ADVERTISEMENT

More Yellow Flags for NFL Football

NCanton Panther

All American
Sep 22, 2001
Who’s all looking forward to the a new NFL football season in a few months. As if they don’t have enough reasons to throw a yellow flag on defenders already, they now have another one. Can’t wait for all the debates and discussions when a defender gets flagged for his hip drop tackle.

Won’t be long before we’re watching flag football, no pun intended.

Reactions: Dan1911
I have said this and I mean it with not an ounce of sarcasm. They should put flags on the QB. And if they are in the pocket, or even behind the LOS, the defenders must pull off the flags. If they run, then they are a ball carrier like anyone else.

Reactions: 303vND
Is there any other sport that adds, or changes rules every year?

They could improve the sport by having a committee tasked with eliminating 50% of the rules, and they could easily do it without anyone noticing.

As for "player safety'', I'd just go back to maybe 90s rules and just tell the players, if you want to avoid injury or be safe, don't play football, it's getting ridiculous.

Last edited:
playtime-bubble.gif

Reactions: Farnox

They could improve the sport by having a committee tasked with eliminating 50% of the rules, and they could easily do it without anyone noticing.

As for "player safety'', I'd just go back to maybe 90s rules and just tell the players, if you want to avoid injury or be safe, don't play football, it's getting ridiculous.

NFL likes to talk player safety, but they are lobbying hard to go to an 18 game schedule. Of course they aren't serious about safety when you subject players to another regular season game. These changes are window dressing

NFL likes to talk player safety, but they are lobbying hard to go to an 18 game schedule. Of course they aren't serious about safety when you subject players to another regular season game. These changes are window dressing
They also ruin the experience of watching a game, the goal should be, the real POINT OF EMPHASIS should be to throw as few flags as possible, really none at all unless something is blatantly obvious.

and now this

It's odd looking, but on the bright side it will lead to almost every kickoff being returned because you are severely penalized for kicking it out of the end zone.

Maybe they can bring back nicknames on the back of jerseys like “He Hate Me” and then have guys sprint to midfield to determine who gets the ball.

WTF is going on around here?

The NFL will proudly announce how seriously they take player safety. They'll continue to fine players large amounts for hits that don't draw a flag.

The NFL will also continue to play night games in the northeast in January. And then they will go out and push for an 18th game. The players union will cave in to it, and they'll forget everything they said about player safety.

EDIT: I think the end game is to get the season to stretch further into February, thus having President's Day be the defacto Monday holiday for Super Bowl Sunday

I cannot believe that any of the rule changes doesn't evoke a time limit on replays. There's "getting it right" and then there is parsing it down to the minutae of milliseconds that makes a play become completely subjective to over analysis.

Reactions: Pitt79
I cannot believe that any of the rule changes doesn't evoke a time limit on replays. There's "getting it right" and then there is parsing it down to the minutae of milliseconds that makes a play become completely subjective to over analysis.
If they want to emulate the XFL, they should emulate their replay review system, it's great, a guy watches the game, and he'll stop the game if something seems really obviously wrong, then he has a minute to decide and they stick to the minute, if he can't see evidence in that time it's play on, the coaches get only one challenge and they can challenge anything, if they lose they lose a time out, and that's it, in the XFL games replay was fast and enjoyable, the ref in the booth was miked up and explained his decision as he viewed it, it was 100% transparent.

For all of the people who quit watching the NFL or claim it's unwatchable, there sure are a lot of people watching.
I can still watch it, I just wonder why they seem to think it's better to have more rules, reviews and stoppages? The less flags and reviews the better. Actually, the minor leagues like UFL is a more enjoyable game, because they have less stoppages and reviews and seem to throw less flags. It may be because they don't want it to run over 3 hours, but that's a good thing either way.

I think we'll see these defenders just hit low, and injuries won't change. Then they'll outlaw hits below the waist. There will be a 3 cm band where a tackler can touch a player.

For all of the people who quit watching the NFL or claim it's unwatchable, there sure are a lot of people watching.
Well let's remember some of the TV programs that were #1 rated like the A Team, the stupid Star or Talent shows etc...

I just saw somewhere posted the weekly prime time ratings for TV from 1974. Remember, this was then where there were only ABC, CBS and NBC. No cable channels. PBS also existed. Monday Night Football was ranked like 16th. I can't imagine any NFL game now in Primetime being anywhere less than 5, if not 1 or 2 with the others being another NFL game.

nothing like those good old rock 'em sock 'em 90s....

Well let's remember some of the TV programs that were #1 rated like the A Team, the stupid Star or Talent shows etc...

I just saw somewhere posted the weekly prime time ratings for TV from 1974. Remember, this was then where there were only ABC, CBS and NBC. No cable channels. PBS also existed. Monday Night Football was ranked like 16th. I can't imagine any NFL game now in Primetime being anywhere less than 5, if not 1 or 2 with the others being another NFL game.
People love the NFL and are watching in record numbers. The money and the expanding schedule proves it.

Reactions: bwh05
I can still watch it, I just wonder why they seem to think it's better to have more rules, reviews and stoppages? The less flags and reviews the better. Actually, the minor leagues like UFL is a more enjoyable game, because they have less stoppages and reviews and seem to throw less flags. It may be because they don't want it to run over 3 hours, but that's a good thing either way.
Well, it's like this, the NHL is always joked about as a garage league because a guy like Tom Wilson can take out your best player early in a series and get less of a suspension than the number of games the superstar misses. The best players are rarely still competing at a high level -- if at all -- deep into the playoffs because of that garbage. The NFL decided a long time ago that preventable injuries make for a better product.

And as for the flags, I really doubt eliminating this tackle will be a problem. Like the horse collar tackle. Players will avoid doing it most of the time. Was flagged 25 times in the past two season. Pretty minimal when you consider there are 544 regular season games. Maybe once a week.

Well, it's like this, the NHL is always joked about as a garage league because a guy like Tom Wilson can take out your best player early in a series and get less of a suspension than the number of games the superstar misses. The best players are rarely still competing at a high level -- if at all -- deep into the playoffs because of that garbage. The NFL decided a long time ago that preventable injuries make for a better product.

And as for the flags, I really doubt eliminating this tackle will be a problem. Like the horse collar tackle. Players will avoid doing it most of the time. Was flagged 25 times in the past two season. Pretty minimal when you consider there are 544 regular season games. Maybe once a week.
There are plenty of rules that if they were eliminated or rarely called, nobody would care or notice. If you ever watch the spring leagues, you'll see a lot less flags and reviews and you really don't feel like anything is missing or wrong.

NFL at it again. Dominate every day of the year or so it seems. Prostate massage the rule book every season in an attempt to create more offense and more penalties that have to be reviewed.

Ratings keep going up

There are plenty of rules that if they were eliminated or rarely called, nobody would care or notice. If you ever watch the spring leagues, you'll see a lot less flags and reviews and you really don't feel like anything is missing or wrong.
Right, and few people watch those games. The X League or something along those lines threw most of those rules out and it failed. NFL knows what they're doing.

Right, and few people watch those games. The X League or something along those lines threw most of those rules out and it failed. NFL knows what they're doing.
So, you like more stoppages and flags? I'm not saying the talent is better, but the rules and officiating are far better as play usually goes on and we watch sport not guys in striped shirts making announcements. If the NFL "threw most of those rules out" as you say, would fans in your opinion be upset and quit watching, complaining that there aren't enough flags and reviews? NFL knows what it's doing, more flags, reviews and stoppages are "what the fans want"? Fans watch the NFL because it's the best talent, not because of the rules and reviews.

So, you like more stoppages and flags? I'm not saying the talent is better, but the rules and officiating are far better as play usually goes on and we watch sport not guys in striped shirts making announcements. If the NFL "threw most of those rules out" as you say, would fans in your opinion be upset and quit watching, complaining that there aren't enough flags and reviews? NFL knows what it's doing, more flags, reviews and stoppages are "what the fans want"? Fans watch the NFL because it's the best talent, not because of the rules and reviews.
Nailed it with that last sentence. Nobody cares about the flags so long as the best talent is playing. The NFL feels compelled to keep the best players on the field and uninjured so they create rules to protect the talent. None of this is hard to understand.

Nailed it with that last sentence. Nobody cares about the flags so long as the best talent is playing. The NFL feels compelled to keep the best players on the field and uninjured so they create rules to protect the talent. None of this is hard to understand.
Less stoppages would be better, and less reviews and less penalties wouldn't lead to more injuries, lots of penalties and stoppages do nothing to protect player health. And you're wrong, I always hear people say they watch less and less because of constant flags and stoppages.

Less stoppages would be better, and less reviews and less penalties wouldn't lead to more injuries, lots of penalties and stoppages do nothing to protect player health. And you're wrong, I always hear people say they watch less and less because of constant flags and stoppages.
The people you talk to obviously know more than the people in charge.

• Haha
The people you talk to obviously know more than the people in charge.
We're just fans, we're not in charge, can't we have an opinion that the viewing experience would be better with less flags, reviews and stoppages? we will still watch, but unlike you who just accepts any sh1t they shovel at you without complaint, aren't we allowed to express an opinion about what we'd prefer, EVEN KNOWING that nothing we say will change anything ever?

People love the NFL and are watching in record numbers. The money and the expanding schedule proves it.
No kidding. That's what you got from my post? I am just saying how big the NFL is now, it only really started getting popular in the 70's.

Do you have an opinion of your own, or is your answer always, "whatever the people in charge decide is always the best"?

I think people would be "fine" with reviews if they are timed and a finite limit to make a decision/conclusion. I said 1 minute should be enough....if it is inconclusive after this time, they stick with the call on the field. The problem is......these reviews are a great opportunity to run some more..............COMMERCIALS!!!

I think people would be "fine" with reviews if they are timed and a finite limit to make a decision/conclusion. I said 1 minute should be enough....if it is inconclusive after this time, they stick with the call on the field. The problem is......these reviews are a great opportunity to run some more..............COMMERCIALS!!!
Did you watch any XFL games last year? they're execution of a replay review system was very good, never went more than a minute and totally transparent as the reviewer gave you the rationale behind his decision as he viewed it.

Christmas day is for the NBA. The NFL can piss off.

I'm old enough to remember when the only sporting event broadcast on Christmas day was the Blue-Gray college all star game.

I'm sure the NFL saw the ratings last year for Christmas day and their eyes filled with dollar signs as usual. I like football as much as anyone, but Christmas day is not a "football" day, like Thanksgiving is. Even worse was the Steeler Christmas eve night game the year before that.

The greed of the NFL knows no bounds. It is when not if for the 18 game schedule, and the Super bowl spills later into february to take advantage of the presidents day holiday. But yeah, let's talk player safety NFL.

Last edited:
On the one hand, how do you tackle a 260lb TE if you aren't head-on with him?

On the other hand, this is largely as 2000s invention and has a far higher injury rate than any other play in football.

Did you watch any XFL games last year? they're execution of a replay review system was very good, never went more than a minute and totally transparent as the reviewer gave you the rationale behind his decision as he viewed it.
No

We're just fans, we're not in charge, can't we have an opinion that the viewing experience would be better with less flags, reviews and stoppages?
You have lots of opinions and love expressing them. Same with your buddies. Good ones, bad ones, weird ones... you do you. Just don't tell people they're wrong because the facts don't align with your opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT