ADVERTISEMENT

More Bowls? you got'em

Will be interesting to see how Lyke handles it going forward.
Barnes seemed to lean to over more I guess.

you think we'll get better recruits if we play more MAC teams and more D1-AA teams? you really think that? how do I even take such an argument serious?

no one is happy with 5-7 but your suggestion is to put lipstick on a pig. we need to fix the issue, not cover it up with a mickey mouse schedule.

So kids feel better watching the school that's recruiting him have 60 dropped on them as half the crowd is dozing off and the national media craps all over you for a freebie for anyone that stays versus handling a pedestrian game you should win? Not sure how you're luring a big time player if you can't show them you're at least capable of winning. At this point, I can't decide if you're a masochist or you just like to argue because Pitt has been playing a tough schedule for a few years now and has one, unranked recruit, on June 12th.

you think we'll get better recruits if we play more MAC teams and more D1-AA teams? you really think that? how do I even take such an argument serious?

no one is happy with 5-7 but your suggestion is to put lipstick on a pig. we need to fix the issue, not cover it up with a mickey mouse schedule.
Yes, I absolutely do believe our program would be far better off if we were 9-3 in 2015 via beating a cupcake than 8-4 with a loss to Iowa. Same for being 9-3 in 2016 via beating a cupcake than 8-4 with a loss to OkState. We would most definitely have benefitted from being 6-6, instead of 5-7, by beating a cupcake rather than get shellacked by OkState and having ESPN show our (few) fans asleep in their seats. And those examples are just the 1 game differences. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a little more to give and beat UNC in 2016, so we go 10-2 and look worlds better nationally. Maybe last year, we don't look so pathetic against GT after the embarrassment against OkState and we are even 7-5 and get bowl, which gives us a chance to go 8-5.

I think there is a legitimate argument that just 1 game a year change has us at 9-4, 10-3, and possibly 8-5 under Narduzzi and looking much, much better than 8-5, 8-5, 5-7. There is no doubt that is more attractive to recruits and plays much, much better nationally.

There’s no season like bowl season

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!

I don’t think beating Lehigh or Ball State by 50 attracts any more quality recruits than losing big to OK State or Central Florida does

I think they would use Coastal Carolina's stadium which seats around 15K with expansion plans to 20K. Pretty tiny for a bowl game, though I think the Bahamas Bowl stadium was smaller. Didn't realize Coastal Carolina had such a nice stadium though.
Considering the attendance at most bowl games, it would be a nice change of pace to see a mostly full stadium for a bowl game.

just what is needed, even more undeserving teams getting bowl games
All it is, is an extra game on the schedule. I'd rather Pitt get an undeserved bowl bid, because that would mean there is actually JUST ONE bowl that I will want to watch.

it's exhausting? Watching college football on tv is exhausting?

The same people complaining about these bowl games are the ones saying we should schedule more MAC caliber games and more d1-aa games. Playing a bowl eligible P5 team in late December is boring but playing new Hampshire in September is great fun, lol.

you know you don't have to watch every game during "bowl season." You can just watch a game or two, or none at all. Or you can watch a game and if it gets too "exhausting" then you can use that remote control thingy and change the channel until you regain your energy during this exhaustive experience. I think, not 100% sure yet but I think you may even have the ability to get up off the couch and do something else during bowl season.

you guys are all lunatics, every one of you.
Exactly, I only watch Pitt's bowl game from beginning to end. Or maybe a game I am interested in, like last year I wanted to see UCF/Auburn, the rest, I might not watch at all or maybe a few minutes here or there, even the championship, I rarely watch that, because I'd rather go to sleep because I work on Tuesday and usually hate any of the teams that are there (BAMA) every single time so I don't care.

So kids feel better watching the school that's recruiting him have 60 dropped on them as half the crowd is dozing off and the national media craps all over you for a freebie for anyone that stays versus handling a pedestrian game you should win? Not sure how you're luring a big time player if you can't show them you're at least capable of winning. At this point, I can't decide if you're a masochist or you just like to argue because Pitt has been playing a tough schedule for a few years now and has one, unranked recruit, on June 12th.
playing inferior programs in front of 10k on labor day weekend is a no win, for everyone. recruits don't care, fans don't care, these games aren't even picked up outside of espn8.com. watching a game against akron on my computer is a no win.

we are P5, we should play P5 teams. Playing competition in your classification isn't masochist, it's common sense. You want to beat up little sisters of the poor to make your team appear better than they are, I think that's being a C. we disagree, it happens..

Reactions: Mikefln
I don’t think beating Lehigh or Ball State by 50 attracts any more quality recruits than losing big to OK State or Central Florida does
love pitt fans and how they just assume we cant beat a P5 team or even a good non P5 team. with fans like you guys, who needs a rival.

Good. These are just meaningless 13th games. It is no reward to make a bowl game.
No game is meaningless, as a Pitt fan, I watch it for the 3-4 hours of TV ENTERTAINMENT, I don't care if it leads to anything bigger in the future, it's just to pass the time TODAY.

Reactions: Swervin27
I was letting him feel like he accomplished something. Maybe the argument is that crummy recruiting and 5-7 records are okay because Pitt will get to go play Indiana in whatever they call it bowl in Chicago someday.

And we thought playing the MAC champ in Detroit was bad. Pfffft.
I didn't think that was bad, that was an entertaining game, and we won. I enjoyed it, it was meaningful in that I got 4 hours of TV entertainment where I actually cared who won.

Reactions: Swervin27
The recruits care about winning. More wins helps your perception. There is literally no doubt, at all, about that.

True, a kid sitting on the sidelines watching a 59-20 loss to OK St will wonder what he's doing here? But watching a 62-3 beat own of Delaware he'll feel like it's a kick ass team! These aren't rocket scientists, half of them probably don't know what Power 5 means.

Reactions: pittdan77
SMF strikes me as one of those fans that stops watching until next season the day that his team is eliminated from anything "meaningful", I on the other hand would be watching the Steelers in week 16 of an 0-16 season if that ever happened because it's not about winning anything, it's just a TV show that I like and I expect there to be some bad episodes, but I still want to watch every week.

I didn't think that was bad, that was an entertaining game, and we won. I enjoyed it, it was meaningful in that I got 4 hours of TV entertainment where I actually cared who won.

Well yes, winning is more fun. Of course it would be better to build the program up so that Pitt isn't winning the odd bowl game against a G5 every half-dozen years.

Reactions: Pitt79
SMF strikes me as one of those fans that stops watching until next season the day that his team is eliminated from anything "meaningful", I on the other hand would be watching the Steelers in week 16 of an 0-16 season if that ever happened because it's not about winning anything, it's just a TV show that I like and I expect there to be some bad episodes, but I still want to watch every week.
id like to hear SMF's definition of "meaningful." If it's getting to the playoffs, then 98% of all college games are meaningless.. Is a game against Miami in November even though we weren't bowl eligible "meaningful?" Probably not but I watched it and had a blast.

If bowl games aren't meaningful, then games to become bowl eligible aren't meaningful so basically every game last year for pitt after the PSU game wasn't meaningful..

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

id like to hear SMF's definition of "meaningful." If it's getting to the playoffs, then 98% of all college games are meaningless.. Is a game against Miami in November even though we weren't bowl eligible "meaningful?" Probably not but I watched it and had a blast.

If bowl games aren't meaningful, then games to become bowl eligible aren't meaningful so basically every game last year for pitt after the PSU game wasn't meaningful..

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
He also looks at "level", like he would watch a Pittsburgh MLS soccer team, because they are playing for the MLS title "major league", but he won't watch the Riverhounds because they are minor league and not playing for anything "meaningful" and the players are "nobodies", I on the other hand attend minor league sports, for the entertainment value of it, knowing full well that most of the players will always be "NOBODY" and that I make more money than half the team combined, LOL. But it's a night out, entertainment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT