ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi After a Bye

RingDinger

Redshirt
Aug 2, 2019
Someone mentioned us not doing so well after a bye, so I figured I'd look it up, since we have two bye weeks in the next month and change. It's kind weird when they do the Thursday night games, because you're getting a 12-day layoff followed by 9-day layoff, as opposed to 14 and 7. But here are the numbers:

2015:

Won at Virginia Tech 17-13 after traditional 14-day layoff. As I recall, our defense was phenomenal that day. This came after an emotional 3-point loss at Iowa.

We also lost 42-30 against Notre Dame after a 9-day layoff, but I don't think that should count, as it was after a Thursday night game that was played on a short 5-day week, as opposed to the 12/9-day layoffs I mentioned.

2016:

Lost to Virginia Tech 39-36 on a Thursday night after a 12-day layoff. We came out very sloppy for that one and dug ourselves in a huge hole. It was the night Narduzzi had a conniption with the officials.

Lost at Miami 51-28 after the 9-day layoff.

2017:

Lost to UNC 34-31 after a 12-day layoff. That was probably UNC's worst team, and it was the game we gave up a kick return for a touchdown and then Henderson fumbled at the goal line.

Lost at Virginia Tech 20-14 after the subsequent 9-day layoff. That was the goal line stand game.

2018:

Won against Duke 54-45 after the traditional 14-day layoff. V'Lique the Freak's coming-out party.

So, all in all, we're 2-2 after official bye weeks, and we're 2-5 in games following a layoff of at least 9 days. Given the opponents (ND was just plain better than us, and we struggle often against Miami), I'm not sure how much of a trend you can consider that.

This year, we will play at Syracuse after a 13-day layoff, against North Carolina after a 12-day layoff, and then at Virginia Tech after a 9-day layoff. Just going to have to stay hungry.

What are you opinions on the whole two bye week thing? It looks like it's simply a matter of how the calendar shakes out. We also had two bye weeks in 2013 and 2014. I actually don't hate it, and I think they should consider doing it every year (same goes for the NFL). You can lengthen the season a bit and allow the players' bodies to heal: Win/win, if you ask me. Miami actually has three bye weeks this year because of that Florida game.

Interesting info but I think this team is perhaps the most talented overall he’s had. So I don’t think history is relevant in this case. The current bye is much needed after three emotional games in four weeks combined with the need to get players healed up and rested. No excuse for losing to the cuse

Interesting info but I think this team is perhaps the most talented overall he’s had. So I don’t think history is relevant in this case. The current bye is much needed after three emotional games in four weeks combined with the need to get players healed up and rested. No excuse for losing to the cuse
Our offense is tied for 118th in D1 in scoring averaging 19 ppg. 75th in total offense.

this is the deepest, most talented and best defense Narduzzi has had. The offense is the exact opposite.

kind of the reverse mirror image of the 2016 team.

The Offense will need to tighten up and be more disciplined for future games and definitely at the Dome on a Friday night. It'll get loud!!
Penalties need to drop and the routes need to be precise. Would be nice to get the run game going somewhat. Get some injured guys back too.

Reactions: RingDinger
The Offense will need to tighten up and be more disciplined for future games and definitely at the Dome on a Friday night. It'll get loud!!
Penalties need to drop and the routes need to be precise. Would be nice to get the run game going somewhat. Get some injured guys back too.
They need to try getting into the end zone a few times for a change as well.

The D will hold up its end of the bargain. This will be the nation's #118 scoring offense versus the nation's #103 team in total defense. Syracuse is poor defensively. No excuses for the offense this week.

Reactions: Rayz5089
I'm not expecting syracuse to be very loud. They lost all momentum they had this season with the blowouts against maryland and clemson. I don't expect them to beat a really bad NC state team this week either.

When I was in the Carrier Dome for a football game back in Tino's sophomore year, it wasn't loud at all. It's not hoops.

It was actually an interesting place to watch a game, if only because I had never been to a domed football game before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT