ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts on the Transfers

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
We have seen far too many transfers over the years here, especially that last few years. With that being said, you could see one more wave coming. After this season, things should settle and you will see less turnover. It isn't done yet.

Let me start out by saying that both kids seem like nice, good kids. No reason to dive too deep into it. I don't really understand the mid-year transfer, but I guess it could be best if a kid is that unhappy.

Peace was loved by his teammates, just doesn't belong at the high major level. For someone 6'9, I have never seen a player play so small. One of the biggest reaches we have seen for the ACC/Big East level.

Shamiel is basically a 3.5, and never won this staff over. He was out of shape all offseason and never worked himself out of it. Strong kid that can jump, but there was nothing that stood out for a kid who was undersized and needed to do something great to fit in.

I definitely think we see at least one more player transfer out. Capel will then have most of the roster turned over and can fill with his guys. Most of the issues will be gone. With that being said, a lot of work needs to be done. Look for the staff to hit 2020 kids hard and see who could be a candidate to move up a year. It worked well for them last year, and you can bet they will try it again. Another option could be to take a mid-year transfer. There will be plenty of space and there isn't a single commitment yet.

A lot of talent locally. DJ Gordon was a 2019 kid at one point, so he could be a candidate. To me, he could be a nice role piece, but is not the stud they need. A lot of work needs to be done to win Ethan Morton over. Do not expect him to move up. William Jeffress is an absolute stud that is a top 30 player in his class. Donovan Johnson and Isaiah Warfield are two more younger kids to keep an eye on moving forward.

The short-term answers are not coming in the form of local kids. Morton and Jeffress will probably become must-gets for Capel. Of course, the coaches have really struggled to close on the local talent for years. Capel needs to be the guy to reverse this trend.

This 2019 class is critical. They need at least two bigs. They can literally take best available at every position across the board. There are three good freshmen to build with, but there is zero depth and size. The chance to play right away in the ACC is there. It will be all about the sell job and vision. The season should be more competitive this year, but it will not be easy to start, especially with N'Dir out for about a month. The margin for error is still very small, they just have more talent.

We will see how they handle things now. With more spots, they can afford to be more aggressive and you need to see a commitment soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News