ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts on RJ Davis

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
It's unfortunate due to the amount of time spent, but RJ was always a luxury recruit. Of course it would have been nice to add that type of talent. He clearly wasn't concerned with competition, as he ended up choosing Carolina.

The reason it was a luxury is because Xavier is probably a three year player. If somehow he develops and takes things to the next level, then it will mean Pitt had a good year and it should be easier to replace him at that time. Let's say he averages ~18, 7, and 5 and becomes a clear first rounder, it will help Capel find his replacement. Now he can go out and say that X is definitely gone to the NBA, and now he needs someone to step in immediately and he can do the same thing for them. Xavier was a three star recruit that did not have a big name. That would only help.

So the question becomes, who is available? Well they don't truly NEED a point guard until Xavier leaves. Of course it would be nice to add a quality point guard to develop behind them. However, the dilemma becomes whether or not you add a lesser prospect just to get a body at the position, or roll the dice a bit and wait in hopes of filling with a better player that is ready right away in 2021? To me, I think he would be better off waiting.

Obviously there were ties to Curbelo and Moore. The problem is that they spent so much time on Davis that it would be nearly impossible to get back into the mix with these two kids. Especially with Curbelo. There are always kids that become available in the spring with coaching changes, early departures, etc.

This is still a bit of a tough sell for Capel. The whole time he was recruiting RJ, he was selling with uncertainty. We will see if he decides to move his focus at the position in this class, or wait and aim higher again in 2021. At this point, he has done what he has needed to do. Hugley was beyond critical. Collier and Amadasun are quality additions. Things are still trending up. If I am Capel, I stay on the kids that I have spent the time with, and continue to aim high with Timberlake and Hall. Don't settle just to fill a spot with a body, because 2021 can be a special class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News