ADVERTISEMENT

My Miami Thoughts

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Not really sure it makes sense to get into the stats and individual analysis on this one. Obviously the 20 turnovers set the stage for this one. It is so much more than that though. There is no shame in losing to Miami. But that was just embarrassing. I saw very little effort or resistance. The comments in the post game about being tired and beat up were quite telling, and they certainly looked like it last night. I still can't believe how many times they just watched Waardenburg drive down the lane for a dunk. Like the seas parting. No one even getting close to him. And this is a player that is a secondary scorer that is an average athlete that mostly scores via the three.

That is two straight home games with very little energy and focus. It feels like that North Carolina win was all that they needed. Instead of using it as a springboard to build off of, they have basically checked out of the following week. It ended up 21 points, but that was closer to a 41 point deficit basically. The turnovers by the guards are just astonishing. Several where no one is even near them, just fumbling the ball or throwing it right to a defender. It just feels like there needs to be so much effort for them to handle the ball and execute offense. And when it breaks down ever so slightly, the flood gates open. They just pass it around and take turns turning it over.

This team is not as good as Miami, but they are better than this. They play like they are coached. Always an excuse. It is the officials, too tired, they had to travel, guys are hurt. As a leader, you cannot make excuses. Even when there is a valid excuse, you can't make them. Most human beings want the easy answer or route in life. With anything. If you reveal the slightest bit of an excuse, it opens the door. Last night, it felt like a couple early turnovers and players basically felt like it wasn't their night. They made their run to get back into it, but you can't play like that. They aren't good enough to get into deficits.

They run offense and there is obviously a plan, but it just isn't good enough. He clearly does not know how to reach this team. He can't. Maybe there is just a year where you have chemistry problems and a coach just can't get the best out of the group. It happens. But for whatever reason, it has been the story of his tenure here. He has not been able to reach the group he has assembled in four years. Sure the talent isn't great, but I don't think they are getting the most out of players either.

He doesn't even call timeouts when they are needed. Like at least go through the motions and call a timeout. Maybe it does nothing, but at least give them the vibe that you are trying to stop a run. I don't think Payton, Santos, Max, etc. are going to give you much. But there comes a point in time when you have to use those guys to make a point. If I was coaching and watched Waardenburg coast down the lane like he was in a lay up line, it is an immediate timeout and five subs are going in. I don't care if I have to include managers in the substitution. You are getting pounded with these guys, so what is the difference? You have to take a stand at some point and send a message. Then when the five starters are sitting on the bench, they can figure it out together. I know that he has tried that with individuals this year, and it hasn't seemed to work. So I don't know, maybe it is even deeper than that.

I don't have the answers. I just know that when I watch this team last night, it is just begging for leadership. Maybe that has to come from a player too. But when you are paid millions of dollars to lead young men, you have to find the answers. Mike Lombardi always says that the Head Coach should be named the Chief Figure it Out Officer. At the end of the day, you have to figure it out. It really is that simple. In four years now, we have flashes and excuses. In simple terms. The Duke game, North Carolina. A few more bright spots, but nothing built from that. Nothing has carried over and led to anything. Just flashes to confuse fans. It is exciting when these games happen, and you can start talking yourself into a vision of how you see things improving. But when you take a minute and step back to look at the big picture, it is quite troubling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News