’s Win Streak Ends At 23

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Lost to PSU’s Nick Lee, who probably will replace him as #1. He looked to be in control of the match early, with a takedown and an escape after 1 second when Lee started the 2nd period on top. Then, Lee got a takedown late in the 2d period, and it appeared that Pletcher got hurt on it. He really made no attempt to escape in the final 30 seconds. In the third period, he started on top but let Lee up. I think he was trying to avoid an injury default because he took almost no shots for the rest of the match.

It was the second time I saw him this year, and he looked to lack his usual quickness after Lee’s takedown. If he is injured, hopefully it isn’t serious.

PSU won 20-16. Each team won 5 bouts but Mark Hall got a pin and Vincenzo Joseph and Aaron Brooks won majors. Kolin Moore got the only bonus point for tOSU. Brooks is going to be a monster.

This week, four former WPIAL wrestlers were ranked #1: Spencer Lee, Pletcher, Vincenzo Joseph and Iowa’s Michael Kemerer. After Pletcher’s loss it likely will be three. Still a very good showing with 10 weight classes.

Last edited:
Lost to PSU’s Nick Lee, who probably will replace him as #1. He looked to be in control of the match early, with a takedown and an escape after 1 second when Lee started the 2nd period on top. Then, Lee got a takedown late in the 2d period, and it appeared that Pletcher got hurt on it. He really made no attempt to escape in the final 30 seconds. In the third period, he started on top but let Lee up. I think he was trying to avoid an injury default because he took almost no shots for the rest of the match.

It was the second time I saw him this year, and he looked to lack his usual quickness after Lee’s takedown. If he is injured, hopefully it isn’t serious.

PSU won 20-16. Each team won 5 bouts but Mark Hall got a pin and Vincenzo Joseph and Aaron Brooks won majors. Kolin Moore got the only bonus point for tOSU. Brooks is going to be a monster.

This week, four former WPIAL wrestlers were ranked #1: Spencer Lee, Pletcher, Vincenzo Joseph and Iowa’s Michael Kemerer. After Pletcher’s loss it likely will be three. Still a very good showing with 10 weight classes.

it’s interesting that if pletcher wins OSU would have won the dual. I wouldn’t have thought that going in.

it’s interesting that if pletcher wins OSU would have won the dual. I wouldn’t have thought that going in.

Before the match the announcers said to win tOSU needed to win the two bouts between unseeded wrestlers, and PSU needed bonus points. Ohio State won both of those matches — at 125 and 157; but PSU beat them on bonus points, 5 bonus points to 1. Ohio State won the Hwt bout, where they were the underdog. But, Pletcher’s loss was the difference. Bravo-Young, Joseph, Hall and Brooks were dominant.

PSU and Iowa in both the Big Ten championships and the NCAAs is going to be a dogfight. Brady Berge for PSU is coming off an injury, but if he is healthy they only have one weak spot in their lineup. Iowa doesn’t have a wrestler ranked lower than #8 and they have either 8 or 9 ranked in the top 4. But, I think PSU has 5 guys who potentially can win titles, and I think Iowa only has 4. And, 3 of them will be going head to head, DeSanto and Bravo-Young at 133, Joseph and Marinelli at 165 and Hall and Kemerer at 174.

I watched the match on BTN. Nothing was said about an injury. It looked like Pletcher just ran out of gas late in 2nd period.

Reactions: persp
Lee gasses everyone it's just his style I dont think Pletcher was hurt I think he just lost to another guy having a great year.

Reactions: persp
I didnt think Pletcher was hurt either. Lee just imposed his will down the stretch and Pletcher had no answer. I really thought Lee was going to turn him with that wing at the end of the second. I came away from that match super impressed with Lee

Reactions: lucac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT