ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts With Four +1? To Go

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
This team has hit a wall. For whatever reason. It has come much later than last year, but they just seem done. Going 1-2 over the three game stretch they just had tells you everything. It would be nice if they could find a way to win a couple of more and finish strong.

Jeff Capel is clearly frustrated. He has been, and you have seen the signs all year. He has always told the truth and been honest. It is one of his best qualities. I believe last night was as strong as he has been with exactly what he took over. Now, he signed up for that and it doesn't excuse everything. There is no doubt that it is true and the job that he has done has been impressive. He is also correct in the time that it takes.

My concern at this point is the player development and strategy with building the roster. Some of the key players have not developed, and there is still no shooting in the pipeline. When you watch this team, the court is just so incredibly small on offense. On the other side, it appears to be bigger. It seems like such a strange and simple observation, but it speaks to the issues. There is no room because it is so difficult to create any spacing without shooters. There aren't many opportunities to make post entries for easy baskets either. Everything on offense right now looks to be such a challenge.

In conference play, these are the percentages from three; Justin (28%), Xavier and Trey (29%), Au'Diese (35%), Ryan (38%), and Gerald (13%). From inside the arc, Xavier (34%), Trey (32%), Ryan (34%). Just so incredibly hard to win like this.

Which leads me to this question, what is the offensive philosophy/approach? I don't know that answer yet. It appears that he favors athletes that can create on their own in the screen and roll game.

Even if they are able to add Jeffress and Femi, where is the shooting? They will naturally be better next year, but there still isn't enough shooting. So how much better?

I think part of the reason Capel is so frustrated is because we have not seen college basketball, and the ACC specifically, this bad in years. I can't remember a year where it was this bad. So part of it is failing to take advantage. On the other hand, it has allowed them to be competitive and for the program to keep the momentum despite not being as far along as some of us may have thought.

Long term, does Capel value analytics? Basically outside shooting and a roster approach to highlight efficiency. Or is he accumulating athletes and talent? Is he just taking the latter approach due to where they are as a program? I don't know. I think he wants as much talent as he can get, and just let it go. He doesn't like to micromanage possessions and coach a player to exhaustion. If everything goes as planned, this roster will be in the best shape it has been in years. I just worry about the lack of shooting. Can guys improve their shot and develop under this staff? We don't have the sample size to answer that.

There is no question that Capel took over an absolute mess. There is also no debate on the progress that has been made. There is true momentum and improvement. It does take time and there are reasons to believe that it can get much better, starting next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News