ADVERTISEMENT

Max Browne has potential.

SchmidtyNole

Walk-on
Feb 19, 2007
I think Max Browne has all of the tools. The problems is he lacks experience. I think that is why Narduzi is sticking with him. He should continue to get better as the season goes on.

Pitt could win 7 games. They might lose 7 games. You want to spend a season like that giving a 1 yr. Player experience?

Great point. We aren't winning anything this year. More than likely we're looking at 6 wins so we might as well give the keys to the QB of the future and let him take his bruises this year.

Pitt could win 7 games. They might lose 7 games. You want to spend a season like that giving a 1 yr. Player experience?
His lack of experience is more in relation to lack of experience in Pitt's offense. But pulling him would be akin to Pitt throwing in the towel on the season. In my opinion, you do that when you've lost 4 games, not when you just suffered your first loss of the season.

There is very little offensive talent in the passing game.

The deep threat WR is dropping deep balls (Weah).
There's no dependable mid-range receivers or 3rd down guys (the transfer TE's drop passes, WR Tipton is out for the yr).
Quadrey Henderson is not Ryan Switzer on offense, he's only Ryan Switzer on special teams.
Pass protection is not good (right side of OL is porous and RB's not good at picking up blitzers).

This is not a a good situation for an immobile pocket passer.

Great point. We aren't winning anything this year. More than likely we're looking at 6 wins so we might as well give the keys to the QB of the future and let him take his bruises this year.
The QB of the future and most likely starter in 2018 is being redshirted this year.
It most likely does not matter whether it is Browne or Dinucci as neither is expected to be starting next season.

Reactions: FireballZ
If they think Dinucci is the future then thats probably the way to go. He has had the time in the offense to know what he needs to do, its just a matter of him gaining playing experience. But if they think tmac or picket are the future then it becomes more complicated. Those two might simply not be to the point that playing now will help them in the future. Tmac was really raw coming in and Picket has only been here a few months.

Browne lacks game experience, which is why Pitt should have opened up the offense against Youngstown St. Now you're throwing Browne into tough situations against Penn State and Oklahoma State where he is going to have to make some big throws if Pitt is going to win. The tools are all there, but his decision making, mechanics, and pocket presence all need quite a bit of work.

I would be fine if they stick with Browne, but use DiNucci in the Red Zone. DiNucci can make plays with his feet and makes quicker decisions that need to be made in the Red Zone.

Browne lacks game experience, which is why Pitt should have opened up the offense against Youngstown St. Now you're throwing Browne into tough situations against Penn State and Oklahoma State where he is going to have to make some big throws if Pitt is going to win. The tools are all there, but his decision making, mechanics, and pocket presence all need quite a bit of work.
Its not only experience but he seems to lack the "natural instincts" required to be good college QB. Like " know when to hold it and know when to fold it, run it etc."
The first throw in the Nitter game was an example of one he floated in instead of gunning one and if that receiver was covered "natural instinct" QB's have other options lined up ( run it, another receiver, etc). Anything would have been better than an interception.
Browne appears to be a slow decision maker which sometimes in an incurable disease for a college or any QB!

Last edited:
Reactions: phxpanther
You play the QB who will help you win now. Period. The idea that you play someone other than the best option today because that option is the "future" is absurd. No coach anywhere would take that approach.

Now, it debatable whether the best option is Browne or DiNucci. Based on what Narduzzi said after the game about DiNucci, I think he is close to making the switch.
Oh, and Browne moving all the way across the country for another chance has zero impact on how much longer he should, or will play. Coaches will play the guy who gives them the best chance to win.

The conference schedule is very favorable- to say we aren't winning anything this year after 2 games is completely defeatist.

You play the players who provide the best chance to win now.

The question is whether that's Browne or DiNucci.

I agree he has a lot of talent. I don't think it's inexperience though. Maybe to a degree, but he's played the game at this level before and still makes mistakes high school kids shouldn't make. I'm afraid best case scenario he will be the type of player that will leave you in awe after perfectly placing a bomb into the receiver's hands halfway down the field, only to turn around and give the ball back to the other team the very next play. Really my biggest concern with Browne is that he doesn't seem to have great control of the huddle.

We need to toss out the vanilla thing in our openers and sharpen our timing and all else that gives us a running start in our first big game(s).

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
We need to toss out the vanilla thing in our openers and sharpen our timing and all else that gives us a running start in our first big game(s).
Wait until next year, how Milli Vanilli you think we are going to be against the Albany Great Danes with UPS up the 2nd game?

He had enough good throws and had enough passes dropped that you start him and give him a couple series on Saturday. You have to give DiNucci some reps though. Both are very far from being adequate but DiNucci can get better with more reps. His mobility is also an asset in certain situations where Browne is utterly ineffective. Its just to late to change Browne's delivery and pocket awareness.

Normally, I'm against switching QB's in and out. Its an admittedly terrible idea in most cases. Unfortunately, we don't have any good options. This staff's QB recruiting has been a disappointment.

Wait until next year, how Milli Vanilli you think we are going to be against the Albany Great Danes with UPS up the 2nd game?
You kind of lose the element of surprise when you have the same OC the next year.

Hopefully for the first time in 3 years we have the same offensive coordinator next year as we do this year, so we don't have much to hide in the first game.

Unless we're installing yet another new offense and playbook over the offseason, which would be another huge setback, all of our 2018 opponents will have plenty of video on us, and there won't be much if anything to hide. We will be better off running most of our playbook against a sacrificial lamb and getting the execution right for future games.

I know receivers dropped the ball and that didn't help Browne at all...however, I said it before and will say it again. DiNucci has the "IT" factor. Hell, I could feel the energy sitting on the other side of the TV when he came it. The kid is a gamer. To me, Browne has no presence.

I know Pitts goal is still intact even if we start 1-2. However, they need to stick with whoever the QB is at the end of OSU. GT is up next and that is when it counts!

Play the QB that will give Pitt the best chance to win. This should be decided by GT.

It is already decided. Ben DiNucci is the clear choice. Every snap Browne gets is a wasted snap for 2018. 2017 is going to be 7 - 5 at best so get next years qb some experience.
DiNucci could potentially be next season's QB. Though, I actually think, unless he starts and is very successful this season, one of either current FR or RS FR has a very, very real chance of winning the job instead.

has potential? Uh yeah, I'd hope to hell he did because if he didn't, he shouldn't be on this roster. lets' raise the bar here a bit guys. "has potential?" lets just put "has potential" in the GIVEN category for our starting QB..

Maybe he will finally be looking like a good QB at the bowl game, right in time for the NFL draft. Then we can groom another 5th year transfer next season while flaunting the Pitt QB talent in the NFL!

Reactions: RHS14
Maybe he will finally be looking like a good QB at the bowl game, right in time for the NFL draft. Then we can groom another 5th year transfer next season while flaunting the Pitt QB talent in the NFL!
We have two QBs in the NFL. One is a backup in Buffalo and one played so poorly on Sunday that he got benched for a rookie 30 minutes into the season. We got nothing to flaunt at the QB position.

Reactions: Swervin27
I'm sticking with my opinion on this one. Give Browne another shot... If Pitt's line/pass blocking schemes continues to lack cohesion AND he continues to perform like deer in headlights when pressured, then his days as starter are probably over after this coming Saturday. Regardless of all of this... Definitely should install packages and use said packages v. Okie St. for DiNucci. UNLESS, for some bizarre reason, Browne is just playing a phenomenal game. Honestly though, even then, I'd install packages for DiNucci.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
I may hit the lottery tonight but most likely not going to happen. He has the tools but he has happy and slow feet. Let's see if he has a better game against Ok St.

I may hit the lottery tonight but most likely not going to happen. He has the tools but he has happy and slow feet. Let's see if he has a better game against Ok St.
Everything you mentioned is correct except I think its more than his feet are slow which impacts quick decision making and isn't "fixable."

I don't know if Ben has the IT factor but there has to be a reason the team picked Browne as a captain this year. I wonder about Ben's decision making and throwing mechanics. He looks like he can run and move around the pocket.

I don't know if Ben has the IT factor but there has to be a reason the team picked Browne as a captain this year. I wonder about Ben's decision making and throwing mechanics. He looks like he can run and move around the pocket.
First off who is Ben?
Second a lot of teams pick a guy for Captain who they hope steps up big which can make or break a team and a season!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT