ADVERTISEMENT

Article Monday Notebook: Holstein's brilliance, Reid's ridiculous numbers, and more

JimHammett

All P I T T !
Staff
Dec 4, 2012
The best freshman in the country

I don’t know if people need to mince words anymore about Eli Holstein. The Pitt quarterback is having the best season of any freshman in the country. I don’t know if he is the best freshman with respect to Alabama’s Ryan Williams, but Holstein is having the best season in terms to a team’s success, the position he plays, and how he is playing it.

Holstein is one of two quarterbacks in the entire country averaging 300 yards passing per game with an undefeated record. The only other being Cam Ward of Miami. That’s the bottom line, though. He is not just playing well for a freshman quarterback, Holstein is up there with the best.

Holstein broke Pitt's single game freshman passing total, with 381 yards and three touchdowns against North Carolina, giving him 1,564 yards, 15 touchdown, and three interceptions on the year.

Dual threat?

Eli Holstein’s passing has obviously been the driving force of his success, but his running has to start getting talked about more and more. He is up to 265 yards on the season, and leads Pitt with three rushing touchdowns. It’s the best rushing total for a Pitt quarterback since Nate Peterman posted 286 yards and three touchdowns in 2016.

At the North Carolina postgame press conference, Holstein sat down, looked at the stats, and immediately did a fist bump. He admitted he was checking on his rushing stats.

“I only lost one yard,” Holstein said. “That’s not too bad. I’ll take that.”

After only gaining one rushing yard in the opener, he has rushed for 59 yards or more over Pitt’s last three games. He was Pitt’s leading rusher against North Carolina with 76 yards on only ten carries.

More....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.