ADVERTISEMENT

Lyke will be on the fan Tuesday at 7am

And you know this how? Please enlighten me with your direct firsthand experience on this.

You hear a lot about who has shitty attendance and who’s stadium looks half full. Even announcers sometimes comment on it.

I have never heard one time of anyone other than people on message boards disparaging anyone for tarping their stadium. If it hadn’t been pointed out to me I wouldn’t have realized USC and Miami are doing it. It is a total non issue.

I’m not even sure if I’m totally in favor of it or not, I just know that saying it would have a negative effect on recruiting is stupid. Almost as dumb as saying it cost too much money.

Why haven't there been any "leaks" "coaches spotted" visiting the campus?

You realize that even if we already had the next coach in the bag there would be absolutely no way at all (unless he's someone who isn't coaching right now) that he would have been on campus for anyone to spot, right?

[QUOTE="Joe the Panther Fan, post: 2212814, member: 278"]I will, without hesitation.
Ok so here's what we'll do since we don't know one another but we all post on here.

If Stalling outlasts Lyke Joe the Pather Fan and all the posters who "liked" his post can't post for three weeks. And you can't set up "fake" clever names like Jose the Panther Fan etc.

If it goes the other way Mrs Buffett and I can't post for three weeks. Good we'll have more time to work on our golf games and get our kayaks and fishing stuff in order since the weather is getting nice.

I think she wants to fire Stalling but if PITT won't allow Lyke to get rid of Stalling for financial or other reasons she'll be singing the:
Lemonheads Song - I Just Can Take It Anymore

Paul Anka also sang the song!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams![/QUOTE]

Before you agree to this make sure you understand what it means. When all the rumors are swirling about who the next coach will be you will not be able to post about who you want or don't want. During the first couple weeks of the NCAA tournament you won't be able to post about what is going on. Perhaps if we hire someone in the tournament and his team loses in the first week or two and we make a hire you might not be able to comment on it for some time afterwards. However if you understand the consequences of self-banning yourself for three weeks then by all means, have at it.

Reactions: Dr. Stephen Poop
Ok so here's what we'll do since we don't know one another but we all post on here.

If Stalling outlasts Lyke Joe the Pather Fan and all the posters who "liked" his post can't post for three weeks. And you can't set up "fake" clever names like Jose the Panther Fan etc.

If it goes the other way Mrs Buffett and I can't post for three weeks. Good we'll have more time to work on our golf games and get our kayaks and fishing stuff in order since the weather is getting nice.

I think she wants to fire Stalling but if PITT won't allow Lyke to get rid of Stalling for financial or other reasons she'll be singing the:

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Before you agree to this make sure you understand what it means. When all the rumors are swirling about who the next coach will be you will not be able to post about who you want or don't want. During the first couple weeks of the NCAA tournament you won't be able to post about what is going on. Perhaps if we hire someone in the tournament and his team loses in the first week or two and we make a hire you might not be able to comment on it for some time afterwards. However if you understand the consequences of self-banning yourself for three weeks then by all means, have at it.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the information! And you are a great poster and I do read all of your posts!

I issued my bet request early today but now there's lots of new info including some "inside baseball" from PacoTheCrazyMan so the odds have shifted right?

So I'll keep my mouth shut and let's see what happens but I do agree the consensus is that Stalling is Gone!

The other worms didn't respond but you did! LOL!

Thank you for the response!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Before you agree to this make sure you understand what it means. When all the rumors are swirling about who the next coach will be you will not be able to post about who you want or don't want. During the first couple weeks of the NCAA tournament you won't be able to post about what is going on. Perhaps if we hire someone in the tournament and his team loses in the first week or two and we make a hire you might not be able to comment on it for some time afterwards. However if you understand the consequences of self-banning yourself for three weeks then by all means, have at it.[/QUOTE]
Let’s make it 6 months .
I’m in

And exactly how will that picture look that much different on the plus side with tarps??

This is an example why message boards suck.

Now you know that I know that tarps won’t make a difference in that picture.

You also know that my point for showing that picture wasn’t to say tarps would help that scene but that it was in direct response to those that say tarps will be used against us in recruiting.

Anyone who thinks that he use of tarps is worse than that is......let’s just say not being honest or lacking problem solving skills.

Finally to your point. Last years There were several games where my two seats were the only two in the entire row being used. That isn’t fun for anyone. We need to condense the fans, create a better environment, and betr e experience for the fans.

We do NOT have 65,000 fans.

This is an example why message boards suck.

Now you know that I know that tarps won’t make a difference in that picture.

You also know that my point for showing that picture wasn’t to say tarps would help that scene but that it was in direct response to those that say tarps will be used against us in recruiting.

Anyone who thinks that he use of tarps is worse than that is......let’s just say not being honest or lacking problem solving skills.

Finally to your point. Last years There were several games where my two seats were the only two in the entire row being used. That isn’t fun for anyone. We need to condense the fans, create a better environment, and betr e experience for the fans.

We do NOT have 65,000 fans.

To play devil’s advocate, the problem for football (and now basketball, somewhat) isn’t so much tickets sold, as much as ticketed fans actually showing up. I would bet many seats in your row (even if not all) are sold, even if nobody ever sits there. Tarps don’t solve that problem unless you implement general admission seating.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
To play devil’s advocate, the problem for football (and now basketball, somewhat) isn’t so much tickets sold, as much as ticketed fans actually showing up. I would bet many seats in your row (even if not all) are sold, even if nobody ever sits there. Tarps don’t solve that problem unless you implement general admission seating.

That’s certainly the case....

They are sold. The games aren’t fun for the fans. I have a young family with lots of Saturday commitments and can’t even give tickets away most times. And when I do, people comment that no one was there. I went to a game last year and no one was in my row.

200w.gif

aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-gif-10PcMWwtZSYk2k

I find it interesting that the eventual new coach's name, whether after this year or after next year, probably hasn't been mentioned yet. The same thing happened the last time we went bobbing for apples to find a new coach. We can all hope for this coach or that coach, but my money is on the guy no one has mentioned yet.

He gone. She's made a few good hires so far, so it will be interesting to see her make a major hire.

As far as tarping, of course coach wouldn't want to do it. And with Lyke only being here for a year, I'm guessing/hoping she will try to fill the stadium for a few years rather than giving up from day 1. but she didn't completely close the door on it either.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
[QUOTE="BuffetParrothead, post: 2212813, member: 23369]She is smart.????????? [/QUOTE]

And there you have it folks... a woman disparaging another woman. WTF is wrong w/ you? Whether you like it or not - she is our AD. Show some goddamn respect!

Yeah, that's ugly but tarping won't do a damn thing to improve that picture or the atmosphere.
50k inside a stadium in which the people are in close proximity rather than what we currently have in which 18k empty yellow seats are exposed accentuating the issue. It is much easier to get louder when there are 100 other people in the section making noise as opposed to 5 in the section.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
That’s certainly the case....

They are sold. The games aren’t fun for the fans. I have a young family with lots of Saturday commitments and can’t even give tickets away most times, and when I do, people comment that no one was there. I went to a game last year and no one was in my row.

200w.gif

aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-gif-10PcMWwtZSYk2k
Agree with this completely. I just don't think tarps provide any value. The only one I might consider is a big one over the upper deck bleachers in the north end zone, and that's just to get a huge script Pitt visible. The 500 displaced fans aren't fixing the rest of the stadium.

Agree with this completely. I just don't think tarps provide any value. The only one I might consider is a big one over the upper deck bleachers in the north end zone, and that's just to get a huge script Pitt visible. The 500 displaced fans aren't fixing the rest of the stadium.
The Upper Deck opposite the camera. That will take capacity to low-mid 50,000’s.

50k inside a stadium in which the people are in close proximity rather than what we currently have in which 18k empty yellow seats are exposed accentuating the issue. It is much easier to get louder when there are 100 other people in the section making noise as opposed to 5 in the section.

Getting 50k to show up is the problem. If they could, tarps wouldn't be a discussion.

Now we're on the same page. I used to think cheap tickets was a good idea until I realized it wasn't a cost problem. It's an interest problem.

Anytime Pitt has built up attendance they shit the bed.

Now we're on the same page. I used to think cheap tickets was a good idea until I realized it wasn't a cost problem. It's an interest problem.

Anytime Pitt has built up attendance they shit the bed.

I actually have contemplated if cheap tickets is actually one of the problems...

Yeah, bleachers are a no brainer especially since can't do endzones. They're bleachers, hard to get to, wouldn't displace many, and would be easy security wise. Steve should of did it from day one.

Yeah, bleachers are a no brainer especially since can't do endzones. They're bleachers, hard to get to, wouldn't displace many, and would be easy security wise. Steve should of did it from day one.

You guys and gals do know that a significant minority of Pitt fans do not want to sit in crowded rows and sections? They complain they can't see the action when people in front stand and cheer. They also get annoyed by having people climbing over them to get in or out of their row and by fans sitting behind them who might slosh drinks or spill food on them when those fans stand up to cheer. All these things spoil their game day experience. o_Oo_Oo_O

[QUOTE="BuffetParrothead, post: 2212813, member: 23369]She is smart.?????????

And there you have it folks... a woman disparaging another woman. WTF is wrong w/ you? Whether you like it or not - she is our AD. Show some goddamn respect![/QUOTE]

Just to clarify a few points.

First clarification- I'm a guy since I sign my posts with Mr Buffett. My wife is Mrs Buffett who occaisionally posts and signs her posts Mrs Buffett. She's a Colorado State grad former Alpine ski team member, on a CSU alum sports focus group and posts on that site alot.

We both respect positions like the AD but before we cast our compentency vote we like to see some results. So we always respect positions but the people ( regardless of gender, race or religion) in those positions must earn our respect.

Second clarification- Like the "fake news" outlets of today you highlighted one sentence out of context.

The context was based on early inaccurate postings in this thread indicating Lyke gave Stalling a "meeting expectations" grade in her interview which has been debunked after about 20 more posts. If she gave him that performance rating in the interview it would be unlikely that she'll fire him two weeks or so from now!

Now after reading an article posted by The Crazy Paco and reading other accurate posts I do think Lyke will fire Stalling and didn't box herself in as I posted.

Plus the sentence that you highlighted was posted by another poster not me.

As I replied I added the ??? after the sentence so you misrepresented what I posted. Go back and read the entire post.

Got it!? Good!
Have a nice day, remainder of the week, and weekend!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Pitt can and has averaged 50k at Heinz when they had a good team. The key is to create some buzz. It is too easy for people to blow off buying season tickets because single tickets are always available.

We desperately need a title chase. It is a pro-town and that's what fans here relate to. I'm not even talking final four. Just need to be in it until the last week of the season to win the coastal and play in the ACC championship. Casual fans would hear "trip to the ACC championship game on the line by beating North Carolina this week at Heinz" and the place would be rocking.

Think about it, the friggin Pirates have a more recent history of a title chase. Ours is 2009. It needs to happen at the latest next season.

It is. We need to reduce supply via tarping and then raise prices. The current tickets don't mean much.
Actually the Economic Theory for tarping is to take away seats which should increase the Demand for seats and result in higher prices for all seats.

That works if the fanbase stays the same or increases, can't wait to have the product and wants tickets.

Apple does this successfully with their phones. They advertise their products build up the hype, announce new iPhones, tell customers you can't have one because we can't make them fast enough, the customer base can't wait to get theirs based on the Hype, stays the same or expands allowing Apple to raise prices on phones every year.

We should try this but we need a product we can Hype!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

And there you have it folks... a woman disparaging another woman. WTF is wrong w/ you? Whether you like it or not - she is our AD. Show some goddamn respect!

Just to clarify a few points.

First clarification- I'm a guy since I sign my posts with Mr Buffett. My wife is Mrs Buffett who occaisionally posts and signs her posts Mrs Buffett. She's a Colorado State grad former Alpine ski team member, on a CSU alum sports focus group and posts on that site alot.

We both respect positions like the AD but before we cast our compentency vote we like to see some results. So we always respect positions but the people ( regardless of gender, race or religion) in those positions must earn our respect.

Second clarification- Like the "fake news" outlets of today you highlighted one sentence out of context.

The context was based on early inaccurate postings in this thread indicating Lyke gave Stalling a "meeting expectations" grade in her interview which has been debunked after about 20 more posts. If she gave him that performance rating in the interview it would be unlikely that she'll fire him two weeks or so from now!

Now after reading an article posted by The Crazy Paco and reading other accurate posts I do think Lyke will fire Stalling and didn't box herself in as I posted.

Plus the sentence that you highlighted was posted by another poster not me.

As I replied I added the ??? after the sentence so you misrepresented what I posted. Go back and read the entire post.

Got it!? Good!
Have a nice day, remainder of the week, and weekend!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
[/QUOTE]
Are there really any posts that are guaranteed accurate ?
Unless Pitt has their man signed sealed and delivered I don’t see any early announcements . Let’s just assume KS was a done deal and there really wasn’t any national search , Pitts last coaching hire they were forced to sign an untested assistant after not being able to land a nationally known coach when Ben Howland left and Pitt was a plum job then . Pitt needs to proceed very carefully here , the last thing they need to do is fire KS only to find everyone they want doesn’t want the job . There’s already enough embarrassment surrounding the program .

Actually the Economic Theory for tarping is to take away seats which should increase the Demand for seats and result in higher prices for all seats.

That works if the fanbase stays the same or increases, can't wait to have the product and wants tickets.

Apple does this successfully with their phones. They advertise their products build up the hype, announce new iPhones, tell customers you can't have one because we can't make them fast enough, the customer base can't wait to get theirs based on the Hype, stays the same or expands allowing Apple to raise prices on phones every year.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

The best situation Pitt can find itself would be if for the fanbase starts complaining that there aren't enough seats available because some of them are covered. If the program can get to this point of complaining, instead of complaining about the uniforms, or opponents, or AD, or whatever, then that's a big success. Unfortunately, Pitt isn't likely to get there because they struggle to get out of their own way when it comes to football.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
Except the IPhone X just crashed that model because the product was overpriced for the value and demand disappeared.

Which, unfortunately may be a good description for our football program.

When fans literally cannot give tickets away, suggesting restricting supply to create demand and raising prices is beyond absurd.

We've seen the absolute hardcore fan demand is maybe 20,000 seats. That includes students, whose attendence is subsidized by "free" transportation and some complimentary concessions. The number of actual full-freight paying fans who might be willing to pay increased ticket prices is possibly something like 10000-15000 tickets.

I understand marketing theory of that approach is fairly common, but I believe we simply do not have the basic demand.

The first task is CREATING the demand. Winning games at more than 6 or 7 wins per year is the first step. If we get to 8-10 wins regularly, maybe we attract enough fans that we could consider applying marketing theory.

Personally, I disagree with the concept that discounted tickets cost us fans. I think part of the reason Heinz basically sold out the first couple years was the HIGHLY discounted End Zone bleacher packages. Those seats were packaged at less than $10 per ticket and marketed to kids and families. If you get those young fans in the stadium and entertain them with WINS, you might create increased demand for better seats.

If we can start drawing 45k to a typical game, the tarping issue becomes moot.

Plus, I agree with DCPanthers post above that a significsnt portion of Pitt fans DON'T want to sit in a crowded section or row. I do not agree that "condensing" the crowd improves the fan experience in ANY way. I just don't buy the idea that being shoulder to shoulder with other fans does anything but make many people uncomfortable.

Look, I'm bigger than average. I'm not huge but I overflow my seat. My knees are frequently hitting the shoulders of the guy in front of me and the guy behind me is often getting a restricted view of anything other than the back of my head. I buy an extra seat so my shoulders and elbows are not grinding into people on both sides of me. I sit on the end of our group, with my extra seat empty between me and my friend. That helps, but doesn't help the guy on my other side. I'm pretty sure they're uncomfortable too, since no one ever renews that seat. I have new people there every year.

Throw in more crowded concession and restroom lines and all of the ills DC raised and there ARE lots of reasons AGAINST packing fans together.

Last edited:

Winning programs solve the tickets are sold but people aren't showing up problem.

But establishing a winning program takes time.

In the absence of a winning program or programs (football & basketball) its the responsibiltiy of the AD and others in PITT athletics to generate some excitement and give people a reason to show up.

Promotions, or give aways during the game especially in the 4th qtr or after the game might help. Give away PITT stuff, season tickets, maybe club seats, free food for both programs.

Partnerships with local businesses are possible to provide fans with the chance to win larger prizes.

Possible partnerships with the Steelers, Pirates, PENS to give away tickets to those games in the 4th qtr or after the game.

The objective is to get the people to the place now which would help in lots of areas especially recruiting, and in the meantime work on offering a better product than what currently exists!

Mrs Buffett and I go to a casino located on the beach all year round which is dead in the winter except when they run a promotion.
So to get people to the place in the winter they work with local businesses and give away cars, trips, free dining, big money, big money BINGO 10k payouts etc.

On those weekends they pack them in during the winter,
The business get the publicity and the casino gets the people!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

When do we start discussions on tarping the Pete. Maybe turn the lights down in the upper decks to get that intimate court look

Before you agree to this make sure you understand what it means. When all the rumors are swirling about who the next coach will be you will not be able to post about who you want or don't want. During the first couple weeks of the NCAA tournament you won't be able to post about what is going on. Perhaps if we hire someone in the tournament and his team loses in the first week or two and we make a hire you might not be able to comment on it for some time afterwards. However if you understand the consequences of self-banning yourself for three weeks then by all means, have at it.
Let’s make it 6 months .
I’m in[/QUOTE]

No post for 6 months.
Cmon buffethead

If Lyke can’t even make the decision to tarp the football field you know she doesn’t have the backbone to fire Stallings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT