ADVERTISEMENT

Means is Kipers favorite WR in the draft

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
In an espn article today, Kiper has Bub as his favorite WR.

Has him going in 3rd round.

Guess Mel didn’t see Bub play much.

I could see means playing in the nfl easily for a decade. His numbers would have been much better with competent QB play last year.

I got into it with someone in just about every game thread about this. So many people thought he sucked. No, our quarterbacks sucked.

Judas Jurkovec stuck it to Pitt thrice. Twice by not coming here, and once by coming here (that was the big one).

Last edited:
I got into it with someone in just about every game thread about this. So many people thought he sucked. No, our quarterbacks sucked.

Judas Jurkovec stuck it to Pitt thrice. Twice by not coming here, and once by coming here (that was the big one).
Our QBs may have sucked but, I’m sorry, Bub never struck me as a top level polished receiver. Had the speed but route running and hands not quite there. You know, how you could describe a good number of receivers.

I could see means playing in the nfl easily for a decade. His numbers would have been much better with competent QB play last year.
He surely has the size and speed, but seriously needs to improve his route running. He didn’t do his QBs any favors. Remember the Cincinnati game?

I saw Bub short arm at least a half dozen balls in an attempt to avoid a hit last season. He's average at best in my opinion but physically looks like a million bucks

Bub was much improved in 2023.

Not making that difficult (but not impossible) TD catch against Tennessee in 2022 changed the complexion of that game and also the season. Although Slovis getting hurt right before half time also had a big affect on game and season. So many what ifs in that game....but a win there and it would have been a very interesting season.

Our QBs may have sucked but, I’m sorry, Bub never struck me as a top level polished receiver. Had the speed but route running and hands not quite there. You know, how you could describe a good number of receivers.

He was way better in '23. Was running outs and making contested catches, etc. Think it was Lousville when I started noticing how strong his hands got. He wasn't just a straight like burner as he had been in the past. His teammates talked him up last Spring, and they were right. And we already knew he had the size and speed. I think he can be good at the next level.

The look like a million bucks crew.

Means and Kamara were on the same path to nowhere. Means started to catch passes for the final 7-8 games.

Wishing him (Means) luck on the upswing. Maybe Kamara will learn there is more than being Mr Fitness and learn the game.

Sounds like a contradiction, his favorite receiver but going in the 3rd round. Must be a ‘value’ pick.
Mel historically overvalues measurables versus whether a guy is a difference maker on the field. Let’s put it this way-Amon Ra St. Brown was a 4th rounder. Bub will never be anywhere near the NFL player St Brown is.

Bub might stick around a while. He might get flushed after his first NFL training camp. Consistency and production matter.

Not making that difficult (but not impossible) TD catch against Tennessee in 2022 changed the complexion of that game and also the season. Although Slovis getting hurt right before half time also had a big affect on game and season. So many what ifs in that game....but a win there and it would have been a very interesting season.
It kind of changed the whole direction of the program didn't it?

I blame it on the officials as much as anything. The pass wouldn't have been thrown if Slovis didn't know he had a freebie.

Mumfield dropping a pass at the 5 yard line where he could have walked into the endzone also was a killer (settled for 3 on that drive).

But yeah, a win against UT (it was there for the taking) with Slovis not getting hurt and it is most likely a return to Charlotte. But it is spilt milk under the bridge now (bonus if anyone know which movie that line is from)

It kind of changed the whole direction of the program didn't it?
That’s a bingo.

And I realize it’s the age old question of receivers vs QB…but Bub did little to help his QB’s before the pass and after it. And our QBs here won’t get any love from me so I’m not defending them either. I’m just saying Bub wasn’t a standout here as a #1 and If he couldn’t be a standout in the college game with those measurables, I’d be shocked if he can do it at the next level. I’ll happily eat crow though.

Go up and make the catch. NFL caliber receivers do.

Yeah, and they *cough, Diontae Johnson* also let multiple touchdowns go through their hands each season.

I don't remember the tail end of it enough to comment on whether or not it should have been caught, but I recall having a much bigger issue with the official than with Means.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
That’s a bingo.

And I realize it’s the age old question of receivers vs QB…but Bub did little to help his QB’s before the pass and after it. And our QBs here won’t get any love from me so I’m not defending them either. I’m just saying Bub wasn’t a standout here as a #1 and If he couldn’t be a standout in the college game with those measurables, I’d be shocked if he can do it at the next level. I’ll happily eat crow though.
Bub and his concrete mittens will do nothing in the league

Yeah, and they *cough, Diontae Johnson* also let multiple touchdowns go through their hands each season.

I don't remember the tail end of it enough to comment on whether or not it should have been caught, but I recall having a much bigger issue with the official than with Means.

I agree, terrible missed call by the refs. And it was a difficult catch but as FK mentions an athletic, NFL caliber receiver makes it. But we've also seem Johnson, er, multiple NFL receivers miss a catch like that so I guess Means gets a mulligan but man that would have been a difference maker for the season.

I think most of us will root for Bub to make that leap to the next level.

But generally speaking, what separates college players from the pros is the ability to adapt to the next level. Most have the athletic ability and the tools but they can’t make that transition and step their game up even more. Bub just doesn’t have the tools yet so in my opinion he will have a rough time. But as someone said above, with his measurables he will get more time in the league to try to grow and adapt.

But to the point of the OP…I’m not sure he was anyone’s favorite WR while he was at Pitt. I guess by default he was. But if that’s the case how in the hell can he be anyone’s favorite in the deepest WR draft in years? Lol. Kiper will Kiper.

If Means is a 3rd round caliber receiver, shouldn’t he have separated himself as the go-to receiver — bad QB play or not? He’s good enough to be in a camp, but a 3rd rounder?

If Means is a 3rd round caliber receiver, shouldn’t he have separated himself as the go-to receiver — bad QB play or not? He’s good enough to be in a camp, but a 3rd rounder?

He did, in my opinion. Jurkovec couldn't hit the Baltic Sea in stride.

That's why I think Mel Kiper gets paid big bucks for doing an absolutely useless job.
Mel Kiper gets paid the big bucks because he is really really good at his job. His job is NOT to predict who gets drafted where or who will be a good NFL player. His job is to get people interested in the draft, combine and pro days so that ESPN and the NFL can make money off football year round. Mel Kiper is a big reason as many people are obsessed with the draft as they are today.

Mel Kiper gets paid the big bucks because he is really really good at his job. His job is NOT to predict who gets drafted where or who will be a good NFL player. His job is to get people interested in the draft, combine and pro days so that ESPN and the NFL can make money off football year round. Mel Kiper is a big reason as many people are obsessed with the draft as they are today.

Kiper is to the NFL draft what Joe Lunardi is to the NCAA basketball tournament. Neither needs to actually be any good at what they do. Luckily for both of them, that isn't really the job.

In an espn article today, Kiper has Bub as his favorite WR.

Has him going in 3rd round.

Guess Mel didn’t see Bub play much.
means took a beating on this board but his qb play was subpar particularly last year.

Like I said previously, he’s not on any top 35 WR boards. 3rd round picks aren’t taken on iffy receiver prospects. He is raw and inconsistent.

Call the next case.

Speak as you might to a small child, or a golden retriever. It wasn't brains which got me here I can assure you of that.

One of the most under-rated movies of all time!

EDIT: Later in the movie he recites off the top of his head every financial crash in the past 400 years. Typical CEO speak, lol, making people think he isn't bright.

Last edited:
I don't think Means is a Day 2 WR but keep in mind the NFL is looking for traits and not necessarily production. Means is going to go earlier than a lot of dudes who outproduced him. The NFL simply doesn't value system based compilers like Malachi Corley the way the dude a huge, fast, downfield guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT