ADVERTISEMENT

More go-go offense success

Bryant, Vanderbilt, UTEP, Hawaii.

They put up 7 on Michigan.
If Pitt played that schedule, scored only 7 vs. Michigan and over 40 against the other 4 and was 4-1, I'd prefer that to the actual Pitt experience this year. That would be awesome compared to what we've witnessed, it would be above all FUN.

Reactions: Burgh15 and 303vND
Why do you folks post stuff like this. The head coach here can no longer ever be fired because of his contract, and he refuses to have offenses like this.

Why do you folks post stuff like this. The head coach here can no longer ever be fired because of his contract, and he refuses to have offenses like this.
Just for fun, message boards are for recreation, just to discuss whatever comes to mind, it doesn't matter if what you want is possible, we know Narduzzi isn't reading this and if he did, we know he'd ignore it, but we're just making conversation, to pass the time.

Reactions: 303vND
I apologize if this has already been asked, but I didn’t feel like diving through all four pages:

Let’s say Marion was named offensive coordinator for 2022. Slovis announced his commitment to Pitt well before Cignetti Jr. was hired, so he was coming here regardless of who the OC was. How well does he fit into the ‘Go-Go’ offense? Doesn’t that require a more mobile QB?

So they went from nearly lifeless to just barely beating Hawaii. When's the parade?
Was the UNLV/Hawaii game closer than what the 44-20 final score indicates? I genuinely don’t know because I don’t follow them. The Rebels also have one more P5 win to their name than we do so far, albeit it was Vanderbilt.

I don’t necessarily disagree with what you’re saying (Air Force/Fresno St/Wyoming are very good), but I’ll give credit where credit is due. Putting up 40+ points in all four of their wins, regardless of the opposition, is impressive.

If Pitt played that schedule, scored only 7 vs. Michigan and over 40 against the other 4 and was 4-1, I'd prefer that to the actual Pitt experience this year. That would be awesome compared to what we've witnessed, it would be above all FUN.
What does the average fan want? Exciting offense? Or wins? If Pitt was 4-1 at this point, regardless of
schedule, a lot of the complaints being voiced here would disappear. The 2018 team had TWO 1,000 yard
rushers. They weren't undefeated but they were "fun" to watch. The problem this year is too many
injuries on the OL. This hurts the passing game also. Jurkovec is more mobile than Slovis by far, but
you can't buy infinite time to throw. Jurkovec has been a problem that's been discussed on here ad nauseum
(missing receivers, screen passes at the back's feet, etc.). The only good offense is one that wins games.

Was the UNLV/Hawaii game closer than what the 44-20 final score indicates? The Rebels also have one more P5 win (Vandy) to their name than we do so far.

I don’t necessarily disagree with what you’re trying to say (Air Force/Fresno St/Wyoming are very good), but I’ll give credit where credit is due. Putting up 40+ points in all four of their wins, regardless of the opposition, is impressive.
UNLV put up 30 or more points a few times last year but the OC wasn't a guy that some Pitt fans have an unnatural obsession with. It's nice they've put more money and effort into the program but their success is not necessarily all because this guy is budding genius.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Had Narduzzi hired Marion and 5 game in Pitt's passing offense was 113th and total offense was 66th.... he would be ridiculed for handing the reigns to Marion and people would be calling for both to be fired.

Reactions: pittdan77
What does the average fan want? Exciting offense? Or wins? If Pitt was 4-1 at this point, regardless of
schedule, a lot of the complaints being voiced here would disappear. The 2018 team had TWO 1,000 yard
rushers. They weren't undefeated but they were "fun" to watch. The problem this year is too many
injuries on the OL. This hurts the passing game also. Jurkovec is more mobile than Slovis by far, but
you can't buy infinite time to throw. Jurkovec has been a problem that's been discussed on here ad nauseum
(missing receivers, screen passes at the back's feet, etc.). The only good offense is one that wins games.
I think a high powered crazy ass pass, pass, pass offense would be FUN, for a change. The most FUN AND ENJOYABLE season in the last 40 years was Kenny throwing for 42 TDs and 4000 yards and winning most games 42-38 on the way to 11-3, I'd love to see something like that again, way more than seeing two 1000-yard rushers.

We should just hire the dude.

Oh wait... We need a cutting edge offense that's "fun"..
If you know me, I love option / smashmouth football where you don't air it out.
My buddies who coach high school teams feel the exact same way, and they are very candid that it's only because very few high school teams have the QB or personnel to succeed in any other way.

With PJ under center, we lose 2-3 of those games. No joke. He's that bad.

Reactions: Pitt79
I think a high powered crazy ass pass, pass, pass offense would be FUN, for a change. The most FUN AND ENJOYABLE season in the last 40 years was Kenny throwing for 42 TDs and 4000 yards and winning most games 42-38 on the way to 11-3, I'd love to see something like that again, way more than seeing two 1000-yard rushers.
The key is 11-3. I don't care how many points you score. Would that season have been "fun" if Pitt hadn't
won the ACC and gone to a NY6 bowl? To quote the late Al Davis "Just win, baby"

The 2018 team had TWO 1,000 yard rushers. They weren't undefeated but they were "fun" to watch.

They were? I must have missed that fun part while I was watching the PSU, UCF, ND, Miami and Clemson games that season.

I will never forget, nor forgive, the 8 yard passing game against Clemson while the announcers and the rest of the world laughed as Pitt continued to try to run the ball, over and over, while down 32 points.

The 2018 team had TWO 1,000 yard rushers. They weren't undefeated but they were "fun" to watch.

They were? I must have missed that fun part while I was watching the PSU, UCF, ND, Miami and Clemson games that season.

I will never forget, nor forgive, the 8 yard passing game against Clemson while the announcers and the rest of the world laughed as Pitt continued to try to run the ball, over and over, while down 32 points.
I don't understand any nostalgia for the 2018 season, it was miserable. Losing by 5 touchdowns to in-state rivals, 4+ touchdowns to a UCF program that wouldn't shut up about an imaginary National Championship, 4+ touchdowns to Clemson in an embarrassing performance solidifying everyone's perception of the Coastal.

Let's not forget giving UNC their only FBS victory for the season.

Sure Pitt won the division, but that year, more than any other, shattered any illusion that the Coastal was a legitimate P5 division.

Had Narduzzi hired Marion and 5 game in Pitt's passing offense was 113th and total offense was 66th.... he would be ridiculed for handing the reigns to Marion and people would be calling for both to be fired.

The numbers are skewed by playing Michigan. That is not an equal opponent.

Marion's Go Go is very much run oriented.

The key is 11-3. I don't care how many points you score. Would that season have been "fun" if Pitt hadn't
won the ACC and gone to a NY6 bowl? To quote the late Al Davis "Just win, baby"
I happen to think they went 11-3 specifically because they had that FUN pass offense scoring 40ppg, if they had those two 1000-yard rushers, I think maybe they are 7-7 or 8-6.

Reactions: pablo33
Still better than conventional old school crap like Narduzzi likes, even though I do prefer tossing it all over the yard all day long like it's a 7on7 game.

UNLV put up 30 or more points a few times last year but the OC wasn't a guy that some Pitt fans have an unnatural obsession with. It's nice they've put more money and effort into the program but their success is not necessarily all because this guy is budding genius.
At least he didn't go in there a screw it up!

I don’t care what offense we run as long as we win.

But when you’re 1-4 and your offense sucks it’s an issue.

Unlv on the other is 4-1 and scored 40 plus points in 4 straight games. I’ll take that

Reactions: 303vND and Ski11585
Kind of a funny side note on Cigs/Marion...

I lived in Alcoa, TN for many years. Had some good friends that coach there and work in administration & we still keep in touch. The kid they have playing QB this year got his first offer from Pitt (Cignetti). He's still an under the radar type of recruit. But from what I've heard, one of the coaches that has been recruiting him the hardest is Marion at UNLV. Still not a lot of other major offers. WKU, Toledo, Washington State, maybe a few others I can't think of right now.

Cody Pagach is the QB's name, btw. I don't even know if Pitt is still interested after getting a commitment from Dugger.

I don’t care what offense we run as long as we win.

But when you’re 1-4 and your offense sucks it’s an issue.

Unlv on the other is 4-1 and scored 40 plus points in 4 straight games. I’ll take that
I do care, because I believe there is offense that is better than other offense, I personally don't believe pounding the rock is a formula for real success in 2023, Duzz should know that his only really successful season had nothing to do with pounding the rock or playing D, but he was angry that airing it out and winning high scoring shootouts won him a P5 championship :)

Kind of a funny side note on Cigs/Marion...

I lived in Alcoa, TN for many years. Had some good friends that coach there and work in administration & we still keep in touch. The kid they have playing QB this year got his first offer from Pitt (Cignetti). He's still an under the radar type of recruit. But from what I've heard, one of the coaches that has been recruiting him the hardest is Marion at UNLV. Still not a lot of other major offers. WKU, Toledo, Washington State, maybe a few others I can't think of right now.

Cody Pagach is the QB's name, btw. I don't even know if Pitt is still interested after getting a commitment from Dugger.

No way! Marion doesn’t recruit!

His #1 goal as a play caller is to make you play single high. That means he wants to pound the rock.
Still better than conventional old school crap like Narduzzi likes, even though I do prefer tossing it all over the yard all day long like it's a 7on7 game.
There is no "better" when it comes to scheme. I don't care what you run. You can skin a cat many ways and all of them work and all of them fail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT