ADVERTISEMENT

Mixed Emotions

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
Thoughts:

1. It really sucks to lose this one. Hopefully it will be a major wake-up call.

2. Nichols State is possibly much better than prognosticators assumed pre-season. That West VA grad transfer and the other grad transfer appear to perhaps make that so. Or, at least, I am tending to believe they are better. If it was only one game for them I would just believe it a fluke. But when you perform at this high a level twice in succession on the road (Illinois and today) the odds on just being flukiness diminish.

3. Poor Pitt defensive effort level in the 1st half. Capel will drill his unhappiness over that into them, in practice we can be sure.

4. We aren’t going to win many when we give up 41 in the first half and 75 total points. We don’t yet have enough offense to overcome that kind of thing.

5. Johnson’s play was awful for most of today.

Despite the loss, there were a few good things today:

1. Murphy continues to prove he is even more valuable an addition than we thought. Without him it would have been even uglier today.

2. Brown continues to look much improved.

3. Champagnie still looks like a player who will help us.

4. Drumgoole and Coulibaly at least “got their feet wet.”

5. That level of 3-ball success (11 for 24 overall and 7 for 14 in 1st half) for an opponent shouldn’t happen regularly. The odds are against it.

One final thought—

Nichols did too well on the boards against us and scored too easily inside. I would like to see us play both Hamilton and Brown together some to mitigate against that kind of problem. Maybe trying that will need to wait until Coulibaly develops to where Capel believes he can hold his own if either Brown or Hamilton get in foul trouble, however.

Last edited:
Geez, without Ryan friggin' Murphy, we'd be 0-2 with 2 blowout losses at the Pete. This is a stange start to the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT