ADVERTISEMENT

Article Mack and Ffrench look to pump up the volume - lots of stats in this one

Behind Ffrench and Mack, seemingly a whole bunch of guys who seem to be in a holding pattern developmentally.....just not a position, much like TE, where Pitt has accomplished a lot the last several years either in recruiting or developing players. Also a position, where if a player has talent, it doesn't take 2-3 years to show it. Not surprisingly the WR coach got the ax.

Behind Ffrench and Mack, seemingly a whole bunch of guys who seem to be in a holding pattern developmentally.....just not a position, much like TE, where Pitt has accomplished a lot the last several years either in recruiting or developing players. Also a position, where if a player has talent, it doesn't take 2-3 years to show it. Not surprisingly the WR coach got the ax.
Eh, I'm not sure if you can make that judgment just yet. The 2016 class is Maurice Ffrench and Aaron Mathews; we've seen what those guys can do. The 2017 and 2018 classes, though - both were subject to last year's offense where the three leading receivers ranked 13th in the ACC in passing targets per game. So I think it's tough to draw a lot of conclusions about what those guys can do or where they are in their development.

Reactions: freddietee511
Eh, I'm not sure if you can make that judgment just yet. The 2016 class is Maurice Ffrench and Aaron Mathews; we've seen what those guys can do. The 2017 and 2018 classes, though - both were subject to last year's offense where the three leading receivers ranked 13th in the ACC in passing targets per game. So I think it's tough to draw a lot of conclusions about what those guys can do or where they are in their development.

Not sure where some are in their development but wherever they are, they need to take a big step forward this season !

I put the “holding pattern” on Watson, the old WR coach and somewhat the combo of KP and the Oline. I think there is excellent talent at WR and it may take a couple games, but then the passing game is going to be good if the OTs can play at least average...

Besides Mack and Ffrench, I look for bigger contributions from Mathews, Tipton, Shocky, and Carter. And maybe Butler-Jenkins.

Mack, Ffrench, Shocky, and Carter — should really be able to test defenses with all the speed they have - IMHO...

Go Pitt.

Tough to get out of your holding pattern when the OC is doing much of the holding. I am very anxious to see how this situation develops under Whipple.

Guys like Butler-Jenkins, Michael Smith and Jacques-Louis need to show some productivity this year and I'm not talking aboput being good down field b
Tough to get out of your holding pattern when the OC is doing much of the holding. I am very anxious to see how this situation develops under Whipple.
makes 2 of us!

Guys like Butler-Jenkins, Michael Smith and Jacques-Louis need to show some productivity this year and I'm not talking aboput being good down field b

makes 2 of us!
I still expect Ffrench and Mack to get the bulk of the looks, but you are dead on about the other guys. Also expect Aaron Mathews to have a pretty big year. I think he will be used a whole lot more. And his downfield blocking is excellent.

I put the “holding pattern” on Watson, the old WR coach and somewhat the combo of KP and the Oline. I think there is excellent talent at WR and it may take a couple games, but then the passing game is going to be good if the OTs can play at least average...

Besides Mack and Ffrench, I look for bigger contributions from Mathews, Tipton, Shocky, and Carter. And maybe Butler-Jenkins.

Mack, Ffrench, Shocky, and Carter — should really be able to test defenses with all the speed they have - IMHO...

Go Pitt.
Ffrench is pretty much the fastest player on the field in all games. 4.3 or something like that I recall?

Ffrench is pretty much the fastest player on the field in all games. 4.3 or something like that I recall?

Based on the eye test, I might pick Shocky to nose-out Ffrench in a 40-yard dash, but would be interesting to know the times on these guys...

Pitt has done a pretty good job lately of finding some speedsters...

Go Pitt.

I think those that are expecting this 30 year coach that nobody on this board had ever heard of prior to his hiring at Pitt to be some kind of offensive messiah/savior are likely to be disappointed. On top of that, he’s not exactly inheriting am embarrassment of riches especially at his most important position. Upgrade over Watson? That wouldn’t be too hard to pull off. Turning us from what we were last year into a suddenly formidable offense? That’s a different story.

I think those that are expecting this 30 year coach that nobody on this board had ever heard of prior to his hiring at Pitt to be some kind of offensive messiah/savior are likely to be disappointed. On top of that, he’s not exactly inheriting am embarrassment of riches especially at his most important position. Upgrade over Watson? That wouldn’t be too hard to pull off. Turning us from what we were last year into a suddenly formidable offense? That’s a different story.
WTF are you talking about? Whipple was a coach for the Steelers, and was in the news quite a bit.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Based on the eye test, I might pick Shocky to nose-out Ffrench in a 40-yard dash, but would be interesting to know the times on these guys...

Pitt has done a pretty good job lately of finding some speedsters...

Go Pitt.
Yet we looked like we were wearing concrete boots against PSU, UCF, Clemson and Miami.

The game is about team speed. Everyone has a couple of guys who can fly. The good teams have em all over the field, including along the DL.

Whipple had a very good rep when he was hired. I don’t know where you get that no one heard of him. For cripe sakes the man was a Steeler coach when Ben was starting out. Whether he will jump start this offense or not remains to be seen but I don’t know why it seems to bother you that fans are optimistic.

Whipple had a very good rep when he was hired. I don’t know where you get that no one heard of him. For cripe sakes the man was a Steeler coach when Ben was starting out. Whether he will jump start this offense or not remains to be seen but I don’t know why it seems to bother you that fans are optimistic.

He's still bitter that we are going on 5 years since the B1G scored in a playoff game.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

Whipple is a known commodity for anyone who has watched college football. In addition to winning a Super Bowl in Big Ben's second season, he was recently HC at UMass. In week 1, their QB went 23-31 for 231, 2TD, and an INT....and the game was at Georgia. Hell, we'd be thrilled if our QB put up 231 and 2 TDs against Georgia State. Whipple also put two WR into the NFL while at UMass. He knows what he's doing.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Whipple is a good coach and those who pay attention to the game likely knew of him. As coordinator hires at Pitt go (often poorly) I was heartened by the hire.

But expecting miracles from him seems crazy.

Whipple is a good coach and those who pay attention to the game likely knew of him. As coordinator hires at Pitt go (often poorly) I was heartened by the hire.

But expecting miracles from him seems crazy.
Seriously upgrading the offense would not qualify as a miracle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT